+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations…

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I'd say Baldwin. If not then Bostock or Macca.
    I think Baldwin is the best choice, the responsibility might also focus his mind as his professionalism has been questioned before. That said why hasn’t he signed a new contract yet as I would be shocked if the club hasn’t offered him one.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I think Baldwin is the best choice, the responsibility might also focus his mind as his professionalism has been questioned before. That said why hasn’t he signed a new contract yet as I would be shocked if the club hasn’t offered him one.
    Yeah, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My observations (Kop fans toilet habits not included):

1. Ashby-Hammond has to start on Tuesday.
    2. We have defenders good on the ball, but not good at defending.
    3. Matty Palmer is a massive loss, but Robertson gets better every game.
    4. Our attack is no longer as productive as it should be.

Apart from observation 1, I'm struggling to offer solutions.
    All fair points.

Regarding the attack, confidence in football is key, especially with the fluent way we want to play.

I think the number of goals we've conceded has finally taken its toll on the confidence of the whole team, and hesitancy has crept into the way we're playing. This turns us from a good looking team into a disorganised and deflated one very quickly, as we saw against Gillingham. In the first 20 minutes we played well and scored a great goal, but when the Gills equalised you could see psychological impact it had.

Ergo, we must focus on stopping conceding goals at all costs, no matter what tactical or personnel changes are necessary to to do that. We've got to get back to basics, give ourselves a solid base upon which to build, and in turn that will help the overall confidence of the team, including the attackers.

On a bright note, it's easier to improve the way a team defends than to generate goals out of players who don't know how to score. We know we've plenty of goalscoring ability in the team and it won't have evaporated. Keep more clean sheets and the strikers will get enough goals to win us games.

As a non-spectator but continued club supporter who tunes into this board and media stuff on Notts, one observation that I would make concerns McGoldrick, Bostock and O Brien. Are these not players approaching career ends and might this season have simply worn them out?
    In line with Jackal 2's consistently insightful observations, is the position of keeper and the lack of a quality player in that position not psychologically undermining the whole team? Such a shame. In the past we have been spoiled at Notts by having an unbroken run (until recent times) of outstanding number 1's?

My observations;

1) No monorail news for ages

2) Arguably National League standard not different from League 2 (last season everyone saying how it's the hardest league to get out of etc)

3) The same team we have now were near top of the league just a few weeks ago

New to this board so please don’t shoot me down in flames if this is the wrong thread to post this….

Sam Austin for me is perhaps a player that should be given a run of games down the right hand side in place of Nemane, Namane like most posters have pointed out elsewhere is pretty weak when it comes to defending. Austin has played this position before (Kidderminster) so I would hope he could strengthen us up in that area, but each time he comes off the bench and plays wide it seems to always be down the left on his weaker side. On Friday when he came on, from memory he must have taken on the full back and put in at least 4 crosses in the 15 or so minutes he was on the pitch, could he replicate that on the right with his stronger foot with adding to the defensive duties and also maintaining a willingness to get at a fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by NottsNotCounty View Post
    New to this board so please don’t shoot me down in flames if this is the wrong thread to post this….

Sam Austin for me is perhaps a player that should be given a run of games down the right hand side in place of Nemane, Namane like most posters have pointed out elsewhere is pretty weak when it comes to defending. Austin has played this position before (Kidderminster) so I would hope he could strengthen us up in that area, but each time he comes off the bench and plays wide it seems to always be down the left on his weaker side. On Friday when he came on, from memory he must have taken on the full back and put in at least 4 crosses in the 15 or so minutes he was on the pitch, could he replicate that on the right with his stronger foot with adding to the defensive duties and also maintaining a willingness to get at a fullback.
    I’d like to see Austin start in place of Nemane on Tuesday. One thing I really don’t want to see again is players playing out of position - and keep Jodi Jones on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I’d like to see Austin start in place of Nemane on Tuesday. One thing I really don’t want to see again is players playing out of position - and keep Jodi Jones on the left.
    In an interview for us he said he did play on the right at Cov and said he liked it as he could cut in make things happen but was getting use to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    In an interview for us he said he did play on the right at Cov and said he liked it as he could cut in make things happen but was getting use to the left.
    He is crap..

Adebayo-Rowling has been a sub for SM's 3 games. To cover what?
    If he doesn't get a go now he never will, and he might as well start looking for another club from tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast