+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart Is laughing at us

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    But what's the point of winning matches in league one NOT wanting to return to the Championship?An opportunity to establish ourselves in the Championship has been squandered through lack of ambition.We were told earlier this season a Director of Football was to be brought in.At the time I thought that's what we need ,someone with some experience and knowhow from another club to offer new ideas.What do we finish up doing?Once again the cheap option.Nothing will change!!
    And if we'd brought in a DOF with no connection to the club or town, with fresh ideas, and it didn't work out, there'd be people on here whinging that he "doesn't get the club" and that we should have appointed Rob Scott. Basically the club can't win.

I don't think it's fair to say that the club lacked ambition either this season. We tried something different this time and for reasons we all know, it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    And if we'd brought in a DOF with no connection to the club or town, with fresh ideas, and it didn't work out, there'd be people on here whinging that he "doesn't get the club" and that we should have appointed Rob Scott. Basically the club can't win.

I don't think it's fair to say that the club lacked ambition either this season. We tried something different this time and for reasons we all know, it didn't work out.
    Basically the club can win,by trying to attract new ideas but I suspect that may cause problems at the top.so by "promoting" Scott,everything stays in house and we carry on just the same.

Substitute the word ambition for money.

He spends what he can. It's easy for us to spend his money. His biggest failing is his terminal inability to appoint a decent manager. I look at Plymouth, now an established Championship club in one year. They have had a sequence of excellent managers who were not expensive. They were all discovered by a club which knew the importance of getting this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post

If you compare a scenario where an 'outsider' comes in and we don't do well, to the current shambles, then obviously they can't win... you're using two failures as the options. The alternative *can* be successful, however. It's reductive to compare a situation we face to a failed alternative without considering the alternative could turn out well.

The most exciting time for me whilst watching us is 80/81, 81/82 seasons. Our chairman at the time spent unprecedented amounts of money for us on players ( not his money, the clubs money), signed a top marquee manager too, (Emlyn Hughes). The 2 seasons were out of this world, the best of times and we very nearly made it to the top division, a few missed penalties put pay to that. It took years to get over that both on and off the pitch..

What's the most Stark thing about this is that even when we were knocking on the door of the top flight, we still couldn't get more than 10'000 Rotherham fans to come along and support us.

Unfortunately we are who we are and there's no filthy rich Arab looking to buy Rotherham United..

But filthy rich Americans(now the owners of Huddersfield?) and Swedes were rumoured to have talks. Why did nothing happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    But filthy rich Americans(now the owners of Huddersfield?) and Swedes were rumoured to have talks. Why did nothing happen?
    Picture this. Along comes prospective investors. I say investors because not only do they want to invest they want to split their shares.

This now becomes a muti board ownership. Now, we have Tony Stewart and his Son as shareholders but, and here’s the big factor. There are also four other new board members onboard who after a period, call an extraordinary meeting with a vote of no confidence in the Chairman. There plan all along was to vote him out irrespective he holds the most shares.

Now, I need a legal eagle on here to confirm if this scenario is actually possible? If so I think that’s what TS is afraid of.

I meant the word their not there. Doh!

Again, even if there were someone filthy rich looking to invest - a) we still have to meet FFP rules, b) that would basically piling the club with debt because we won't have enough operating income to cover it, c) it's totally unsustainable unless we can somehow triple the fanbase and keep them and d) there have been lots of other clubs who have piled money in and it hasn't guaranteed success. There are only so many places higher than us in the pyramid, and what if all the other clubs also get big investments?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast