+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dubravka

Dubravka

Deserves a mention. After needing a game or two to get match sharp he’s done very well and pulled off some great saves.
    When Pope got injured I thought there was no available keeper (even De Gea) better than an ‘on form’ Dubs and he’s certainly stepped up to the plate.
    If he keeps this up, Pope shouldn’t walk straight back into the team when fit IMO.

Absolutely and he’s better kicking and passing the ball, definitely a solid goalie.

He's been dependable and the losses we have had can't be put down to him.

Also his distribution with the foot is better than Popes. Not much in it but I think Pope is slightly the better shot stopper.

Credit ti him after an understandably iffy first few games after Pope got injured. Agree he`s a better keeper with feet and distribution but Pope s a better shot stopper imho. Could ask Frank and Stein to put them together somehow, then we`d also have a fresh pair of legs to bring on and a few spare hands around the place.

Funnily enough toptoon, I was thinking of posting this very subject when the match was still going on but got caught up in the stress of seeing out the match. No way Pope gets straight back in for me either, Dúbravka looked a bit ring rusty for a couple of games when he came back but not much between the two in my opinion. Pope probably was an immediate upgrade when he first joined but I think his standards have dropped a bit and Dúbravka has improved back to where he was a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Deserves a mention. After needing a game or two to get match sharp he’s done very well and pulled off some great saves.
    When Pope got injured I thought there was no available keeper (even De Gea) better than an ‘on form’ Dubs and he’s certainly stepped up to the plate.
    If he keeps this up, Pope shouldn’t walk straight back into the team when fit IMO.
    Good post. Martin has been very solid the past few weeks, so I hope he can keep this form up and put pressure on Pope getting his spot back, although I doubt we will see him again this season.

Saying Pope could be back around March time.

However, I agree - he plays like this then Pope doesn't just walk back in.

Also, if we decide to sell him in the summer this time will have enhanced his value.

I was guilty of not trusting Dubs.
    I was probably a bit spoiled with Pope, coupled with Dubs going to Man utd which got my back up a bit but fair play to him, he 's been top notch after a shaky start which was to be expected I suppose.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)