+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NUFC vs Villa

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Lol, first into midfield and now up front - people’ll be wanting him to play in goal soon!
    He scored from two corners yesterday and was up for those as a CB should be.
    Running the channels and holding the ball up are different propositions.
    Our set pieces are very good again - Trippier’s delivery yesterday was the main reason.
    Remember SuperMac? He was an established defender until Bobby Robson signed him for £1,000 then converted him to a striker.

The rest is history. These changes, permanent or temporary do work. And as well as that, we are better off in defence than we are with recognised traditional strikers.

Also talking about being in goal. Remember one Alan Shearer, from the famous Wallsend Boys' Club, came to the Toon for a trial, played up front and then went into goal for the majority of the game. Went to Southampton and spent eight important years there and at Blackburn before coming home.

Rest is history for him as well.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 31-01-2024 at 09:44 AM.

There wasn't a single minute in that game that i sat comfortable! Even at 3-0 i was counting down the minutes waiting for the inevitable. I thought Longstaff was anonymous in the whole game and i feel needs replacing in the summer. Some of the players were definately up for this game tonight and nice to see one or two coming back into form. Lets' hope we capitalise on it in our next 3 'easier' games.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Remember SuperMac? He was an established defender until Bobby Robson signed him for £1,000 then converted him to a striker.

The rest is history. These changes, permanent or temporary do work. And as well as that, we are better off in defence than we are with recognised traditional strikers.

Also talking about being in goal. Remember one Alan Shearer, from the famous Wallsend Boys' Club, came to the Toon for a trial, played up front and then went into goal for the majority of the game. Went to Southampton and spent eight important years there and at Blackburn before coming home.

Rest is history for him as well.
    Think you will find it was Joe Harvey, Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek57 View Post
    There wasn't a single minute in that game that i sat comfortable! Even at 3-0 i was counting down the minutes waiting for the inevitable. I thought Longstaff was anonymous in the whole game and i feel needs replacing in the summer. Some of the players were definately up for this game tonight and nice to see one or two coming back into form. Lets' hope we capitalise on it in our next 3 'easier' games.
    I think when the black and white tinted glasses come off then there’s nothing really to support Longstaff starting in a team that is trying to nail some form of European spot season on season.

A basic player, works hard but at this stage that should be a minimum of any squad player… not something that earns you a spot.

We have too many issues, but out of last nights midfield I’d drop lLongstaff before Miley (who had the potential to be a top player) when Willock is back.

Just hope we get Willock back before we lose Bruno for 2 games when he inevitably gets his 10th yellow… he’s on 9 now so it is likely to be soon 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by tinostongue View Post
    Think you will find it was Joe Harvey, Pat.
    What was Joe Harvey tino?

What was Joe Harvey tino?
    I see what you mean now tino, and I think you misunderstood my post.

MacDonald was signed for £1,000 by Bobby Robson 1968, then Fulham manager as a defender from Tonbridge Angels. B.R converted him to a successful striker.

He was then sold to Luton Town and from there Joe Harvey signed him for us for I believe £180,000, which was big money for 1971.

A fantastic result for us.
    I feared the worst when Villa got a goal back and scored another quick one, only to marginally be offside, thank fu**.

Good old Eddie saw the issue and put Tino on and the rest is history.
    A much much improved performance from us so hopefully we carry on improving.

I hope Isaks injury isn't too bad.

To think we have had bad injuries and a massive downturn for so long and now we still manage to jump into 7th until at least tonight.
    Nice one Eddie and the boys, let's keep it going.

I see what you mean now tino, and I think you misunderstood my post.

MacDonald was signed for £1,000 by Bobby Robson 1968, then Fulham manager as a defender from Tonbridge Angels. B.R converted him to a successful striker.

He was then sold to Luton Town and from there Joe Harvey signed him for us for I believe £180,000, which was big money for 1971.
    Ah got ye now pat! My mistake.

This from the Mag, worth the read.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2024/02/bli...ve-our-moment/

That's an interesting read Cannylad.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)