+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Macari Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Back to the kick off times etc, didn't Southend, at one time, play their home games on Friday evening as there was a market there on Saturday?
    Yes there was a Saturday market at the back of one of their stands, in the club car park I think, so they played all their home games Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by ladyretfordpie View Post
    and to mention how wonderful Baldwin was! I think he has a crush
    As regular as clockwork at around the 75min mark (but as an AB fan I don't mind that ).
    Overall, I don't mind DBG at all. He's pretty good at his job - knowledgeable and does his homework. Maybe he should describe the play more. Is there too much expected of commentators to be wits and raconteurs? This is where they go wrong IMO (DBG not the worst for this), nobody follows a football match to be exposed to one guy's 'unique' sense of humour. Good-humoured yes, but humorous? Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Yes there was a Saturday market at the back of one of their stands, in the club car park I think, so they played all their home games Friday night
    That's interesting as my first Notts match was away at Southend and I can just remember it was dark (and my dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on!). Checked on UTM's site and it was a Friday night match. Now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    That's interesting as my first Notts match was away at Southend and I can just remember it was dark (and my dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on!). Checked on UTM's site and it was a Friday night match. Now I know why.
    Was this the game where Mick Rose defied all that the Shrimpers threw at him and we sneaked a thoroughly undeserved 1-0 ?

For a period, Tranmere became the club chiefly associated with Friday fixtures, making the switch permanent as they'd always clash with either Liverpool or Everton on a Saturday afternoon. A move that likely played some part (possibly a very big one) in their rapid ascent. Saint & Greavsie began showing reports of their games introduced as "our Friday night favourites" which must have generated a lot of interest in them, no club in the bottom two tiers (or even tier 2) got as much national publicity as them at the time and they went from struggling in the 4th tier to top half 2nd tier promotion challengers almost overnight, boasting some big name signings and eventually reaching the League Cup Final.

Colchester used to play a lot of Friday night fixtures in the 90's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    I love that lad! What a fun , honest and refreshing interview. No sound bites, no clichés , just a young man happy and excited to be playing for us. He had a fabulous game and yes Jodi gets all the plaudits but often to defenders eyes were taken off Jodi as Lewis got behind them with overlaps on many occasions. Long may his enthusiasm and energy for the game continue.
    A bit late to this but I've just listened to the interview and I think it's a breath of fresh air. Lewis Macari comes across as a really likeable personality and you can tell it's a joy for him to be playing football for a living and following in his grandads footsteps.

I'm pleased that Notts are having the right kind of characters coming to the club now compared to sometimes in the past. Again it's about building that reputation and providing a platform as a good place for young up and coming ambitious players and coaches to come and develop and grow whilst taking the club forward as well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456