+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town FC 03.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    I said about our wing play but we seem to be playing through the middle of the park a lot more than I'm used to - and getting some joy from it
    Really ????? What game were you watching...

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    They had more aggression and played the ball forward much more quicker than us. All we seemed to do was to pass the ball around in our own half.. Even when we had a free kick on the edge of their area, it ended up back in our half with a throwing to them..
    And what's the point in having substitutes if you have no intention of using them, apart from Austin in the 87th min...
    Well you tell us who would you have used ?

Not much attacking threat to be fair Durham.

Sh1t day to be a Notts fan today. But there will be better days.

We really have to give SM time and bear in mind his first two games have been against teams in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Well you tell us who would you have used ?

Not much attacking threat to be fair Durham.
    I would have taken off both Bostock and Nemane, and replaced them with O'Brien and Toby. I wouldnt have taken Robertson for a start, i thought he was having a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I would have taken off both Bostock and Nemane, and replaced them with O'Brien and Toby. I wouldnt have taken Robertson for a start, i thought he was having a decent game.
    Matty Palmer is getting better every game he’s out injured, because it’s painfully obvious that he was the heartbeat of the team, setting the tempo. I think JOB can do that on a good day, but John Bostock definitely can’t. I’m really struggling to see what he’s bringing to the team - no forward passes, weak in the tackle, not particularly mobile. I expected him to be the main man when Palmer got injured, but he’s not worth a place in the side right now.

Very strange that SM didn’t freshen things up when we were struggling to create anything in the second half. I guess he’s still feeling his way into the job, but he will need to be a fast learner and start making his presence felt.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Matty Palmer is getting better every game he’s out injured, because it’s painfully obvious that he was the heartbeat of the team, setting the tempo. I think JOB can do that on a good day, but John Bostock definitely can’t. I’m really struggling to see what he’s bringing to the team - no forward passes, weak in the tackle, not particularly mobile. I expected him to be the main man when Palmer got injured, but he’s not worth a place in the side right now.
    Harsh on Bostock considering what he's offered in the past, but I would have replaced him with JOB on 70 minutes. Jim is usually hit or miss as a sub, but at least he tries to make things happen. We needed that risk element in the second half, we were becoming too predictable.

Gillingham on Friday night at home. We NEED to win this or we're out the play offs and I can see it being pretty hard to get back in them. The Gills are only a point behind us with a few others within distance to go above us. I never thought a few months back that this would be a must in game

The old saying the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Pretty much sums up our visits to Failed Mill as no matter who plays for us we come back with nothing.

A lot of thoughts and comments on here mirror my own having been at the game. We had so many chances early on and how on earth did that triple attempt one after the other did not end in a goal is beyond me. The chances kept coming but the ball would just not go in. So it was so predictable that Mansfield would score from one shot which they did. Their goal was frustrating because we gave the player too much time and someone needed to close him down and if need be put their body on the line. They couldn’t have complained had we gone in at half time 3-1 up.

The second half we didn’t create enough chances at goal which was disappointing especially not testing their keeper. As many on here were saying when we were shipping loads of goals and scoring lots if you change it so you are stronger defensively then you run the risk of losing your attacking threat. There is a bit of that but conceding two goals against the top sides is improvement in that regard.

One thing we can take out of it is where we are short and where we need to improve to be an automatic promotion contender. Overall Mansfield have got the balance right all over the park as a unit. It’s our first season back and the brothers and club will learn and we will be stronger next season, and maybe so with the new players. Let’s remember Mansfield have been trying to get out of this league for four years.

I thought the referee and officials were poor as others for a local derby as others have said. But we should be good enough to overcome that. The referee let too many fouls go without a free kick or yellow card. Likewise I felt the home crowd had an affect. At the time I felt Macca should have had a penalty because he was in a perfect position to score so why go down? Likewise some challenges on Jones and Nemane were just being left unpunished or ignored and not even a free kick given.

The Mansfield pitch is not good enough for league two too much sand in places on both flanks. They need to try and improve that going forward.

As for Stuart Maynard. A baptism of fire playing two of the top three in your first two games. People used to bemoan LW subs on 65 min, well today it was the opposite in that none came till Austin really late on. But then you have to think who could have come on that could have provided something different? Let’s have patience and give him time.

Not a happy day emotionally for Notts fans and the final kick in the teeth as always is hearing their fans chanting and celebrating near the end and having to walk through their jubilant fans after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

Not a happy day emotionally for Notts fans and the final kick in the teeth as always is hearing their fans chanting and celebrating near the end and having to walk through their jubilant fans after the game.
    Was there any trouble after the game?

Disappointing today but we thankfully didn't get our pants taken down as we did in the home game
    We're a work in progress but I have a feeling we will turn the corner shortly under the new manager and his assistants
    At least I hope so

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast