+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart Is laughing at us

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Once upon a time:

I think a lot of people believe Bournemouth reached the promised land on a shoestring.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...air-play-rules
    That`s wierd,been thinking for a while....how the hell do Bournmouth not breach FFP,didn`t realise they had been fined before,but with their tiny crowds,they must be close to doing all the time.
    Maybe one season we could do a Coventry or a Luton,I`m sure they haven`t spent big,I`m still hoping for the Centenary season to be the one,will be my 60th as well,so would be a good time for our one season in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    That`s wierd,been thinking for a while....how the hell do Bournmouth not breach FFP,didn`t realise they had been fined before,but with their tiny crowds,they must be close to doing all the time.
    Maybe one season we could do a Coventry or a Luton,I`m sure they haven`t spent big,I`m still hoping for the Centenary season to be the one,will be my 60th as well,so would be a good time for our one season in the top flight.
    Wouldn't we need promotion this season for that to happen? It's a tall order

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Consolidation in the Championship means lots of lovely TV money comes in. Each season the cash in the bank gets bigger so you can push the boat out further. But to consolidate you need a manager who really knows what he's doing. When Warne left, we could and should have done far better than Taylor. We were doing well in the Championship, an attractive proposition looking as though we might consolidate. But Tony Stewart failed miserably to get the right man. And history has repeated itself now
    So who was the right man? Here is one of the lists from around the time PW departed.

Dean Holden
    4/9
    Mark Bonner
    5/2
    Paul Hurst
    9/1
    Neil Warnock
    18/1
    Gareth Ainsworth
    20/1
    Rob Edwards
    20/1
    Matt Taylor (Exeter)
    22/1
    Richard Wood
    22/1
    Duncan Ferguson
    25/1
    Jonathan Woodgate
    25/1

We know what happened with regards Bonner. Rob Edwards had just parted company with Watford and was sitting on 1.2m he'd have to give up if he took a job. Schumacher was also mentioned by fans but though to not be interested. SE as always was mentioned.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time many lauded the arrival of MT. PW leaving when he did, 1.5 months into a season and just after the transfer window closed also didn't aid the situation.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 15-02-2024 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    So who was the right man? Here is one of the lists from around the time PW departed.

Dean Holden
    4/9
    Mark Bonner
    5/2
    Paul Hurst
    9/1
    Neil Warnock
    18/1
    Gareth Ainsworth
    20/1
    Rob Edwards
    20/1
    Matt Taylor (Exeter)
    22/1
    Richard Wood
    22/1
    Duncan Ferguson
    25/1
    Jonathan Woodgate
    25/1

We know what happened with regards Bonner. Rob Edwards had just parted company with Watford and was sitting on 1.2m he'd have to give up if he took a job. Schumacher was also mentioned by fans but though to not be interested. SE as always was mentioned.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time many lauded the arrival of MT. PW leaving when he did, 1.5 months into a season and just after the transfer window closed also didn't aid the situation.
    Yes, PW deserting the ship was certainly a watershed moment

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    We are where we are I’m afraid. Whether that’s a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.
    We have always been in the shadow of the bigger Sheffield clubs. Sure we have given them a bloody nose along the way, even been in higher divisions, but this will never make us a bigger club. Typically even under Anton Johnson, we survived just two seasons in the second tier, and Emlyn Hughes got sacked.
    Even 30 million would only extend our stay by a season or two. Ronnies was the best attempt, where we survived four seasons before eventually descending.
    There is now much more money, and larger squads favour the bigger clubs. Mega wealthy owners, stupid wages.
    I must admit I am confused as to what to think.

Our natural level is League 1, and because of what has happened in recent years, a very strong and competitive League 1 team. An attractive proposition for that level but not so for the level above.
    The big disappointment is that we are now well adrift in a very average league (aside from 4-6 teams) and the end of the season can’t come quick enough.

One side of me thinks League 1 is our level, and we should win more games but from a progressive viewpoint, that level holds limited interest.
    The wall of secrecy and poor communication drives me further away and don’t feel I have the connection I once had. It is no longer enjoyable.
    Bearing in mind having followed and travelled the length and breadth of the country in those dark days of the seventies that is some statement. Relegation to Division 4 for the first time.
    Night games at Swansea, Southend Carlisle, long trips to Queen of the South for a friendly and hitch hiking to to Plymouth. I feel looking back we had more identity then than now. It was something to look forward to and enjoy, regardless of result. We knew we weren’t great but we knew who we were as a club.
    Those days have gone though. We are just customers. There might be a plan but we don’t know. We just cannot compete at this level against much bigger teams, many of whom have a wages ratio of far more than 100% than revenue generated, which makes it impossible for us.
    Money is king now. I am looking for a club that is no longer there, a bit like looking at pictures of Rotherham town centre from a bygone era. I went with my Dad, who passed in 2021 at the age of 98, having followed the club since 1933. It was more than a pastime. It was a whole way of life.
    Those days will never return and perhaps I should accept that and should be looking at other forms of enjoyment away from football for my sporting fix.
    I will always want the best for my team, but amongst all the vitriol within the fan base, the indifference and poor communication from the club, I feel that my love for the club that once meant so much to me, has sadly (along with my Dad) died.
    I just wanted to say that this post epitomises all I feel not only about the club but the game in general.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 15-02-2024 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    We are where we are I’m afraid. Whether that’s a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.
    We have always been in the shadow of the bigger Sheffield clubs. Sure we have given them a bloody nose along the way, even been in higher divisions, but this will never make us a bigger club. Typically even under Anton Johnson, we survived just two seasons in the second tier, and Emlyn Hughes got sacked.
    Even 30 million would only extend our stay by a season or two. Ronnies was the best attempt, where we survived four seasons before eventually descending.
    There is now much more money, and larger squads favour the bigger clubs. Mega wealthy owners, stupid wages.
    I must admit I am confused as to what to think.

Our natural level is League 1, and because of what has happened in recent years, a very strong and competitive League 1 team. An attractive proposition for that level but not so for the level above.
    The big disappointment is that we are now well adrift in a very average league (aside from 4-6 teams) and the end of the season can’t come quick enough.

One side of me thinks League 1 is our level, and we should win more games but from a progressive viewpoint, that level holds limited interest.
    The wall of secrecy and poor communication drives me further away and don’t feel I have the connection I once had. It is no longer enjoyable.
    Bearing in mind having followed and travelled the length and breadth of the country in those dark days of the seventies that is some statement. Relegation to Division 4 for the first time.
    Night games at Swansea, Southend Carlisle, long trips to Queen of the South for a friendly and hitch hiking to to Plymouth. I feel looking back we had more identity then than now. It was something to look forward to and enjoy, regardless of result. We knew we weren’t great but we knew who we were as a club.
    Those days have gone though. We are just customers. There might be a plan but we don’t know. We just cannot compete at this level against much bigger teams, many of whom have a wages ratio of far more than 100% than revenue generated, which makes it impossible for us.
    Money is king now. I am looking for a club that is no longer there, a bit like looking at pictures of Rotherham town centre from a bygone era. I went with my Dad, who passed in 2021 at the age of 98, having followed the club since 1933. It was more than a pastime. It was a whole way of life.
    Those days will never return and perhaps I should accept that and should be looking at other forms of enjoyment away from football for my sporting fix.
    I will always want the best for my team, but amongst all the vitriol within the fan base, the indifference and poor communication from the club, I feel that my love for the club that once meant so much to me, has sadly (along with my Dad) died.
    Quite a touching post that.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    I usually look to Kieran Maguire on this - for Luton basically it's difficult to tell quite what they were operating like in their promotion season because while their wage costs look very high (150% of turnover) a chunk of that likely to have been from promotion bonuses. And they lost £21m overall but some of that might have been from sorting out their stadium https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/st...23226043900396

This is the picture for Cov, though under previous owners that left in Jan 23, not sure what the situation is now. https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/st...90350890315780

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Once upon a time:

I think a lot of people believe Bournemouth reached the promised land on a shoestring.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...air-play-rules
    I'm not sure people did think that.
    More likely they wondered why a billionaire would want to buy Bournemouth in the first place and then be envious of what a small club can achieve with an extremely wealthy and ambitious owner.
    Breaking FFP rules all those years ago resulted in a fine which was effectively loose change compared to the riches available in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I'm not sure people did think that.
    More likely they wondered why a billionaire would want to buy Bournemouth in the first place and then be envious of what a small club can achieve with an extremely wealthy and ambitious owner.
    Breaking FFP rules all those years ago resulted in a fine which was effectively loose change compared to the riches available in the Premier League.
    Maybe because it's a bike ride away from Sandbanks, and having that on the doorstep appealed more than having Wincobank next door.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Maybe because it's a bike ride away from Sandbanks, and having that on the doorstep appealed more than having Wincobank next door.
    I'm not sure billionaires think like that when investing in what appears to be a limited opportunity to an outsider.
    Sandbanks has always been there and Bournemouth has always been a club with a small supporter base

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast