+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me I’m Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Come on, anyone!!

Any RADAR signing (this season) that is good enough for a league 2 promotion push? (Other than Crowley).
    What’s the relevance of it being radar or not?
    The players are signed by Notts County.
    Jason Turner stated a few times that signings are a collective decision.
    And if it was relevant I’d argue Jones/Mcgoldrick, that you aren’t counting, would have eaten up considerable budget so would have affected the calibre of player that radar would pursue.
    I would argue that Robertson has shown enough to suggest he’s good enough but it would be totally unreasonable to call it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Robertson's level was fine against Gillingham. Problem was, nobody else's was (except Jones obviously).

Robertson's role isn't the type where he'll stand out and set the world alight. It's to do the ugly work and then pass the ball quickly to the attacking players. He looks like he'll do that, but we need two of those in midfield to provide a proper screen.

The balance isn't right at present. We got away with it last season but not against the stronger opponents we face now. Bostock is presumably supposed to be a deep lying playmaker, but he's too prone to dwell and give the ball away in dangerous areas, and his tracking and tackling aren't good enough for someone playing a semi-defensive role. For me, there's only space for Bostock or Crowley, and they need to be deployed in an attacking midfield role where they can express themselves and are covered by others if they lose the ball.
    Agree with this.

The team has suffered generally since Palmer’s injury, but Bostock as an individual has suffered arguably the most.

Palmer covered so much ground, and reads the game so well that it gave Bostock the freedom to express himself in a way more suited to his undoubted talents.

He’s now having to perform a role he’s not really suited to, nor got the legs for, due to the lack of alternatives, and all are suffering as a result.

Don't like putting players down - they're trying their best.
    But yes, IMHO Crowley is the only new player who has made a positive impact.

I hope so, but currently he’s not at the necessary level.
    Why on earth are you so negative?

I’m not being negative.

I always support and never boo.

I’m simply saying this season has had poor recruitment. Two summer signings (of many) have been good. Didzy wanted to come here and hence Crowley has been the only sufficient summer signing.

We have signed further players since the summer and none have hit the ground running. Maybe one or two will get up to speed, but probably too late for this season.

Instead of blaming the managers, maybe we should be questioning the head of recruitment?

I’m not being negative.

I’m simply saying this season has had poor recruitment. Two summer signings (of many) have been good. Didzy wanted to come here and hence Crowley has been the only sufficient summer signing.

We have signed further players since the summer and none have hit the ground running. Maybe one or two will get up to speed, but probably too late for this season.

Instead of blaming the managers, maybe we should be questioning the head of recruitment?
    Who is blaming the managers?

We are a work-in-progress.

Robertson is already proving imo to be a good signing.

Macari looks a good prospect.

Warner - only had a couple of games, too early to tell.

Jatta - wait and see

McGoldrick - so ok, he wanted to come here - but still a good signing

I would argue that to say we have only made one good signing is not true.

One thing we know for certain is that Maynard didn't appoint himself, nor has he arrived with a big time reputation and about to do a Kendall or Ince in failing to apply himself properly. It's definitely on those upstairs if this guy fails.

We’ve only made one good (football radar) signing this season.

Crowley

Didzy asked to come and was not a FR signing.

Jones was here last season and hence I’m not counting him as a new signing.

Everyone else signed this season is not good enough for a league 2 promotion push.
    Whilst your focus is about who has come in during the summer it might be worth considering who we retained as well and look at the overall picture of the squad itself.

We kept all our stars apart from Ruben Rodrigues and Crowley is the natural replacement who came in albeit they are different players. So you are not wrong in that respect.

So the budget for Macca (am I right in thinking he got a better deal?) McGoldrick, Palmer, Bostock and Jones and keeping them here was in my view really good business as all those could play in league one.

The question is could we afford to bring in anymore top league two/lower league one level players in other positions?What the club did was stay loyal to those who got us to this level giving them an opportunity to show if they were capable of playing at a higher level. I don’t think there is anything wrong in that and morally in today’s world it’s commendable. Most of those players were defensive players.

This summer there will be a number of players out of contract so I think it’s plausible that the likes of Baldwin and Cameron will survive but others will go to enable two or three top level defensive players to come in. If we want to be challenging for automatic promotion.

The balance of the squad may level out a bit if we do lose a Jones/Langstaff but like with Ruben we would still need suitable equivalents to be challenging for automatic.

I’m not being negative.

Love this sort of mental gymnastics.

Refusing to count signings like Jones and McGoldrick, but ALL the less successful ones are 100% Radar. Including Randall presumably who Williams openly said was one driven by him.

Recruitment is a collective and the budget - which, remember, is nowhere near the likes of Stockport and Mansfield let alone Wrexham - is apportioned appropriately; even with significant wage cuts the likes of Jones and McGoldrick aren’t coming cheap, which means we’re not necessarily shopping in the same market as other L2 promotion chasers to complete the squad.

Langstaff also signed a new 4 year deal at the peak of his powers in August, so you’d think for him to do that he was given a wage befitting of someone who’d just scored 42 goals in a season.

Also, in answer to the question elsewhere in the thread asking if Radar have ever signed a good defender - not everyone will agree but personally I think Aden Baldwin is just that. We wouldn’t be in the EFL without him. But under this kind of logic he’s probably not a Radar signing anyway as he’d worked with LW previously. Rawlinson and Lacey were also very good in our National League days; Rawlinson was POTS for our first two seasons if memory serves correctly. And Mark Ellis was exactly what we needed for a spell as a short term fix. But apart from that…

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Love this sort of mental gymnastics.

Refusing to count signings like Jones and McGoldrick, but ALL the less successful ones are 100% Radar. Including Randall presumably who Williams openly said was one driven by him.

Recruitment is a collective and the budget - which, remember, is nowhere near the likes of Stockport and Mansfield let alone Wrexham - is apportioned appropriately; even with significant wage cuts the likes of Jones and McGoldrick aren’t coming cheap, which means we’re not necessarily shopping in the same market as other L2 promotion chasers to complete the squad.

Langstaff also signed a new 4 year deal at the peak of his powers in August, so you’d think for him to do that he was given a wage befitting of someone who’d just scored 42 goals in a season.

Also, in answer to the question elsewhere in the thread asking if Radar have ever signed a good defender - not everyone will agree but personally I think Aden Baldwin is just that. We wouldn’t be in the EFL without him. But under this kind of logic he’s probably not a Radar signing anyway as he’d worked with LW previously. Rawlinson and Lacey were also very good in our National League days; Rawlinson was POTS for our first two seasons if memory serves correctly. And Mark Ellis was exactly what we needed for a spell as a short term fix. But apart from that…
    what about Archie Mair = Rador or not - it may be a surprise for some - but LW has to take credit for the decision to bring him on ..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast