+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundwood

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I thought so, but some readers might not get why we left there.
    Get your gist Grist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    I know mate.

Should have Tony Stewart put a offer into buy the Hooten Roberts site previously, instead of
    trying to upgrade a run down Roundwood, which would have made allotments.
    That's a bit harsh ELK. Roundwood is/was a perfectly good sports complex, just not anywhere near good enough for a Championship aspiring 'professional' football club.

It was like trying to make the old LNER in Swinton/Mexborough into our training ground.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    That's a bit harsh ELK. Roundwood is/was a perfectly good sports complex, just not anywhere near good enough for a Championship aspiring 'professional' football club.

It was like trying to make the old LNER in Swinton/Mexborough into our training ground.
    I was in the Roundwood clubhouse before Christmas, went to bar for some drinks, barmaid said you don't
    want to pay with a card do you, because some workmen had dug a hole near the training ground huts,
    & cut through the clubs internet cable.
    She said she went out to them & told them they cut the cable, all they did was fill the hole up, put tarmac
    on the surface & leave.
    So who ever came out to repair the cable had to did the hole out again, why didn't they put some safety
    barriers around the hole.

Roundwood though might have strange covenant and ownership issues due to the link to British Steel/Liberty/Tata

Making outright purchase difficult

I know mate.

Should have Tony Stewart put a offer into buy the Hooten Roberts site previously, instead of
    trying to upgrade a run down Roundwood, which would have made allotments.
    Roundwood though might have strange covenant and ownership issues due to the link to British Steel/Liberty/Tata

Making outright purchase difficult
    I did say purchase Hooten Roberts not Roundwood Grist [ I added the Hooten Roberts, after you answered about Booth empire ]

I did say purchase Hooten Roberts not Roundwood Grist [ I added the Hooten Roberts, after you answered about Booth empire ]
    Another site though subject to flooding

I was in the Roundwood clubhouse before Christmas, went to bar for some drinks, barmaid said you don't
    want to pay with a card do you, because some workmen had dug a hole near the training ground huts,
    & cut through the clubs internet cable.
    She said she went out to them & told them they cut the cable, all they did was fill the hole up, put tarmac
    on the surface & leave.
    So who ever came out to repair the cable had to did the hole out again, why didn't they put some safety
    barriers around the hole.
    As I said ELK, perfectly good as a family sports complex for golf, football, cricket, bowls and not just allotments. Not good enough for RUFC in 2024, see the youtube video I'd posted to see what others are doing. However, to put it into context as to why Seattle can spend so much on a training ground, their nearest rivals in the sport are Vancouver (Canada) and Portland (Oregon). That's like Rotherham having a catchment area from Carlisle to Watford where probably 70 of the 92 FL clubs can be found.

Even clapped out Millmoor had an indoor pitch, known as the gym and built at the behest of one T Docherty. Not a full size pitch but not bad. This does make me wonder. It was only 50 plus years ago though so I'm being terribly unfair

We need to remember that TS/the club already owns a suitable site for development on Bawtry Road, another ex steel company sports ground

We need to remember that TS/the club already owns a suitable site for development on Bawtry Road, another ex steel company sports ground
    Exactly,why has nothing happened with this in over 10 years ?
    It never gets mentioned,if it isn`t going to get developed for the club,why haven`t they sold it,or turned it into houses ?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast