+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macari Interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    His reaction to Bracegirdle's "coupon buster" comment was just wonderful, obviously didn't have a clue what he was on about!
    "must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

Do we know what Macari's issues were? Hope it's all sorted. It seems that the formation allowed Jodi to be more adventurous knowing there was cover rather than fearing what would happen if he lost the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    "must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

Do we know what Macari's issues were? Hope it's all sorted. It seems that the formation allowed Jodi to be more adventurous knowing there was cover rather than fearing what would happen if he lost the ball.
    Coupons were old small time football betting papers, I remember my dad doing them now and again. With Macrai behind Jodi was didn't have to think about his defencive duties as much and could just roam more, worked a treat.

[QUOTE=Old_pie;40449739]"must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the football pools run by the likes of Littlewoods and Vernons were known as coupons.

[QUOTE=CheltenhamPie;40449799]

I may be wrong, but I believe that the football pools run by the likes of Littlewoods and Vernons were known as coupons.
    That's what I thought. No chance of Macari having a clue what he was talking about!

Interesting snippet that SM had Cameron, Baldwin and Warner doing the pre match drills to throw Newport off the scent we were playing 4 at the back, crafty and no doubt worked as they eventually changed shape.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Interesting snippet that SM had Cameron, Baldwin and Warner doing the pre match drills to throw Newport off the scent we were playing 4 at the back, crafty and no doubt worked as they eventually changed shape.
    Bracegirdle broadly picked that up on the commentary, but I don't think it made a huge difference anyway. This was mentioned in dispatches by others a day or two ago and just shows the outstanding level of detail. Bravo! Lewis looked extremely nervous in his interview, but he did a fantastic job on the pitch. He will go a long way and it's very good news to see such a grounded chap signing a contract in a position where we need strength.
    Last edited by queenslandpie; 15-02-2024 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling.

[QUOTE=CheltenhamPie;40449799]

I had vaguely remembered the term and there was a time in the '60's when my Dad and I would do the Football Pools. I remember once my Mum who knew nothing of football being offered an option and she put Crewe v Tottenham in the FA Cup as a draw and we both laughed. Crewe 2 - 2 Tottenham. The expected result occured in the White Hart Lane replay, 13-2

Anyhow, we are on the internet and Wikipedia tells us:

"Competitions for predicting the results of football matches are older than the football league itself. The Cricket and Football Field newspaper, in its edition of 10 September 1887, offered a prize of one guinea to "the Competitor who predicts the results" of four football matches to be played the following Saturday. Readers were invited to cut out and fill in a coupon printed in the newspaper, which had to be sent to the newspaper's offices by the Friday before the matches."

That was it, was so long ago I couldn't remember the companies involved but now I've had a flashback of wearing flares

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    That was it, was so long ago I couldn't remember the companies involved but now I've had a flashback of wearing flares
    Zetters was another pools company IIRC

They're still going I was still doing them a couple of years back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast