+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Player ratings v Wrexham

He is a Right winger and nothing else. When he plays the wing back roll he is a defensive liability. if we can get him to play in his natural position, and take on defenders more consistently during the game then he would be ok. He lets himself down when he has the opportunity to beat his man, but more often than not, he checks and passes the ball back.. If he plays, he needs to be told to go at his man and get the ball into the box... We can but hope....

Had a re-watch of the whole game, so better late than never I'm going...

Ashby-Hammond 6 - Very little to do
    Nemane 6 - Poor at right-back, looked more like his better self after he escaped that role
    Warner 7 - His best game yet
    Baldwin 8 - MoM Game after game he's hitting this high standard
    Cameron 6 - Not as bad as others rated, but so so-so
    Robertson 7 - Combative, neat and tidy. I don't think we could've done much better for Palmer's replacement and Bostock's partner
    Bostock 6 - OK, but the minimum he can do really...and close to a liability in our box
    Jones 6 - Faded badly in the 2nd half, was our main attacking force in the 1st
    Crowley 7 - busy and probing for the whole 90mins.
    McGoldrick 5 - too much of a burden put on him this season, physical struggles are affecting his quality on the ball
    Langstaff 5 - struggles to impact these kind of games

Subs
    Macari 6 - OK, got forward well a couple of times when we were chasing
    Chicksen 5 - If he was put on to inject energy from LCB, it didn't work
    Austin 4 - We've been struggling to add anything with our subs. This messy cameo sums it up
    Colkett 6 - OK

Generally, a very good performance in one of this season's most difficult games. But we know that we flatter to deceive when the chips are down and go down to defeat far too meekly. What's that, 17 defeats in all comps this season? They've gotten too used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Had a re-watch of the whole game, so better late than never I'm going...

Ashby-Hammond 6 - Very little to do
    Nemane 6 - Poor at right-back, looked more like his better self after he escaped that role
    Warner 7 - His best game yet
    Baldwin 8 - MoM Game after game he's hitting this high standard
    Cameron 6 - Not as bad as others rated, but so so-so
    Robertson 7 - Combative, neat and tidy. I don't think we could've done much better for Palmer's replacement and Bostock's partner
    Bostock 6 - OK, but the minimum he can do really...and close to a liability in our box
    Jones 6 - Faded badly in the 2nd half, was our main attacking force in the 1st
    Crowley 7 - busy and probing for the whole 90mins.
    McGoldrick 5 - too much of a burden put on him this season, physical struggles are affecting his quality on the ball
    Langstaff 5 - struggles to impact these kind of games

Subs
    Macari 6 - OK, got forward well a couple of times when we were chasing
    Chicksen 5 - If he was put on to inject energy from LCB, it didn't work
    Austin 4 - We've been struggling to add anything with our subs. This messy cameo sums it up
    Colkett 6 - OK

Generally, a very good performance in one of this season's most difficult games. But we know that we flatter to deceive when the chips are down and go down to defeat far too meekly. What's that, 17 defeats in all comps this season? They've gotten too used to it.
    We're still using Austin in completely the wrong role - for a game like Wrexham away he should be one of the first picks, he's brilliant at pressing, closing down, helping you get a foothold in the game. What he isn't is some explosive sub who's likely to come on and have an impact, we yet again insisted on starting every single player who could possibly do that role.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    We're still using Austin in completely the wrong role - for a game like Wrexham away he should be one of the first picks, he's brilliant at pressing, closing down, helping you get a foothold in the game. What he isn't is some explosive sub who's likely to come on and have an impact, we yet again insisted on starting every single player who could possibly do that role.
    It’s like we’ve got about 5 players whose contract states they have to start every week. Disallowed goals aside McGoldrick was completely ineffective last week, what a player he would have been to bring on with 20-25 minutes to go.

Same again tomorrow no doubt, let’s hope we see the goal threat these lads bring without the terrible defending.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    It’s like we’ve got about 5 players whose contract states they have to start every week. Disallowed goals aside McGoldrick was completely ineffective last week, what a player he would have been to bring on with 20-25 minutes to go.

Same again tomorrow no doubt, let’s hope we see the goal threat these lads bring without the terrible defending.
    I don’t see how you can bench McGoldrick personally. Especially in the big games.
    His goal against Wrexham should have stood, that gets us a point. He was easily our best attacking threat in both games against Mansfield. He was the goalscorer against Stockport.
    12 goals playing in a deeper role is a very good return.
    In a much tougher division, he’s probably going to finish around the same amount of goals as Rodrigues did last season.

Agree, keeping it ticking over in the number 10 role 👍

Agree with all 4 of the latest replies.
    Maybe the sweet spot is to say the balance of pitch time for Didzy and Austin hasn't been quite right

We've ended up flogging a 36 year-old and leaving a hungry 27 year-old feeding off just scraps of time

I've said before, it's not any contract thing as BFP jokes, or ego, it's something daft - Didzy always plays and stays on because of 'height'

If they were exactly the same players with the same histories, but the two of them swapped heights (even if Austin was still a poor header/leaper), their pitch times would've been much, much closer.

For the run in, it'd be good if SM could get over this, keep Didzy sharp and give Austin more of a chance to make an impact at his peak age.

I’ve just taken on a guy at work who is good mates with Austin, going back to college days.
    He was saying Austin was a right back up until the last two seasons at Kiddy.
    That’s certainly a position I would say is up for grabs at the moment.

To be blunt, Austin just isn’t good enough in that position, or CM, at this level imo. He is nowhere near the level of Didzy in touch, strength, vision, or technique and to play him there instead of Didzy would see our goal threat reduce significantly. He’s had plenty of chances but just doesn’t impact the game enough when he starts.

His best games have come from out wide or wing back, as someone else alluded to that position is up for grabs, he’s probably the second best crosser at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    His best games have come from out wide or wing back, as someone else alluded to that position is up for grabs, he’s probably the second best crosser at the club.
    I agree. I think his best games have been as a wide attacking midfielder, whether that's cutting in or crossing the ball. I think it was in the home FA Cup game against Shrewsbury earlier in the season where he was our best player by a distance, posing a threat every time he got on the ball, but then in the following games he was moved into other positions again. I think Sam Austin is a very capable player, but his versatility has been over-used to the point of being abused, and in my opinion it has set him back unfairly.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast