+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Player ratings v Barrow

When I trained as a ref we were encouraged to categorise fouls as careless, reckless or made with excessive force endangering the opponent. These categories then directly related to the punishments as follows.

Careless is a free kick
    Reckless merits a yellow card
    Use of excessive force is a red card.

Afaik this method is still being used so the ref decided it was a reckless challenge and not made with excessive force. Obviously this is opinion but to me it was a deliberate trip not a scything down at the knee so I reckon he just about got it right. Barrow decided to sub the offender pretty quickly so they knew it must have been close.

It wasn't denying a goal scoring opportunity as two Barrow defenders were between the ball and goal.

For what its worth imo this was the worst ref we've had at the Lane this season. The Barrow no. 8 twice ran in from distance to confront Notts players and wasn't even spoken too. Each of these should have been a mandatory yellow otherwise you're not controlling the game. He was constantly being distracted by players and didn't seem to use his assistants very well often seeming at odds with them over direction of throw ins.

Would be interesting to see what the assessor made of his performance.

I think it's an area where the rules need a bit of tweaking. I agree that a yellow was the right decision how they currently are, but the combination of it stopping a very dangerous attack, being from behind and quite aggressive, and completely deliberate makes it feel like it really should be a red card.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post
    When I trained as a ref we were encouraged to categorise fouls as careless, reckless or made with excessive force endangering the opponent. These categories then directly related to the punishments as follows.

Careless is a free kick

Afaik this method is still being used so the ref decided it was a reckless challenge and not made with excessive force. Obviously this is opinion but to me it was a deliberate trip not a scything down at the knee so I reckon he just about got it right. Barrow decided to sub the offender pretty quickly so they knew it must have been close.

It wasn't denying a goal scoring opportunity as two Barrow defenders were between the ball and goal.

For what its worth imo this was the worst ref we've had at the Lane this season. The Barrow no. 8 twice ran in from distance to confront Notts players and wasn't even spoken too. Each of these should have been a mandatory yellow otherwise you're not controlling the game. He was constantly being distracted by players and didn't seem to use his assistants very well often seeming at odds with them over direction of throw ins.

That's a very informative explanation so thanks for that. Still must have been close to a red considering the force of sliding in from behind after running 50 yards at full pelt.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I think it's an area where the rules need a bit of tweaking. I agree that a yellow was the right decision how they currently are, but the combination of it stopping a very dangerous attack, being from behind and quite aggressive, and completely deliberate makes it feel like it really should be a red card.
    I agree. My view is that it’s not actually a tackle, because there’s no attempt to remove the ball from Jodi, it’s deliberately removing Jodi from the ball. If the player (and his manager) think a yellow card is worth taking to stop a dangerous attack, it’s not enough punishment. It was much worse than shirt tugging or a mistimed tackle, it was an unsafe challenge which, if repeated enough times, would result in a serious injury. This wasn’t the perfectly timed Stubbs sliding tackle, it was something much uglier.

I think we are all saying the same thing that a yellow card didn't fell like sufficient punishment and it spoils the excitement of the game.

Orange card maybe with 10 mins in the sin bin like Rugby Union?

Careless is a free kick

On Magpie Circle, Mark Stallard said he thought he was ok.

I think we are all saying the same thing that a yellow card didn't fell like sufficient punishment and it spoils the excitement of the game.

Orange card maybe with 10 mins in the sin bin like Rugby Union?
    Having an orange card is another unnecessary stupid idea along with the way var is used.

Careless is a free kick

Very informative but it doesnt explain the yellow in my eyes.it wasnt a trip, it was excessive force used to chop him down that's equals red I believe in the categories provided.Red all day long for me !!!

Anyone refereeing or acting as an assistant in the EFL will be a good referee as it takes several years moving up through the levels and leagues to get there. Even if fast tracked.

This guy has several years experience in the MSL over the pond so you could say he has international experience. Moved to the UK last autumn according to t'internet.

Just my opinion that he was the worst I've seen at the lane this season. He wasn't dreadful though I've seen worse.

I didn't get near EFL standard even as assistant so I ain't qualified to be slagging of an EPL ref. But as fans we all have our opinions. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Having an orange card is another unnecessary stupid idea along with the way var is used.
    I think it's a good idea for certain situations that don't quite merit a red but as it's another thing for an official to get wrong and not apply consistently I wouldn't bother.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast