+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue cards?

Blue cards?

There is talk about introducing blue cards. Sin bin for 10 minutes for cynical fouls and dissent. Not sure if for other offences too.

Good idea?

I think it is in principle but not sure it would be workable.

Potentially a good idea but if it’s implemented as badly as VAR it will be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Potentially a good idea but if it’s implemented as badly as VAR it will be a disaster.
    It's worked in grassroots games I've played in. After the first sin bin the players realise they need to be respectful to the ref.

In the pro game there needs to be set violations though (swearing, crowding the ref for instance) otherwise it'll be too much based on the refs opinions and would just be chaos.

I wish they'd stop messing about with football. I also read a comment about this from a Sunday league ref, he said their job is hard enough without trying to enforce this and keep track of it. Also if someone has a blue card, comes back on then commits another offence is that then a yellow card or does it go to red? Or another blue?

VAR is enough messing and even that is crap. Just leave it alone. They just need to be stronger instead of the weak refs. When Jones got hacked down against barrow, in the laws of the game, that is a red. Serious foul play. Dissent yellow card then red for another yellow card offence.

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    It's worked in grassroots games I've played in. After the first sin bin the players realise they need to be respectful to the ref.

In the pro game there needs to be set violations though (swearing, crowding the ref for instance) otherwise it'll be too much based on the refs opinions and would just be chaos.
    In the professional game you just know it will make the game slower and dull
    Time wasting to see out the 10 minutes you only have 10 men for.
    No from me

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post

Persistent swearing yes. Crowding the ref, how does that work if there is 3/4/5? It’s like the ridiculous rule of a player being booked when he scores and jumps into the crowd… other players follow him… ONE player gets booked, why? They all left the pitch.

The blue card is such a bad idea as refs can’t ref properly anyway - they aren’t allowed.

What will also happen is that opposition teams will time waste for 10 minutes - the time maybe added at the end of the game but the player off for 10 minutes won’t actually be off for 10 minutes. So unless they sort a clock that stops, this 10 minute sun binning will be a farce.

Very open to abuse from people and managers smart enough to use it. Nah. Also while VAR is a mess there is zero chance of this getting anywhere near the higher leagues. Probably a good idea for kids football but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I wish they'd stop messing about with football. I also read a comment about this from a Sunday league ref, he said their job is hard enough without trying to enforce this and keep track of it. Also if someone has a blue card, comes back on then commits another offence is that then a yellow card or does it go to red? Or another blue?

VAR is enough messing and even that is crap. Just leave it alone. They just need to be stronger instead of the weak refs. When Jones got hacked down against barrow, in the laws of the game, that is a red. Serious foul play. Dissent yellow card then red for another yellow card offence.
    A blue and a yellow would be a red, as would 2 blues.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    A blue and a yellow would be a red, as would 2 blues.
    Cheers MM. As others have said it'll delay the game too much. I don't actually want to game to last 3 hours like American football. VAR already takes too much time for decisions which are clear after 2 seconds. With blue cards they'd all be arguing all the time with their histrionics about whether was a blue card or not then they'd say they didn't say that and clubs that let a goal in during the sin bin might appeal using lip readers (this would happen) Then as others have pointed out teams would just pass it about at the back during the ten minutes, it would make the game boring.

Just stop it with all this crap. VAR fine for offsides where a goal is scored and maybe penalties but even then we see clear penalties not given after a review. Just stop it now, you sometimes got the luck you sometimes didn't, it worked both ways. They are making the game less appealing in a time they complain that younger people aren't as into football as they used to be. VAR and blue cards won't solve this problem, if that's what they're trying to fix. Tastes change and football still is absolutely massive worldwide. Leave the game alone.

I don't like too much tampering with the game, but I've thought for a while there needs to be something else alongside yellow and red cards, because too many things fall into the yellow category that aren't at all comparable. You can get a yellow for not taking a throw-in quickly enough, but you can also get a yellow for a dangerous and cynical tackle that stops a dangerous attack (like the one on Jodi) - those two things clearly aren't of equal value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast