+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not getting Europe

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    I think the coming window is the one that will answer your question, Zip.

Players like Bruno, Botman and maybe Isak and Big Joe will likely be asking questions if we don't supply the squad with 3-4 quality additions in the summer.

Another point though is; how many of our players can actually transfer to more attractive prospects? Okay, maybe a Saudi move is an upgrade money-wise, but other than that I can't see us losing a lot of players to rival clubs. Pope, Trippier, Schär, Wilson, Barnes, Almiron, Longstaff etc. won't leave for Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG etc. At most, they can make a sideways step or a step down; and what's the point in that if they're happy here?
    Good post. I think the set up here is proactive and most players have bought into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magzer View Post
    Good post. I think the set up here is proactive and most players have bought into it.
    Absolutely agree. And again; many of them don't have better alternatives, really.

Trippier saying no to Bayern also convinced me that it will take something extra for the players to make a move. We are generally a club on the way up and it should be exciting as a player to be a part of the journey.

Would be amazed if we didn't lose anyone and even more amazed if we didn't bring some more in.

From a olayers perspective, what a gig! Big crowd, great stadium, great manager, great owners, positive vibe everywhere, we are very close to a trophy- could even be this year. Players are worshipped, its a great city, amazing folk, a team on the up.

Whats not to like? Europe will come again, maybe next year again. Everyone knows we got into CL too soon but did ourselves credit. Only injuries and Tonali wrecked our chances this year.

If anyone wants to go, including Ashworth, then good luck to them we move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    How much of an impact do you think this will have on our summer business? Some of our big players might reconsider staying if we've only got domestic competition next season. I know they all love being here and being part of this project, etc, but the prospect of playing at a top club who are in European competition next year is certainly one that might turn heads that otherwise might not have been turned.

For my money, that stat of clubs like ours in their first year of Champions League action finishing, on average, 8th, is likely to come true for us. Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Villa and Spurs will all finish ahead of us and there's a very decent chance that Man U and Chelsea will do too..Both those two teams were too good to be sh!t all season. I know we've had some decent results too but with our injuries and respective squads, I expect both to have a stronger finish to the season than us.

Funnily enough, I'm not quite as worried about the situation affecting how we bring in. I'm sure it'll be a barrier to some players but we managed to attract Bruno, Botman and Isak on the promise of what was to come so there's no reason why we can't do so again.

Thoughts?
    These other clubs seem cold, clinical, a business, fickle fans, teams that really aren't as good as ours. I'd like to think we could offer something more - a family, playing for the area and if a player is motivated by money and "prestige" of playing for a "big 6" then I don't want them.

We will have to sell players to balance our books.

But I woulnt be too sad, anyone in this squad can be replaced with as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by toonviking View Post
    We will have to sell players to balance our books.

But I woulnt be too sad, anyone in this squad can be replaced with as good or better.
    That's always the case, but at what price. In coming prices are going to be the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)