+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Give ourselves a break

Give ourselves a break

2 or 3 weeks ago the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers lost their best player to a knee injury. Joel Embiid is the reigning MVP and was going to retain it this year.
    Since that meniscus tear, the 76ers have been in freefall and their prospects for this season are irrevocably damaged. Yet everyone understands. The other players, the coach, the GM, - nobody is taking any flak whatsoever.

We lost our best player twice - first Ruben, and then Matty Palmer to a similar injury to Embiid. We also lost the club's leader in LW.
    **** happens. Fans should give the club and themselves a break. Nobody at the club will be throwing the towel in (hope not anyway!) but supporters would be doing everyone a favour by giving up the fits of rage and despair and remember what happens when you suddenly lose your best people through no fault of your own.

I'd add to that the fact that nobody at the start of the season knew how good we would be in this league.

The start we made created great expectations of a repeat of last season, but now, for a variety of reasons including key injuries, we're seeing our present limitations.

If the season had gone the opposite way around, with a poor start followed by an improvement, the perception of our current position would be entirely different, so following the old adage about treating those two imposters 'triumph' and 'disaster' just the same is probably the way to think right now.

When Maynard was appointed, the OP rightly questioned whether seasoned league professionals would show him respect. It was a fair point, one that is yet to be disproven by events since. But people don't like to hear things that differ from their point of view and he got flamed for it, not least by PutneyPie who descended from nowhere to justify the hiring decision. The OP has now retreated to a position which toes the party line.

I don't think we need these threads telling people off for holding an opinion. It was great to be back in the league and we have done well, but that momentum has now been lost, and momentum is very important. The manager appointment was a missed opportunity to regain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    When Maynard was appointed, the OP rightly questioned whether seasoned league professionals would show him respect. It was a fair point, one that is yet to be disproven by events since. But people don't like to hear things that differ from their point of view and he got flamed for it, not least by PutneyPie who descended from nowhere to justify the hiring decision. The OP has now retreated to a position which toes the party line.
    Interesting
    The point I was making then was totally misunderstood. I didn't like the hire, but I thought the club had done enough to earn our trust. My question was really as narrow as it seemed, would the squad listen to him? But expanding on that, would the team rounded out by the Saunders brothers have the credibility to get the squad's respect?

Now I think we missed something else. The players like him/them, they want to listen to them and do what they ask, but they can't be lifted by them out of the depression caused by losing the club's dominating leader. The whole club had the wind knocked out of its sails, and the new guys haven't been able to re-inflate it. Langstaff would be the prime example, he seemed to love playing for LW.
    I think this thing is fated towards hitting a rock bottom. Players get a slap round the face or slap themselves in the face to get out of the sulk/depression. By that time the season's gone, but it might have been anyway having lost such a key player for the rest of the season. Maybe it was done then. What do you think?