+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Raith Away

I'm hoping tae feck that we are working on corners and getting the midfield to occasionally take a shot. I think our players 100% need to feel that they can go ahead and be braver at times, rather than looking for the safest pass. I really wish that they felt that they could take the shackles off a bit...and actually look like they were enjoying their football rather than looking like they are trying to solve a suduko puzzle. It just feels 'over coached" at times! Fortune favours the brave!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    Considering Goodwin has generally taken over the positions of recruitment and whatever the spacehopper was doing, formed a strong, balanced squad and we're currently totl I can respect the job he is doing.
    There is though a question mark for me on whether he can get this team up for the big games. Last time against Raith we hardly laid a glove on them. Big point to prove next Friday..

Think that was just a timing thing and really, their players were in peak form and at full strength, we were less confident due to form and Docherty missing, but there was nothing in the game, it matters not if we win the league but one team ends up with a better head to head than us, they are all big games really

Goodwin deserves credit for the recruitment, building a potential league winning side from where we were and one that in any other year would be clear on their own, he'll not get the credit but he deserves it, especially after what happened to him at Aberdeen and taking on another difficult high pressure job so soon

Not forgetting one the best away records in European football (THE best away defensive record)

Will be a tough game, more pressure on them to get back into it though

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Think that was just a timing thing and really, their players were in peak form and at full strength, we were less confident due to form and Docherty missing, but there was nothing in the game, it matters not if we win the league but one team ends up with a better head to head than us, they are all big games really

Goodwin deserves credit for the recruitment, building a potential league winning side from where we were and one that in any other year would be clear on their own, he'll not get the credit but he deserves it, especially after what happened to him at Aberdeen and taking on another difficult high pressure job so soon

Not forgetting one the best away records in European football (THE best away defensive record)

Will be a tough game, more pressure on them to get back into it though
    This is correct (yes bud I typed that) and regarding the last line re pressure on them it comes with a danger that our side sit back a bit and kinda say come on then.
    I really hope Goodwin makes sure that doesn't happen.

The Chocolate Captain missed the game today thru injury

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    Considering Goodwin has generally taken over the positions of recruitment and whatever the spacehopper was doing, formed a strong, balanced squad and we're currently totl I can respect the job he is doing.
    There is though a question mark for me on whether he can get this team up for the big games. Last time against Raith we hardly laid a glove on them. Big point to prove next Friday..
    I don't think you can underestimate the difficulty of rebuilding a relegated squad over the summer, replacing Denholm with Gallagher was huge for him. He has done a decent job in the circumstances, but if we don't have some sort of proper recruitment in place very soon, we will toil rebuilding if we go up. Say what you want about previous seasons, but at least there was some sort of transfer strategy, even if it was flawed, now it just seems to be left to Jim Goodwin to get on with it. All seems a bit rudderless to me, Ogren just biding his time, doesn't feel like we are going anywhere at the moment other than in the moment.

Hopefully Raith will have to come out Friday which should help us, but wouldn't call it with any confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    The Chocolate Captain missed the game today thru injury
    Sorry, not getting the "Chocolate Captain" reference and I don't know anything about a game today - can you elaborate a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    Sorry, not getting the "Chocolate Captain" reference and I don't know anything about a game today - can you elaborate a bit?
    Sounds like we had an internal bounce game that the captain didn't take part in, most likely just a precaution. Mountain out of molehill type comment I think

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    He's on about Docherty being injury prone.

Utd played a closed doors game amongst themselves today and Docherty didn't play.

He might have ended up getting injured in a flake away.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I don't think you can underestimate the difficulty of rebuilding a relegated squad over the summer, replacing Denholm with Gallagher was huge for him. He has done a decent job in the circumstances, but if we don't have some sort of proper recruitment in place very soon, we will toil rebuilding if we go up. Say what you want about previous seasons, but at least there was some sort of transfer strategy, even if it was flawed, now it just seems to be left to Jim Goodwin to get on with it. All seems a bit rudderless to me, Ogren just biding his time, doesn't feel like we are going anywhere at the moment other than in the moment.

Hopefully Raith will have to come out Friday which should help us, but wouldn't call it with any confidence.
    Agree, Goodwin will deserve some praise if we go up. Club has been disgracefully mismanaged, haemorrhaging money and had to go back to basics this season. Don't want to jinx anything but he has for the most part got us at least functional for winning the league. Will take that in terms of what is at stake for the club at the moment.
    However next week it would be heartening to see us not worry about Raith, take the game to them and give a big performance worthy of a side pushing for a title.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)