+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Best Cafs in Rotherham 70's and 80's

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Same here Brin in Rawmarsh with Fletchers and I'd also get a custard tart if I was lucky. The van showed up the same time every day 6 days a week and as you say the smell of the bread was delightful. Oh for those days with milkman, bread man, veg man, ice cream man, pie and peas man. All men, obviously the women in those days had nothing to do
    CAM, yes I’m still wide awake, can’t sleep these days?

Also don’t forget the old American school bus, it was a fruit and veg man but I saw him later from 69-73 touring east herringthorpe. He has been mentioned on here before. Can still picture him but can’t recall his name??

The smell of rotting cauli and bananas on his bus brings back the memories

Same here Brin in Rawmarsh with Fletchers and I'd also get a custard tart if I was lucky. The van showed up the same time every day 6 days a week and as you say the smell of the bread was delightful. Oh for those days with milkman, bread man, veg man, ice cream man, pie and peas man. All men, obviously the women in those days had nothing to do
    Ah the early morning milkman, helped me out no end on my early morning paper round….Kes style 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    CAM, yes I’m still wide awake, can’t sleep these days?

Also don’t forget the old American school bus, it was a fruit and veg man but I saw him later from 69-73 touring east herringthorpe. He has been mentioned on here before. Can still picture him but can’t recall his name??

The smell of rotting cauli and bananas on his bus brings back the memories
    Anyone from Rawmarsh will remember Staves fruit and veg (and fish). They came around in a classic old 'truck' with drop down sides (reg. VET 54 if I remember right) and you could either go out to them with your shopping bag or they would come to your back door, take your list and bags and come back with your fruit and veg and collect the money. A godsend for my parents in their latter years although by then 'old' Mr. Staves (Jack) was in in 80s and 'young' Mr. Staves (John) in his 60s and still working. I think they finally packed it in a few years ago after serving the area for 60+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Bit phoenix nights,
    Imagine having a bit of salad on the side and asking for some olive oil?
    "That's for your fkn ears lad"
    😆

Anyone remember the Saspirilla cafe across from Millmoor used to go in there every match day at home.

Quote Originally Posted by thaimillerfan View Post
    Anyone remember the Saspirilla cafe across from Millmoor used to go in there every match day at home.
    My dad used to take me and my brother in there every home game. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I expect Davy’s cafe was closed by then. Wood paneling, servers in uniforms, clunky silver tea services and a pervading smell of roasting coffee. My mother, a German war bride, thought she was back in Hanover…
    I loved it too CT i would have thought it made the 70s, i remember egg and chips in there with all the posh cutlery, happy days

Quote Originally Posted by thaimillerfan View Post
    Saspirilla shop lower down the road from Millmoor, me & mate always went in there from 1960, seating was like
    Church Pews, a couple a pints before the game.

Anyone from Rawmarsh will remember Staves fruit and veg (and fish). They came around in a classic old 'truck' with drop down sides (reg. VET 54 if I remember right) and you could either go out to them with your shopping bag or they would come to your back door, take your list and bags and come back with your fruit and veg and collect the money. A godsend for my parents in their latter years although by then 'old' Mr. Staves (Jack) was in in 80s and 'young' Mr. Staves (John) in his 60s and still working. I think they finally packed it in a few years ago after serving the area for 60+ years.
    I never saw that truck looking dirty - always spotless. It was vintage back in the 80s - it had a petrol engine as I recall.

They used to say when traveling through Rawmarsh and you got behind a long line of slow moving traffic, it was either Staves fruit and veg van on its stop start round, or a Clarks hearse.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast