+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manchester City v Burnley Match Preview

Manchester City v Burnley Match Preview

It is at this stage of the season the Citizens normally switch on the afterburners and power their way to yet another Premier League title. Currently they trail leaders Liverpool by 5 points but they have a game in hand and they will be keen to ensure that Jurgen Klopp does not cap off his swansong season in English football with the Reds as League Champions. While Liverpool have a testing home game on Wednesday evening against fast improving Chelsea, Manchester City will hope to narrow the gap on their title rivals by beating Burnley at the Etihad.

Vincent Kompany had great success as a player with Manchester City but as Burnley manager he has already tasted defeat twice against Pep Guardiola’s all conquering City without yet registering a goal in reply. A comprehensive 6-0 FA Cup quarter final defeat last season was followed by a salutary 0-3 loss in Kompany’s very first game in charge as a Premier League manager. The chances of the Clarets taking any points from this latest encounter are slim indeed. Kevin De Bruyne is already back for City with Erling Haaland also set to return after fracturing a bone in his foot in his foot in the 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa in early December. Even without De Bruyne and Haaland City can call on the mercurial talents of Grealish, Foden and Silva in attack along with livewire winger Jeremy Doku. The impressive Doku has 5 assists to go with his 2 goals in 12 PL appearances.

Burnley, who have sent Michael Obafemi out on loan to Millwall, may well give a debut to striker David Fofana who has joined on loan from Chelsea. Fofana will compete for a place in the starting line up with Odobert, Foster and Amdouni. Few changes however are expected to the team which drew 1-1 at home to Luton. This was yet another Premier League game mired in VAR controversy as Luton were awarded a late equalising goal despite what many saw as a clear foul on Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford. It is to be hoped that the game at the Etihad will be decided by skill on the pitch and not some farcical error at Stockley Park.

I expect Burnley to score against Manchester City for the first time in Vincent Kompany’s reign but it should not be enough to halt the Etihad juggernaut. A comfortable home win then but I thought exactly the same about Ipswich and Maidstone United on Saturday and I was completely wrong there so who knows? COYC!

(The Deputy Ed).

“after fracturing a bone in his foot in his foot”. Obviously quite a nasty fracture as it split in his foot into two pieces. I need to proof read my posts!

Thank you for this Sir Outwood I did not know the injury was so bad.

Haaland has scored 5 against us in the games we have played them since he signed for City. I’m sure Pep would like him to make his return against us and get a flying start. Hopefully we can deny them that.

Quote Originally Posted by WillPark View Post
    Haaland has scored 5 against us in the games we have played them since he signed for City. I’m sure Pep would like him to make his return against us and get a flying start. Hopefully we can deny them that.
    Haaland is certainly more than just a pain in the foot to us Will. We shall need to tread very carefully if and when Pep brings him on.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Haaland is certainly more than just a pain in the foot to us Will. We shall need to tread very carefully if and when Pep brings him on.
    It's not just Haaland, it's very likely De Bruyne will be unleashed on us as well. But does any of it really matter, Gundogan and Mahrez left in summer, they lost De Bruyne and Stones injured, then Haaland but their record over the last 20 games is W15, D4, L1.
    Far better teams than us struggle to cope with City. Anything other than a mullering will be a bonus, take it on the chin and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's not just Haaland, it's very likely De Bruyne will be unleashed on us as well. But does any of it really matter, Gundogan and Mahrez left in summer, they lost De Bruyne and Stones injured, then Haaland but their record over the last 20 games is W15, D4, L1.
    Far better teams than us struggle to cope with City. Anything other than a mullering will be a bonus, take it on the chin and move on.
    At least we are competitive in the main, it will be interesting to see if VK decides to close shop and keep the score line respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    At least we are competitive in the main, it will be interesting to see if VK decides to close shop and keep the score line respectable.
    I don't see any other option, they will have 70/80% possesion and when they have the ball we have to defend. Only Aston Villa have played City off the park in recent years and that was a one off, we aren't about to become the 2nd team to do it. Park the bus and try to keep them to five, you know it makes sense.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)