+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 📅Pre-Match Build-Up Thread: Mansfield Town FC 03.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Over the years I've come to the conclusion that we could have Messi and Ronaldo playing for us against Mansfield away and somehow we would get beaten by them and even those two would have a bad day at the office by their high standards.

However like a lot of people ever the optimist I have a ticket and will be hoping we can go there and get a win. I'd take a point right now.

With a couple of key players missing like Flint now might be the best chance to play them.
    I find it hilarious we beat them with our worst ever side in our relegation season, how did that happen!

Unlike most Notts fans, I have yet to see us lose at Field Mill - one win, one draw and one locked out of the ground because we spent too much time in the pub prior to kick-off. Hoping my non-losing streak continues on Saturday (and that I get in).

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I find it hilarious we beat them with our worst ever side in our relegation season, how did that happen!
    Like all good friends they were helping out in our hour of need (or the sods were being vindictive and giving us false hope).

I’d forgotten about that so thanks for the pleasant reminder. Thankfully we have that to cling on to.

This is a new Notts County a born again Notts County so hopefully this old curse can be shaken off.

The funniest thing about that game is that we denied them automatic promotion.

If they had beat us they would have gone up in 3rd place instead of bottling it in the playoffs!

I’d forgotten about that so thanks for the pleasant reminder. Thankfully we have that to cling on to.

This is a new Notts County a born again Notts County so hopefully this old curse can be shaken off.
    Field Mill is currently our joint 5th worst venue for a league game losing sequence, 5 straight defeats, the same as at Anfield!!!

1. Tottenham H. (lost all of the last 10 visits)
    2. Leeds United (lost the last 8)
    3= Everton (lost the last 6)
    3= Bristol City (lost the last 6)
    5= Liverpool (lost the last 5)
    5= Mansfield T. (lost the last 5)

The 10 straight defeats at Tottenham is also our worst away league losing sequence of all time.
    Including cups, the losing run at Spurs swells to 13.

With our momentum and good form going into the hone game, I foolishly believed we might win, but once again despite all the things in our favour, we barely turned up and git rolled over.

If Stags are on a wobble, I could almost guarantee we'll be the spring board they need to get back on track.

Regardless, I know as the game approaches I'll naively start thinking we might get something only to see us humiliated again. I actually think I could accept defeat if we gave a decent account of ourselves, but we never do against them.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Field Mill is currently our joint 5th worst venue for a league game losing sequence, 5 straight defeats, the same as at Anfield!!!

1. Tottenham H. (lost all of the last 10 visits)
    2. Leeds United (lost the last 8)
    3= Everton (lost the last 6)
    3= Bristol City (lost the last 6)
    5= Liverpool (lost the last 5)
    5= Mansfield T. (lost the last 5)

The 10 straight defeats at Tottenham is also our worst away league losing sequence of all time.
    Including cups, the losing run at Spurs swells to 13.
    Interesting stats as always UTM and shows in our recent history how much of a curse it’s been.

It’s also interesting that the top three on that list we have hardly (or actually not) played them in the last 30 years in a competitive league fixture. By my reckoning;

Tottenham 1994
    Leeds 1995
    Everton 1992
    Bristol City 2015
    Liverpool 1992 (Cup 2013)
    Mansfield 2023

I’m surprised about the Bristol City one as well. I do recall going there on the opening day of the season and us getting beat 5-0 in 2003. Although I didn’t make it to the game due to being stuck in traffic in Bristol as there was a balloon festival going on. Not the greatest of days for Notts fans that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    With our momentum and good form going into the hone game, I foolishly believed we might win, but once again despite all the things in our favour, we barely turned up and git rolled over.

If Stags are on a wobble, I could almost guarantee we'll be the spring board they need to get back on track.

Regardless, I know as the game approaches I'll naively start thinking we might get something only to see us humiliated again. I actually think I could accept defeat if we gave a decent account of ourselves, but we never do against them.
    This sums it up. I thought the same in the Nolan season when we were top of the league, and then we dished out the usual crap performance. Not just poor, but completely devoid of any kind of fight or passion. Strange how the same thing happens to completely different groups of players and managers, year in year out.

Just treat it like a local derby for god's sake and play like it matters. If we lose, so be it - they're a more capable team than us by all accounts. But go down fighting and give it everything. The problem is, do we even have the players to do that? Our current lot are great when things are going well, but I'm not sure we have the characters in the side to win a mental or physical battle in a local derby.

Interesting stats as always UTM and shows in our recent history how much of a curse it’s been.

It’s also interesting that the top three on that list we have hardly (or actually not) played them in the last 30 years in a competitive league fixture. By my reckoning;

Tottenham 1994
    Leeds 1995
    Everton 1992
    Bristol City 2015
    Liverpool 1992 (Cup 2013)
    Mansfield 2023

I’m surprised about the Bristol City one as well. I do recall going there on the opening day of the season and us getting beat 5-0 in 2003. Although I didn’t make it to the game due to being stuck in traffic in Bristol as there was a balloon festival going on. Not the greatest of days for Notts fans that one.
    The current losing run at Ashton Gate would have been only 3 had we not had a game abandoned in the 2nd half with us winning 1-0. Our overall PPG there though is a paltry 0.73, which is one of the worst for clubs we've visited more than a dozen times.

In the current away winless league runs table, Field Mill is our joint 14th worst place to go (out of 143) so we're well overdue a good result there given their status compared to most clubs we struggle at.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast