+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 📅Pre-Match Build-Up Thread: Gillingham FC (H) 09.02.24 [EFL L2]

📅Pre-Match Build-Up Thread: Gillingham FC (H) 09.02.24 [EFL L2]

Do you think it'll be on? A lot of rain and snow is forecast to fall tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Do you think it'll be on? A lot of rain and snow is forecast to fall tomorrow.
    "Look, if you listen you will know we have people in the building who will concern themselves with that. We can only focus on what is in our control and look, training has been going well and we continue to make some tweaks whatever the weather".

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    "Look, if you listen you will know we have people in the building who will concern themselves with that. We can only focus on what is in our control and look, training has been going well and we continue to make some tweaks whatever the weather".
    I’m sure everybody does it, but managers do seem to have certain phrases that ‘irritate’
    Maybe because we’re listening too closely?

Look, seems to be the new one!
    Just after we’ve got rid of ‘actions’!

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    I’m sure everybody does it, but managers do seem to have certain phrases that ‘irritate’

“Look” seems a very popular one at the mo for managers, players and ex players, it is quite annoying but I guess it’s their way to say “listen to me” as long as he can coach and lead I don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    “Look” seems a very popular one at the mo for managers, players and ex players, it is quite annoying but I guess it’s their way to say “listen to me” as long as he can coach and lead I don’t care.
    Totally. His press conferences and after matches are for our consumption. We can all ignore phrases when we’re winning!
    Christ, if I put up with Thompson and Murphy with his fecking poems etc…I can ignore the ‘look!’

At least he isn't saying like 3 times in a sentence of he's over the moon.

Totally. His press conferences and after matches are for our consumption. We can all ignore phrases when we’re winning!
    Christ, if I put up with Thompson and Murphy with his fecking poems etc…I can ignore the ‘look!’
    Thompson was hilarious to be fair.

Curle: "Express yourself"
    Ardley: "Respect the point/opposition"
    Williams: "Fantastic", "actions"
    Maynard: "Look...", "In the building"

Missing any?

I think they are crutch words so to speak in which the speaker leans on them to give themselves time and space for thought or to respond. Also a word to engage and connect with the listener.

One of the most common is “yer know” which Paul Cox was known for when manager of Mansfield.

I also remember Shaun Derry used “listen” which is the same as “look” when wanted to hold the listeners attention or to emphasise a point.

For me I’m not bothered what apparent catchphrase words a manager may have or crutches or attention grabbing words. It’s the content of what they have to say and whether it’s insightful or interesting or relatable along with their ability that is more important.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast