+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving re tests for 65 years and older?

Driving re tests for 65 years and older?

I read news today that someone has petitioned Parliament to try to get enough support for the 65’s and over to be retested.

Maybe someone could petition for re tests of everyone aged between 17 and 30 because most of the terrible driving I see is from this sort of age demographic!?

I’ll readily admit that at 62 I’m not as sharp as I used to be but I’ve still avoided a couple of terrible potential crashes this year thanks to my reflexes.

I’m a much steadier, thoughtful and slower driver than I used to be, I very much still to speed limits on everything other than the motorways these days and even on there I only tend to do around 75mph.

Everyone who drives should be made to take a regular eye test though, my eyesight was poor at 24 and I had to wear contact lenses, age isn’t always the determining factor with eyesight.

A health and medication check should be done on all drivers over 50 but re testing is just nonsense in my opinion unless someone has been involved in a serious incident.

Indeed, most of the knobs around here driving like tw@ts are clearly under 25!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Indeed, most of the knobs around here driving like tw@ts are clearly under 25!
    Too true!

I'm certainly a better driver now in my sixties than I was in my thirties despite declining eyesight (corrected by glasses) but I think there is a genuine issue around older drivers failing to acknowledge their declining abilities to drive (e.g. slower reaction times and cognitive abilities).

As it stands, anyone who has health issues that impact upon their ability to drive has a legal responsibility to take corrective action and inform DVLA but, as this is virtually impossible to enforce ( and, as such, is almost a voluntary action to comply with) many potentially dangerous drivers remain behind the wheel. This is particularly true of elderly drivers for whom the possibility of having to stop driving after so many years is understandably seen by them as at yet another restriction on their independence that age brings. Until more regular medical "fit for driving" tests are made compulsory for older drivers (not necessarily full re-tests) the situation won't improve. My own dad is now 90 but whilst having come to terms with the fact that he no longer feels safe himself driving at night or on longer journeys or on busier roads, he has been loathe to give up driving completely even if the car is rarely used now except for really short journeys on roads he knows well. Conversations with him around this are undeniably difficult but compulsory "fit for driving" tests
    would help take some of the personal sting out of the issue and force compliance. Even five years ago it wasn't such an issue but recently he has become increasingly frail if still thankfully quite fit for his age. Luckily, he now seems to be coming around to accepting the fact that he shouldn't drive and that the money saved on not having a car can be put towards taxi fares instead. The expense of having to use taxis does, however, highlight the need for far better public transport !

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I read news today that someone has petitioned Parliament to try to get enough support for the 65’s and over to be retested.

Maybe someone could petition for re tests of everyone aged between 17 and 30 because most of the terrible driving I see is from this sort of age demographic!?

I’ll readily admit that at 62 I’m not as sharp as I used to be but I’ve still avoided a couple of terrible potential crashes this year thanks to my reflexes.

I’m a much steadier, thoughtful and slower driver than I used to be, I very much still to speed limits on everything other than the motorways these days and even on there I only tend to do around 75mph.

Everyone who drives should be made to take a regular eye test though, my eyesight was poor at 24 and I had to wear contact lenses, age isn’t always the determining factor with eyesight.

A health and medication check should be done on all drivers over 50 but re testing is just nonsense in my opinion unless someone has been involved in a serious incident.
    I have to agree that younger drivers cab more problimatic drivers. I know cause I use to tear around in my youth on The Isle of Wight. Thankfully nevr had an accident.
    Speed is the biggest danger and I am no longer in any hurry in life. Ihave never been fond of driving anyway. But I do think that moaat older driver tend to drive slower and perhaps are involved in less accidents but I have no figures to prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    I have to agree that younger drivers cab more problimatic drivers. I know cause I use to tear around in my youth on The Isle of Wight. Thankfully nevr had an accident.
    Speed is the biggest danger and I am no longer in any hurry in life. Ihave never been fond of driving anyway. But I do think that moaat older driver tend to drive slower and perhaps are involved in less accidents but I have no figures to prove that.
    My understanding is that speed remains the biggest factor in road accidents --and fatalities- but driving too slowly or being too hesitant (more likely amongst elderly drivers) can also cause accidents whether, for example, these are caused by coming out of junctions without proper awareness or by driving too far below the speed limit leading to impatience of those behind who are tempted to over take (a properly executed manoeuvre too evidently lost on many drivers these days!)

With an ageing population there are bound to be more elderly drivers on our roads and whilst I'm pretty confident that going too fast is not a major factor in accidents they are involved in, rising insurance premiums may suggest that they are involved in more minor accidents.

My wife tests my driving every time we go out , I only got 2 moinors yesterday .
    Coming back from the match on Tuesday , Lisa didn't go but she had a tracker on Reece's phone and she dobbed me in to my telling I was doing 33mph down Holloway bank .
    my wife said she is going to put a tracker on my phone ,

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    My understanding is that speed remains the biggest factor in road accidents --and fatalities- but driving too slowly or being too hesitant (more likely amongst elderly drivers) can also cause accidents whether, for example, these are caused by coming out of junctions without proper awareness or by driving too far below the speed limit leading to impatience of those behind who are tempted to over take (a properly executed manoeuvre too evidently lost on many drivers these days!)

With an ageing population there are bound to be more elderly drivers on our roads and whilst I'm pretty confident that going too fast is not a major factor in accidents they are involved in, rising insurance premiums may suggest that they are involved in more minor accidents.
    How many times do you see or hear of a fatal accident being caused by an older driver compared to a younger driver?

Back in 1981, my wife’s brother John killed himsflf ( aged 17 ) and put some girl he’d met literally for the first time minutes earlier, in a wheelchair for life after crashing his minivan on a country lane.

Kets and a few other locals will know Wassell Grove, right by Old Halesownian’s rugby club, 43 years later you can still see the scars on the oak tree he hit.

I drove like an idiot in my ****s and 20’s and even well after that but I now take a lot of care and have gone quite a long time without a speeding ticket.

I read with interest that there’s a massive backlog in driving tests for our younger hopefuls due to a lack of examiners, I think we can breath easy, our governments haven’t the wit to organise this particular p I s s up in a brewery.

I wonder how many on here will, like myself, admit they’d probably fail the theory exam?

I’m pretty sure I would.

However, that doesn’t limit my/our actual driving ability and the ability to control a car safely.

I’d rather have a 70 year old heart surgeon who’s been doing the job for 40 years but who hasn’t read the manual recently than the 30 year old surgeon just out of medical school.

You get my drift I assume?

Another petition to add to the stress we already have. Imagine losing your license 2 years before retirement.

If they insist on removing just a million of over 65's off the road, then how are they to replace fuel tax, road tax, insurance premium tax, and vat on spare parts?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)