+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Warne

Paul Warne

Ey Up Millers Fans

Derby fan, in peace here. Just a few questions:

How did you get promoted under Paul Warne?

Were they really bad years in League One?

Did most teams come at you? How did he beat teams that just sit back and soak up the pressure and 6 million crosses to no-one in particular in the box?

Was there a key player(s) that made his system work? What was his goto formation?

What would you say was his secret to success? Cos it feels like the most toxic promotion push in history atm.

Other than winning the ball back, high up the pitch, I struggle to see a plan. Just seems to be a focus on athleticism and work rate over skill or build up play.

Any help would be much appreciated

Good luck for the rest of the season

Plan was boot it up to a big striker hoping he could hold the ball up.

And even though Warne has gone, nothing has changed.

A question for you wellies .... Do you want promotion or do you want to see nice football every game?

Don't worry. Warney will get you promoted. It's not always pretty to watch but he gets results.

Is Wellie or just a Wellie fishing coming home on the piss? A true Wellibob?

Irrespective who you really are, Paul Warne will always remain a true legend at this club and will be invited back as a guest or whatever with open arms.
    Last edited by Brin; 03-02-2024 at 12:24 AM.

More homage to the usefulness of Wellington boots when tending to livestock.

I was okay with slogging it out of League One, then I saw Ipswich and Plymouth last year and I thought, I'd sooner see us going up playing football and then having something to keep us up when we get there.

I hope you're right that he'll get us up atm, I can't see we'll have the legs, luck or smarts to do it. Maybe via the lottery of the playoffs, but Warne seems to run his teams into the ground well before then. Maybe he's not playing long ball enough with us, and just trying to pass to the wings and then hoof, to keep the fans off his back

Quote Originally Posted by Wellies View Post

I was okay with slogging it out of League One, then I saw Ipswich and Plymouth last year and I thought, I'd sooner see us going up playing football and then having something to keep us up when we get there.

I hope you're right that he'll get us up atm, I can't see we'll have the legs, luck or smarts to do it. Maybe via the lottery of the playoffs, but Warne seems to run his teams into the ground well before then. Maybe he's not playing long ball enough with us, and just trying to pass to the wings and then hoof, to keep the fans off his back
    You sound like a very familiar poster on here...........zzzzzzzzzzz

Derby will be playing 1st division football next season.

The problem with warne teams is that they often burn out at the end of the season. Expect them to tail off in the last few games. You need to be well established in the top 2 witj about 7 or 8 games left if you want the autos. You should have enough now for play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellies View Post

I think you've answered your own original question when you say ppass to the wings and then hoof', which was his main strategy as well as high press. It worked 3 times on the trot for getting out of league 1 but we had Ogbene, Barlaser, Smith as a big feature of the last 2 of those successful campaigns and getting key players in there to get it quickly wide, fly ip the pitch and someone big and imposing in the box is an important part of it.

No doubt he can get you up but although he had a good start in the last champ campaign before you took your cash, there isn't any evidence that his style can keep a team there. I admire the bloke though, gave us some great years and is a good lad.

The problem Derby have IBS is that they always capitulate just before Easter and end up mid table.
    As you will remember PW is an intelligent person so he will be aware of this so it depends whether he can arrest their perennial underachievement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast