+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Rainbow Balls

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    It’s political posturing. Having rainbow colours on a football will make **** all difference to any community. How people live their lives is up to them providing that they don’t impact others but I, and many others, object to having the agendas of these pressure groups rammed down our throats. Honestly, if I was a player and someone told me to wear a rainbow armband and boot laces, I would tell them to shove them where the Sun don’t shine. The knee bending bull**** has only exacerbated racism in football, in my opinion. Why should such pressure groups be given the opportunity to preach to us? It’s offensive.
    Brilliant series of programmes on Radio 4 right now called Wokewash. Each episodes looks at a different of aspect Race, Feminism, LGBTetc and how Big Brands are trumpeting their 'support' to boost their profits. Don't believe we're having it rammed down our throats? Have a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Al', Ketts and Phil' are going to s hit the bed when they read this �� �� �� ......

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/efl-and-p...r-rainbow-ball
    Come on 68, when you posted this you knew precisely what you were doing.

My initial response to the thread was-

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Football is and should be all inclusive. Even older members of my family have come to terms with a more modern outlook of today’s society. That said, I am fully understanding and I guess its says more about the time you were brought up and lived in perhaps. Gladly, most realise things move on and we have to move on with things as they move on sometimes.

Who gives a hoot what colour a football is anyway. I just want to watch football.
    Pulling those two sentences apart-

I would wish football to be inclusive but I understood it is unlikely to happen. The reason it is unlikely to happen is because there are racist out there, there are homophobes out there, there are misogynists out there. We can never, as a society, make all these individuals understand that they are left behind in an age past. If they do not wish to be part of a modern society fine, but let those that do do so.

There is some well thought out responses on this thread to the EFL’s announcement that they were going to use rainbow coloured balls. Some not so, those being ill thought out, perhaps alcohol related or perhaps, reading between the lines, the poster holds views that they are not comfortable to put into writing on a public forum.

In essence, I care not one iota what colour football is used and I care not one iota who I sit next to at a football match as I and my family want to be inclusive of the club we support and I want the people sat by me to feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    It’s political posturing. Having rainbow colours on a football will make **** all difference to any community. How people live their lives is up to them providing that they don’t impact others but I, and many others, object to having the agendas of these pressure groups rammed down our throats.
    I am sure many men had similar thoughts when Emmeline Pankhurst and the Suffragette movement fought for women’s rights. Who’d have thought that they would have had to do so.

I totally agree with your point in regard to the knee bending. The point of it has been lost. I dislike it and have never been in favour of it. For me it has done more to divide than to do otherwise. It was and remains, in my humble opinion, an ill thought out action and I wish our players would stop doing it. However, it is a matter for each individual and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    We wouldn’t be in this position now of overcompensating for marginalised groups if people would have just focussed on football.

This comes from racial abuse, bananas thrown on the pitch, homophobia and a history of oppression. It’s hard to agree that a welcoming approach isn’t involved in the game when that’s the history of it.
    A sad reflection perhaps on the past which still echos in todays society. Should we give up trying to encourage those with these damaging mindsets to desist in their abhorrent behavior, which is unacceptable in todays society. I hope we don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    100% agree with you! The point about some might object to that female ref showing her lovely legs last night is because there are minorities that could be offended. It’s England some say but hey - complete morons object to the English flag being flown and some councils etc pander to this!

Football supporters are being picked on too due to woke. Do the police have the same consistency at other sporting events like tennis? Surely songs about Jimmy Saville and that murdering nurse are sicker than some of the top woke highlights but nothing is ever done! Consistency please!

Soon players will be walking out in life jackets in support of those coming in on dinghies!

Crazy - let’s focus on football!
    I am unsure what sentiments Al trying to putting over. ‘Players walking out in life jackets in support of those coming in on dinghies.’ What does that have to do with inclusion?

Al’s opinion on what should be done with those poor unfortunates is well documented on here. His ideal, to do what the Greeks have done, and push them back out to sea to certain death, is not acceptable or humane.

Those that may be offended by a female referee wearing shorts, I suspect, would offended by the footballing authorities allowing women to officiate full stop. Should we treat a female referee different to their male counterparts. Should we make them wear joggers perhaps? No.
    And why use the term ‘lovely legs’, when making reference to a female referee.

Any argument he might have had is watered down, possibly lost altogether by the use of those words in that first sentence!

I agree with his last sentence, in which he agreed with the last sentence of my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    If anyone takes the time to read the link that Albionic has posted you will read all this nonsense about the 'LGBTQ+ community" There is no such thing as LGBTQIA community. All these alphabet letters are all mutually exclusive

Gays are not fussed about lesbies they have no use for the other and almost none meet in any ‘community’ spaces. Lebos can't abide the trannies because they reject the lie that trans women are women

All this diverse inclusiveness is really about pushing the nonsense that is 'gender ideology' that men and women do not have diferences ie no such thing as biological s e x. If you buy into this rainbow match ball b0llux then you are unknowingly supporting misogyny by giving more succour to these MALE tranny activists who are taking part in women’s sports and taking away women achievements. LGB don’t want to be a part of this so called community, its really all about the weird TQ bit.
    Men and women do have differences Phil. I think we”d all agree on that. But they should all be treated as equal, no matter what ***ual orientation they are. That said it is down to Government along with legislators, sporting and other organisations to safeguard against competition between people who have elected to change gender from birth, in that they are unable to compete in competition against others in which their gender would provide them with a distinct advantage. (This of course would become an issue to those who will want to gain an advantage by whatever means.)

Your point, where you indicate there is division amongst the LGBQ+ community is likely correct. That division is understandable for the reasons I have stated above. No community is without division and that is the whole point of discussion, understanding and working to bring together the aspects that divide.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    We live in a world of unrealistic expectations . “This must never happen again!” “We must put a stop to this and I won’t rest until we do!” This makes people believe you can eradicate bad behaviours, or unacceptable behaviours. When you get 23,000 people together only robots would think and act the same. You can only LESSEN traits you can’t remove them entirely. What this thinking has achieved is that clubs like ours have to face fines and disciplinary action because of the behaviour of one person or two people. No one is safe from having to carry the can for a few who don’t conform to society guidelines for whatever reasons.
    Boingy, does this mean we should stop trying to lessen bad behaviors. Surely education is better than allowing unacceptable behavior to become the norm. It does appear there is an age demographic in play on this site.

Clubs have been fined for decades due to the behavior of their fans. I recall posters from here indicating they were involved in fighting with opposing fans in their younger years but now, I imagine, they would condemn such behavior. Age does play a part in people’s thinking. Perhaps there is a thinking if the clubs are punished then they would make more effort to deal firmly with those responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    One thing I just don't understand about any of this, is how does this really affect your life? Does it really matter if the ball has a few extra colours on, as long as we can see it?

Does it matter that the players take a knee for a few seconds? We wait far longer for Furlong to take a throw in.

I just don't see how it negatively affects anyone's life. But it might improve someone else's, so what's the problem?
    Good post 123.

That’s where I started.

We can all be educated. Take seatbelts for example. I read about the furore when the legislation came in. People needed to be educated that it was simply the sensible thing to do. We all do it now without a thought as soon as we get into a vehicle.

Smoking, how many smokers have stopped because they were unable to smoke in pubs and restaurants. Millions I guess. I was one, I hated the thought of not going to the pub or have a meal out and light up. I wouldn’t want to be in a pub or restaurant full of smoke now. now. I wouldn’t touch a cigarette. I have been educated, I accept my thinking back along was wrong.

Think of all the principles we take for granted today that generations before had to fight tooth and nail for.

Most understand you will not educate all, particularly those with a hatred towards different nationalities, those that are offended by another’s ethnicity, those that are offended by women in power or women in general, those that are offended by another’s religion or religion in general.

If you are offended by a rainbow football then give football grounds a miss while they are in use. If your not, enjoy the game and welcome all those around you who are there to do the same.

I shall now retreat to my underground shelter.
    Last edited by On Balance; 15-02-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Are you asking me?
    I was asking everyone, you are welcome to comment

Hello. All I did was post a link to an article which I presumed would have Phil, Al and Ketts foaming at the mouth. That's because the mental imagery in my mind was hilarious.

That is all. I wasn't posting to antagonise or provoke reaction as I couldn't give a s hit about Rainbow campaigns one way or the other.

I’m not sure that I would be in favour of a rainbow coloured football. Has anybody really tested how easy or difficult it might be for the players to focus on said ball. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Come on 68, when you posted this you knew precisely what you were doing.

My initial response to the thread was-

Pulling those two sentences apart-

I would wish football to be inclusive but I understood it is unlikely to happen. The reason it is unlikely to happen is because there are racist out there, there are homophobes out there, there are misogynists out there. We can never, as a society, make all these individuals understand that they are left behind in an age past. If they do not wish to be part of a modern society fine, but let those that do do so.

There is some well thought out responses on this thread to the EFL’s announcement that they were going to use rainbow coloured balls. Some not so, those being ill thought out, perhaps alcohol related or perhaps, reading between the lines, the poster holds views that they are not comfortable to put into writing on a public forum.

In essence, I care not one iota what colour football is used and I care not one iota who I sit next to at a football match as I and my family want to be inclusive of the club we support and I want the people sat by me to feel the same.

I am sure many men had similar thoughts when Emmeline Pankhurst and the Suffragette movement fought for women’s rights. Who’d have thought that they would have had to do so.

I totally agree with your point in regard to the knee bending. The point of it has been lost. I dislike it and have never been in favour of it. For me it has done more to divide than to do otherwise. It was and remains, in my humble opinion, an ill thought out action and I wish our players would stop doing it. However, it is a matter for each individual and I respect that.

A sad reflection perhaps on the past which still echos in todays society. Should we give up trying to encourage those with these damaging mindsets to desist in their abhorrent behavior, which is unacceptable in todays society. I hope we don’t.

I am unsure what sentiments Al trying to putting over. ‘Players walking out in life jackets in support of those coming in on dinghies.’ What does that have to do with inclusion?

Al’s opinion on what should be done with those poor unfortunates is well documented on here. His ideal, to do what the Greeks have done, and push them back out to sea to certain death, is not acceptable or humane.

Those that may be offended by a female referee wearing shorts, I suspect, would offended by the footballing authorities allowing women to officiate full stop. Should we treat a female referee different to their male counterparts. Should we make them wear joggers perhaps? No.
    And why use the term ‘lovely legs’, when making reference to a female referee.

Any argument he might have had is watered down, possibly lost altogether by the use of those words in that first sentence!

I agree with his last sentence, in which he agreed with the last sentence of my first post.

Men and women do have differences Phil. I think we”d all agree on that. But they should all be treated as equal, no matter what ***ual orientation they are. That said it is down to Government along with legislators, sporting and other organisations to safeguard against competition between people who have elected to change gender from birth, in that they are unable to compete in competition against others in which their gender would provide them with a distinct advantage. (This of course would become an issue to those who will want to gain an advantage by whatever means.)

Your point, where you indicate there is division amongst the LGBQ+ community is likely correct. That division is understandable for the reasons I have stated above. No community is without division and that is the whole point of discussion, understanding and working to bring together the aspects that divide.

Boingy, does this mean we should stop trying to lessen bad behaviors. Surely education is better than allowing unacceptable behavior to become the norm. It does appear there is an age demographic in play on this site.

Clubs have been fined for decades due to the behavior of their fans. I recall posters from here indicating they were involved in fighting with opposing fans in their younger years but now, I imagine, they would condemn such behavior. Age does play a part in people’s thinking. Perhaps there is a thinking if the clubs are punished then they would make more effort to deal firmly with those responsible.

Good post 123.

That’s where I started.

We can all be educated. Take seatbelts for example. I read about the furore when the legislation came in. People needed to be educated that it was simply the sensible thing to do. We all do it now without a thought as soon as we get into a vehicle.

Smoking, how many smokers have stopped because they were unable to smoke in pubs and restaurants. Millions I guess. I was one, I hated the thought of not going to the pub or have a meal out and light up. I wouldn’t want to be in a pub or restaurant full of smoke now. now. I wouldn’t touch a cigarette. I have been educated, I accept my thinking back along was wrong.

Think of all the principles we take for granted today that generations before had to fight tooth and nail for.

Most understand you will not educate all, particularly those with a hatred towards different nationalities, those that are offended by another’s ethnicity, those that are offended by women in power or women in general, those that are offended by another’s religion or religion in general.

If you are offended by a rainbow football then give football grounds a miss while they are in use. If your not, enjoy the game and welcome all those around you who are there to do the same.

I shall now retreat to my underground shelter.

Totally respect your view but other views are other views which people are allowed. I know for a fact some gay guys/girls cringe at rainbow this and rainbow that. I have lots of friends who are gay who are fantastic individuals having worked for many years in the holiday/airline business and don't like things like Pride rammed down people's throats. A good many ( not all ) black people cringe at taking the knee now and some players refuse to participate.

Don't like hypocrites who support these groups and are happy to pocket big bucks from countries like Saudi or Qatar. That to me does not make sense. Friends won't travel to the Middle East due to their stance on the treatment of females - totally get this and for sticking to their principles. Well done them!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I’m not sure that I would be in favour of a rainbow coloured football. Has anybody really tested how easy or difficult it might be for the players to focus on said ball. Just a thought!
    Now that I’ve seen the ball it shouldn’t be a problem. I thought that each panel would have been a different colour of the rainbow which could have caused problems.

“Does that mean we shouldn’t try?”

I don’t think any club has tried harder than this one do you? And that’s my point. You won’t EVER stop some idiot shouting out stuff. Deal with the individual NOT the club that did more against racism than any other club.

Who cares now what colour the balls are…….

…….Takeover!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)