+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Year or Fear!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    the "mental state" of his 70 odd million supporters
    A bit ‘Swalesque’ in your assessment there MA. I don’t know many Americans but those I do are on both sides of the ‘argument’ and both sides range from the deeply considered to the absolute nutter

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    A bit ‘Swalesque’ in your assessment there MA. I don’t know many Americans but those I do are on both sides of the ‘argument’ and both sides range from the deeply considered to the absolute nutter
    In my experience, and I suppose I’ve visited about ten US states in the last four years, Trump certainly has more than his fair share of the ‘absolute nutters’ and I’ve yet to come across a Trump fan capable of ‘deeply considering’ anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    In my experience, and I suppose I’ve visited about ten US states in the last four years, Trump certainly has more than his fair share of the ‘absolute nutters’ and I’ve yet to come across a Trump fan capable of ‘deeply considering’ anything.
    Going back to MA’s comment, there aren’t 70m Trump fans, it would appear that by no means are Republicans Trump fans. I’ve mentioned a friend from NC before with strong Republican convictions who bloody hates the fellah.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Going back to MA’s comment, there aren’t 70m Trump fans, it would appear that by no means are Republicans Trump fans. I’ve mentioned a friend from NC before with strong Republican convictions who bloody hates the fellah.
    Accepted. I think only about 58% of active Republicans actually actively support him.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Accepted. I think only about 58% of active Republicans actually actively support him.
    I thought that said 38% for a mo. Just a flashback

I'll be hoping for a labour government come the next election. I don't think the Tories are incompetent (a couple of noticeable exceptions granted), but it's time for a change which will hopefully bring a little boost.
    I'd hate to have a voting decision in the US!

Can you imagine if Blairs new labour had been up against this Tory government. It would make 97 look like a photo finish in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Can you imagine if Blairs new labour had been up against this Tory government. It would make 97 look like a photo finish in comparison.
    You have more faith in the British electorate than I do, as non-partisan I’m more interested in voter habits than what colour the next five years of ****ups will be, and right leaning folk have a habit of not showing their hand

A few random jottings on the matter of elections:

As an imminent retiree I shall be voting for those offering the best deal for pensioners. So that'll be me not voting then, as I don't see anyone unbundling the triple lock or upsetting the, predominantly longer lived female, powerful mass grey vote.

Of course the above demonstrates what's wrong with any democracy. People vote for the party that offers them the best deal, as opposed to for the collective good. Or they vote for a party that promises to make life worse for a group they dislike. Smash the unions, destroy the bosses, repatriate the immigrants, freedom for the scotch etc. At least Brexit won't be on the platform (unless rA is standing), but no doubt the libdems will float brentry.

Wouldn't it be nice if parties were legally restricted to campaign only on what they would do, rather than slagging of the incumbents have done or floating fears about what "the others" would bring.if elected.

It'd be even nicer if politics and vested interests were separated. Tories from capitalists etc, labour from unions etc, libdems from, well noone really. Abolish all political donations and fundraising - provide limited equal campaign funds from the state purse. Have candidates win voters over with opinion and policy, not by pouring cash in.

Ban the use of social media in electioneering. OK it's impossible, but "influencers" eg in fashion etc, should have no part in the process. This would cause wailing amongst the Gen Z entitled cohort, but hey that's another benefit 😄

Bring in proportional representation. This ought to naturally force more centrist (hence more stable and equitable) policy making.

So overall I don't care who wins, they're all self interested showers of ****, one way or the other. Except Nigel Farage. He's not so much a shower as a thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    A few random jottings on the matter of elections:

As an imminent retiree I shall be voting for those offering the best deal for pensioners. So that'll be me not voting then, as I don't see anyone unbundling the triple lock or upsetting the, predominantly longer lived female, powerful mass grey vote.

Of course the above demonstrates what's wrong with any democracy. People vote for the party that offers them the best deal, as opposed to for the collective good. Or they vote for a party that promises to make life worse for a group they dislike. Smash the unions, destroy the bosses, repatriate the immigrants, freedom for the scotch etc. At least Brexit won't be on the platform (unless rA is standing), but no doubt the libdems will float brentry.

Wouldn't it be nice if parties were legally restricted to campaign only on what they would do, rather than slagging of the incumbents have done or floating fears about what "the others" would bring.if elected.

It'd be even nicer if politics and vested interests were separated. Tories from capitalists etc, labour from unions etc, libdems from, well noone really. Abolish all political donations and fundraising - provide limited equal campaign funds from the state purse. Have candidates win voters over with opinion and policy, not by pouring cash in.

Ban the use of social media in electioneering. OK it's impossible, but "influencers" eg in fashion etc, should have no part in the process. This would cause wailing amongst the Gen Z entitled cohort, but hey that's another benefit ��

Bring in proportional representation. This ought to naturally force more centrist (hence more stable and equitable) policy making.

So overall I don't care who wins, they're all self interested showers of ****, one way or the other. Except Nigel Farage. He's not so much a shower as a thunderstorm.
    You’re a bit of a contradiction GP…first post says you have no thoughts on the subject only for you then to produce the thread’s longest post. That begins by suggesting you’ll vote for whoever gives the best deal for those in your position and then condemns democracy as an exercise in political selfishness. As I say…quite some contradictions there.

Think it’s untypically naive to suggest that Brexit - however boring - won’t feature and that criticising (‘slagging off’) the incumbent’s record is unhelpful…but the rest - apart from not caring who wins - I think I agree with.

As for PR? Clearly it isn’t going to have any relevance this time round, but there’s a serious debate to be had there. Will it produce, as you suggest, more ‘centrist, stable and equitable policy making’ - a good thing imo - or is it a way for populists such as Farage to creep into power?

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)