+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 3 US troops killed and 34 injured

3 US troops killed and 34 injured

Knowing the age profile on this forum it will be grandda's army that will be conscripted not dad's army....🪖🪖

Lots of chatter about world war 3 of late. When countries carry huge debts such as the USA (32 TRILLION DOLLARS) they say a good war wipes out these debts.

Of course, none of this-Russia invading Ukraine, the situation in Gaza, the escalating conflict in the Middle East, China threatening Taiwan or Kim Jong Un's current sabre rattling-would have happened if Donnie had still been President. Why? Because he said so 😁

Here's the thing though, whilst Trump would have undoubtedly weakened NATO by drastically reducing US funding, he did seem to find a better rapport with autocrats like Putin and Xi Jingping and even "little rocket man" whilst taking a much firmer line with Iran. Maybe there is something in his boasts after all-perhaps these leaders recognized another nutter when they saw one and might have been more wary of him than Biden or most European leaders. I mean, Rishi is hardly scary is he? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post

Here's the thing though, whilst Trump would have undoubtedly weakened NATO by drastically reducing US funding, he did seem to find a better rapport with autocrats like Putin and Xi Jingping and even "little rocket man" whilst taking a much firmer line with Iran. Maybe there is something in his boasts after all-perhaps these leaders recognized another nutter when they saw one and might have been more wary of him than Biden or most European leaders. I mean, Rishi is hardly scary is he? 🤔
    Sure....The name Neville Chamberlain springs to mind reading the above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Sure....The name Neville Chamberlain springs to mind reading the above post.

I'm not at all endorsing the Orange One Dubs. Chamberlain was naive but he had a genuine desire to avoid dragging Britain back into a war which reflected the feelings of the vast majority in this country for whom the Great War of only 20 years past was no distant memory. He-and many other European leaders-were so blinkered by this desire that they enabled Hitler who saw quite quickly that he could easily take a mile if offered an inch. I don't think Trump is like this at all in as much that I do not believe that he is fearful of war in itself but he is certainly an isolationist who would not support Europe if Putin did expand his "special operation" beyond Ukraine. As for what American support for Ukraine itself would look like should he get a second term, he has made his intentions about this quite clear already!

Isolationism might seem attractive to super powers particularly but in an increasingly globally linked world it has severe shortcomings as even the British at the height of Empire reluctantly concluded. History shows us that America was also overwhelmingly still in favour of an isolationist stance even as late as 1939 and FDR had to work very hard at getting various programmes underway to support the British war effort. Had Pearl Harbour not happened its doubtful that America would have entered the war and the consequences for Europe-and ourselves-may have been very different. As it is, we owe Churchill (for all his faults) and FDR a great debt of gratitude. In the process, of course, it was also their very involvement in WW2 that made America so rich and powerful in the first place.

The more I read about FDR -and even subsequent presidents like Truman and Eisenhower-the more glaringly obvious become Trump's failings and unsuitabilty for that office. His MAGA rhetoric may hark back to the post war days of genuine American power and affluence but he is a corrupt naracisst whose bluster is likely both hollow as well as dangerous.

All this talk of a coming WW3 may be an exaggeration but sticking our heads in the sand is the last thing we should do and I certainly think we should pay some heed to the current spate of warnings. The continued erosion of our own military and defensive capabilities is definitely something that needs urgently addressing and if Trump has his way we won't be getting too much in the way of US support in this area. Worrying times indeed , especially given the nature of other leaders like those of Russia, China, N.Korea, India, Iran and Israel who threaten global stability. How did we come to this?

Joe Biden is confused , he think's Iran is an Olympic track race .

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    I'm not at all endorsing the Orange One Dubs. Chamberlain was naive but he had a genuine desire to avoid dragging Britain back into a war which reflected the feelings of the vast majority in this country for whom the Great War of only 20 years past was no distant memory. He-and many other European leaders-were so blinkered by this desire that they enabled Hitler who saw quite quickly that he could easily take a mile if offered an inch. I don't think Trump is like this at all in as much that I do not believe that he is fearful of war in itself but he is certainly an isolationist who would not support Europe if Putin did expand his "special operation" beyond Ukraine. As for what American support for Ukraine itself would look like should he get a second term, he has made his intentions about this quite clear already!

Isolationism might seem attractive to super powers particularly but in an increasingly globally linked world it has severe shortcomings as even the British at the height of Empire reluctantly concluded. History shows us that America was also overwhelmingly still in favour of an isolationist stance even as late as 1939 and FDR had to work very hard at getting various programmes underway to support the British war effort. Had Pearl Harbour not happened its doubtful that America would have entered the war and the consequences for Europe-and ourselves-may have been very different. As it is, we owe Churchill (for all his faults) and FDR a great debt of gratitude. In the process, of course, it was also their very involvement in WW2 that made America so rich and powerful in the first place.

The more I read about FDR -and even subsequent presidents like Truman and Eisenhower-the more glaringly obvious become Trump's failings and unsuitabilty for that office. His MAGA rhetoric may hark back to the post war days of genuine American power and affluence but he is a corrupt naracisst whose bluster is likely both hollow as well as dangerous.

All this talk of a coming WW3 may be an exaggeration but sticking our heads in the sand is the last thing we should do and I certainly think we should pay some heed to the current spate of warnings. The continued erosion of our own military and defensive capabilities is definitely something that needs urgently addressing and if Trump has his way we won't be getting too much in the way of US support in this area. Worrying times indeed , especially given the nature of other leaders like those of Russia, China, N.Korea, India, Iran and Israel who threaten global stability. How did we come to this?
    We came to this point because we ended the WWII the same way we ended the WWI, with a conveluted armistece. not the defeat of Nazism. What we have experienced subsequently has been an extended gap between the next phase, which came to an end in 1989 with the collapse of the Soviet Empire or cold war. Nazism/Communism call it what ever you want. It's the same thing. Autocraticships/Dictatorship, it's all the same thing. People need to wake the hell up and stop day dreaming. War is coming and faster then the experts are predicting. And we know how accurate those a s s holes have been in the past.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)