+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts--Barnsley-v-Derby

You’ve made a good point there Pass - physicality.
    We got undone with that at Derby.
    Hopefully that’s got sorted now in our defence.
    However - when I say more defensive in midfield - the physicality of that is a big part of it.
    IMO - when we play Phillips and Kane either side of either Connell or Russell then we haven’t enough physical presence in the middle of the park.
    Hence preferring two defensive midfielders and pushing that extra player forward into attack ie 343.

IMO - Connell and Russell are potentially a better pairing than Mowatt and Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    You’ve made a good point there Pass - physicality.
    We got undone with that at Derby.
    Hopefully that’s got sorted now in our defence.
    However - when I say more defensive in midfield - the physicality of that is a big part of it.
    IMO - when we play Phillips and Kane either side of either Connell or Russell then we haven’t enough physical presence in the middle of the park.
    Hence preferring two defensive midfielders and pushing that extra player forward into attack ie 343.

IMO - Connell and Russell are potentially a better pairing than Mowatt and Palmer.

As I said I do get weer tha coming from. If we were away at Derby I'd go with your suggestion but instead of a front 3, I'd laik Phillips in the free role behind Cole and McAtee. We are at home though so with the added height and physicality in our new look defence, I feel there's enough to cope with Derby.

There's more onus on us to win this game. Thaz also got to think about the way Derby will set up on the day, especially with them being the away side and having a significant points advantage on us. I think that they'll more than likely err on the side of caution and be happy to maintain the 6 point gap with a draw.

Paul Warne is a wily old bird with a lot of experience at this level.

With losing James Collins, his main aerial threat, I don't expect his side to be lumping high balls up for the extra height of Pines and Earl to pick off. I can see a lot of football on the floor and out wide from Derby. Fortunately Dwight Gale is probably not anyway near match fit or him and Hourihane together would cause us difficulties.

Derby have the best Goal Difference in the league and have conceded the fewest goals, 29 in 33 games, so they are well organised by Warne at the back.

I hope to be proved wrong but I am going for a Derby win.

Mendez Laing has always caused us problems I think and if Derby can feed him, he will again. We dont have the best defensive full backs so he could do some damage. Another key battle will be Connell v Hourihane in the middle of the park.

I also tipped Derby to win this one but any result wouldnt really surprise me.

Our defence looks a bit more solid with earl
    No slip ups on Saturday and I reckon we’ll pinch it 1-0
    Probably we’ll be 1-0 darn after 5 minutes and have to fight back but we’ve shown recently that we can do that
    A great tussle lies ahead and we’ll see a bit more of what we’re about
    Come on lads!

…………………..Roberts
    ……….…..Mael - Pines - Earl
    Williams - Kane - Connell - Cadden
    …………………….Phillips
    ………………McAtee - Cole

I’ve gone for a Derby win, however I think this team could do them? They have to get Oakwell rocking! Derby are not the best when going behind, first goal will be crucial.
    Russell wouldn’t get the tea lady’s job if I was in charge, tea would be cold by the time he’s got it to you…lol.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    ………………….
    Russell wouldn’t get the tea lady’s job if I was in charge, tea would be cold by the time he’s got it to you…lol.
    Russell as Mrs Overall on Acorn Antiques--

After a long time shaking and wobbling towards table, "You ordered a pass from midfield"

Bolton's win at Cambridge last night puts them six points clear of us if we are thinking of automatic promotion.

As the number of games remaining gets towards single figures it gets harder to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Bolton's win at Cambridge last night puts them six points clear of us if we are thinking of automatic promotion.

As the number of games remaining gets towards single figures it gets harder to catch up.

True SB. However, we have both Derby and Bolton to come to Oakwell. Should we beat them both then it'll be very interesting.

Personally I think the autos are just beyond us but should we beat both Derby and Bolton(a big ask I know) then it'll give those Reds players a proper shot in the arm and they might well go on a promotion winning surge.

All ifs and buts but the opportunity is certainly there. Tha nivva knows in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Earl says he’s preferred position is Centre Back, as for dropping Kane in preference for Russell absolutely no chance in my opinion.
    Obviously there’s no chance of dropping Kane.
    The suggested team that I posted was just that - my opinion of who should play and how the team should line up.

IMO - Kane will be the first name on Collins team sheet.
    Collins has built the team around Kane - as Kane plays the type of football that Collins prefers - which is of course possession football.
    Kane is a good player when playing that style.
    When Kane doesn’t play the team looks disjointed.

But that doesn’t make it right.
    Kane is good at keeping things moving - by opting for the easy pass as long as Barnsley keep possession - if that means constantly passing the ball sideways and backwards then so be it.
    Personally I don’t like tippy tappy football.

Kane would not have got into Ismael’s team.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast