+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Away at Tottenham Hotspur

Away at Tottenham Hotspur

52 Years ago today, I was in north London at White Hart Lane watching the Millers play Tottenham Hotspur in the F.A.Cup. We lost 2-0 and it was one of the worst experiences that I've had in all the years watching football. The Riley's coach that I was on had every window smashed by the idiotic Spurs fans after the game and with their horrible fans surrounding our coaches it scared the living daylights out of me. God knows what they would have done if they'd lost the game. It was freezing all the way home and it still gives me "shudders" thinking about it. It's the only time in the Miller's history that we've played Tottenham and I can remember how exciting it was when we got them in the draw. Spurs have always been a top club but their fans are among the lowest in the country. Has anyone else on here got any memories of the day?

Was there went by Riley's can't remember spurs fans round the coaches at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Was there went by Riley's can't remember spurs fans round the coaches at the end.

I don't know why you can't remember all the trouble after the game gru because as far as I can remember all the Rileys, and other coaches were parked in a long line and there was fighting everywhere, with the police just stood watching and laughing. In fact that was more frightening knowing that no-one was going to protect us.

I remember it well but being just 11 was too young to go to the game. I recall there was uproar leading up the the game as they said they were unable to accommodate Derek Dalton at WHL. They wouldn't get away with that in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    I don't know why you can't remember all the trouble after the game gru because as far as I can remember all the Rileys, and other coaches were parked in a long line and there was fighting everywhere, with the police just stood watching and laughing. In fact that was more frightening knowing that no-one was going to protect us.

I'd have remembered if there was any trouble. Was at Maine rd fa cup our coach got some windows smashed in.

Carl Gilbert in taped up boots.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    I'd have remembered if there was any trouble. Was at Maine rd fa cup our coach got some windows smashed in.
    Gru, you often can’t remember what you posted half an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Gru, you often can’t remember what you posted half an hour ago.

Can remember back then now there's nothing worth remembering!

I was there too. Remember being sat at the top of a stand so big I needed binoculars to see the players..
    And our Rileys bus had a blowout on the MW coming home.
    Total bummer!

I was there with my Dad.

We travelled Inter City (like the men do) and witnessed no bovver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast