+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Raith Away

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    I'm sorry but I thought he was crap and I don't see him or Grieve justifying the game time they are getting. Archie Meekison is probably our most creative player, can dribble, see a pass, play the one twos around the box that open teams up and had a good shot on him, I would rather see him play than Wotherspoon. He created more in 22 minutes against Dunfermline than Wotherspoon did in his 68 minutes on the park
    Whereas I think Meekison's had one good cameo for us. Wotherspoon was playing deeper last night, so naturally wouldn't have been creating too many chances. I thought his range of passing was excellent. Meekison certainly isn't suited to that role.
    Last edited by tHeArAb; 17-02-2024 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Whereas I think Meekison's had one good cameo for us. Wotherspoon was playing deeper last night, so naturally wouldn't have been creating too many chances. I thought his range of passing was excellent. Meekison certainly isn't suited to that role.

Wotherspoon had a very good game while he was on, not sure what others who think otherwise saw, can see what he can bring now, unlike Grieve

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Look at our bench and tell me there are game changers on it! It's weak as pi55. All this talk of the manager not making subbies earlier to try and change the game a bit makes me lol. The guys on our bench are there to replace injured or tired players from our starting 11 and nothing more......there are none and I repeat no players on our bench that can spark a bit of life in to a game at any point as they just not good enough.
    Yip, our bench is p!ss poor. But to be fair to Cudjoe and Mochrie, they have both been brought on this season and changed games. Still have Mochries winner clear in my mind from Dunfermline!

Like i said before, i thought Moult and Kai tired around the same time, and that was probably about 10 minutes before Moult was changed. Just dont see what Grieve brings, but having had time to think about last night, i think JG made a huge mistake with the timing and selection of the subs.

But then, if the guys on the park were alive to the quick throw, then the ball is defended better and doesnt fall at the lads feet.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree on Wotherspoon.For some reason Meekison is never given a run of games, how is any player able to give a decent performance when he gets 20 minutes playing time every 3rd or 4th game? My point was he offers us something that no other person in the squad does he showed that in his 20 minutes against Dunfermline, we absolutely lack creativity hence the reason we dominate the ball and have no real threat for the amount of ball we have. Meekison can play the wee ball round the corner, the one twos in tight spaces, he finds space that nobody else does for us. He deserves a chance to show what he can do

We will have to agree to disagree on Wotherspoon.For some reason Meekison is never given a run of games, how is any player able to give a decent performance when he gets 20 minutes playing time every 3rd or 4th game? My point was he offers us something that no other person in the squad does he showed that in his 20 minutes against Dunfermline, we absolutely lack creativity hence the reason we dominate the ball and have no real threat for the amount of ball we have. Meekison can play the wee ball round the corner, the one twos in tight spaces, he finds space that nobody else does for us. He deserves a chance to show what he can do
    I sound like a broken record but I think bringing back the reserve team has to be done. Looking through this thread after the game all the judgements about certain players. Years ago you went to the reserves you saw who was playing and whoever had a good game was added to the first-team squad. These players were given encouragement from the paying fans. The youngsters got a good grounding coming up against senior pros none of this all U18s or U21s pish. They had players on the fringes of the first team, players coming back from injury as their teammates. Times have changed and the conveyor belt has the players good on paper but in the real environment, they are looking lost imo. They get put out on loan to get games. Did Dailly, McKinlay, McKinnon, Bollan, Cleland, O'Neil, Connolly and Ferguson go out on loan? No, they learned in the reserves.

You have all this academy tick-box rubbish. S form signings were allowed to play for their current clubs, nowadays I believe this is not the case. Warnock has only been at Aberdeen a number of weeks but even with his vast experience he has seen the need of reserve games.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I sound like a broken record but I think bringing back the reserve team has to be done. Looking through this thread after the game all the judgements about certain players. Years ago you went to the reserves you saw who was playing and whoever had a good game was added to the first-team squad. These players were given encouragement from the paying fans. The youngsters got a good grounding coming up against senior pros none of this all U18s or U21s pish. They had players on the fringes of the first team, players coming back from injury as their teammates. Times have changed and the conveyor belt has the players good on paper but in the real environment, they are looking lost imo. They get put out on loan to get games. Did Dailly, McKinlay, McKinnon, Bollan, Cleland, O'Neil, Connolly and Ferguson go out on loan? No, they learned in the reserves.

You have all this academy tick-box rubbish. S form signings were allowed to play for their current clubs, nowadays I believe this is not the case. Warnock has only been at Aberdeen a number of weeks but even with his vast experience he has seen the need of reserve games.
    I totally agree with you, I would go even further and suggest that having all the youngsters only playing for utd youth teams against other club youth teams is ruining the game too, the youngsters are getting all the spontaneity and freedom coached out of them, they are all technically great but have never learnt how to tackle properly or be on the receiving end of a proper dirty tackle and never been allowed to play off the cuff football. A few years ago I was assistant manager to a Midlands amateur team, we had an 18 year who had been at St Johnstone the Raith Rivers before getting released at 18, very technically gifted and a big laddie at well over 6ft but didn't have the strength or heart to play 1st team amateur because he had never played in any form of tough environment because all the kids are taught is possession and positions, you go to youth games and there are hardly any tackles in the game

I totally agree with you, I would go even further and suggest that having all the youngsters only playing for utd youth teams against other club youth teams is ruining the game too, the youngsters are getting all the spontaneity and freedom coached out of them, they are all technically great but have never learnt how to tackle properly or be on the receiving end of a proper dirty tackle and never been allowed to play off the cuff football. A few years ago I was assistant manager to a Midlands amateur team, we had an 18 year who had been at St Johnstone the Raith Rivers before getting released at 18, very technically gifted and a big laddie at well over 6ft but didn't have the strength or heart to play 1st team amateur because he had never played in any form of tough environment because all the kids are taught is possession and positions, you go to youth games and there are hardly any tackles in the game
    Yes, totally agree that the current obsession with possession based football is very boring and totally flawed unless you happen to be Man City or something and you have a lethal cutting edge up front.

I pine for the days when we played with wingers that would take players on and sling a cross in to the box for the CF to smash in the net.

I grew up watching Tommy Traynor when almost every Scottish team had their own wing wizard. We had Bannon, Milne, McLaren etc through to Conway...

And then the football philosophy appeared to change almost overnight.

The product thesedays is rank.

feed the hogg,o fir the old days,

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    I pine for the days when we played with wingers that would take players on and sling a cross in to the box for the CF to smash in the net....The product thesedays is rank.
    That's is exactly how we play now, maybe to a fault.

If that's how you feel about watching us, why waste your time/money doing it? I'll never understand this. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    That's is exactly how we play now, maybe to a fault.

If that's how you feel about watching us, why waste your time/money doing it? I'll never understand this. 🤔
    That’s Goodwins problem , he has us to predictable , can’t remember the last time I saw a midfielder gambling and making a run beyond Moult for example , teams now know exactly how we are going to play , would like to see us mix things up during games

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)