+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts--Barnsley-v-Derby

Romared Match Thoughts--Barnsley-v-Derby

The players will be resting today ahead of a big week.

A win for Barnsley will take them within three points of Derby with a game in hand

A win for Derby will take them nine points clear of the Reds.

It's not season defining but will set up the task for the remainder of the season if automatic promotion is the aim.

Cambridge-v-Bolton and Oxford-v-Northampton tomorrow (Tuesday) evening to throw into the Play Off picture with Bolton to come to Oakwell next home game after Derby.

All bubbling up nicely.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 19-02-2024 at 08:41 AM.

I really fancy us against Derby this saturday , I suspect it will be a tight low scoring affair but like last season when we played them it is once again a huge match but in recent times when there is a lot at stake we usually give a good account of ourselves , lets hope we do the same again & get the 3 points.

Probably stating the obvious but I hope we come out of the traps fast and really get the Ponty End rocking. Last season the atmosphere for the Derby home game was one of the best in recent years and I think it really helped put us on that run we went on.

Our only away defeat so far this season has come at Derby where we seemed like we didn’t want to head the ball in our own box. I’m hoping that with the extra height of Earl and potentially Pines, we won’t give them as many free headers this time.

Looking forward to it!

The guy that did the main damage John Collins is out for the rest of the season.
    Not that I like to see players get long term injuries I suppose every little helps.

Meanwhile Former Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle is close to signing for League One side Derby County.
    I hope he’s been on the beach.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 19-02-2024 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    The guy that did the main damage John Collins is out for the rest of the season.
    Not that I like to see players get long term injuries I suppose every little helps.

Meanwhile Former Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle is close to signing for League One side Derby County.
    I hope he’s been on the beach.
    Did see that about Collins and thought it may help us on Saturday.

Regarding Gayle, unless he’s been playing in friendlies behind closed doors, surely he’ll be about as match fit as me. Well, maybe not quite. I suppose he has been a goalscorer in the past though.

Line up - if they are all fit to play and up to speed.

….………… Roberts
    …..…..Mael - Pines - McCart
    Williams - Russell - Connell - Earl
    ……McAtee - Cosgrove - Cole

Seal off midfield.
    Move the ball quickly to 3 strikers.

Earl is not a wing back he’s played there but and by his own admission is not quick enough so replaced by Cadden.
    Phillips for Cosgrove, McCart on bench replaced by Earl and the fast moving Russell replaced by Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Earl is not a wing back he’s played there but and by his own admission is not quick enough so replaced by Cadden.
    Phillips for Cosgrove, McCart on bench replaced by Earl and the fast moving Russell replaced by Kane.
    Clips I’ve seen of Earl and reports I’ve read about him - he’s as comfortable at wingback as he is at centre back.
    Plus his height getting forward would cause defenders all sorts of problems.

Although IMO there’s little structure to how we play - we have in recent weeks started lumping it forward from the back - totalling bypassing midfield and the wingbacks.
    If we continue to do that - arnt we better off with 3 up front fighting for the ball - especially if one of those strikers is a tall target striker such as Cosgrove ?

I’d personally play two defensive midfielders in the middle because we are often overrun with just one midfielder that can defend - and Derby are likely to play midfielders that will have the ability to overrun our midfield.
    Hence Russell and Connell playing side by side.
    Although I believe Connell is already our best player - I think we would see both players would improve if they knew they weren't in there on their own.

It's a big game this. As NerfHerder has already said, we gave Derby the game at Pride Park by not imposing ourselves in terms of defending and winning headers. I like to think that our dedenders will be more resolute and physical this Saturday.

I went to the game at their place and despite the deserved home victory, I thought Derby looked nothing special. I've seen them on Sky a couple of times too and have to say that I stand by my thoughts. What they do have is a very good league 1 manager and an abundance of experienced players.

I can see where Nudger is coming from saying play both Russell and Connell. However, I think that would be showing Derby too much respect and that would probably play right into their hands. Without the creativity and influential forward play of Herbie Kane, we might struggle to create in the final third of the pitch. We need to win this game if we have any aspirations of getting the second automatic spot. Let them worry about us would be my take. We have nowt to lose by going all out for the 3 points. We simply have to in my opinion because it will only grow the belief in the team if we get the 3 points.

We need to match them physically too. Do that and hopefully our forward play will prove too much for them.

Earl says he’s preferred position is Centre Back, as for dropping Kane in preference for Russell absolutely no chance in my opinion.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 19-02-2024 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast