+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clarets v Eagles Match Preview.

Clarets v Eagles Match Preview.

Clarets Mad - Clarets v Eagles, English Premier League Match Preview.
    Venue: Selhurst Park Stadium, White Horse Lane, London SE25 6PU.
    Kick-off – 15-00 - 24th February 2024.

Saturday brings the end of an era for former England boss Roy Hodson. The well-travelled and former Palace boss has left his post in south London due to ill-health. I am sure Burnley fans will take a collective moment to wish Roy all the best in his retirement.

The Palace chairman Steve Parish wasted no time in appointing a new coach who was at Goodison to witness the Clarets next opponent’s defensive strength and organisation. No doubt the draw at Everton will have enthused new Eagles’ boss Oliver Glasner and former Eintracht Frankfurt coach.

Burnley will unquestionably need an all-hands-on deck approach to ward off the Eagles “new manager bounce effect” on Saturday afternoon, especially after the 5-0 mauling the Clarets received from the Gunners last weekend at Turf Moor.

One’s to watch: Attacking wise Burnley were toothless against the Gunners in their last outing and like last week Wilson Odobert and Chelsea loanee David Fofana are likely to form the Clarets’ offensive threat with Zeki Amdouni fitting into a three-man attacking unit.

It is hard to see a reverse in form for the Clarets; a lack of cohesion, a familiar pattern of not scoring enough and conceding too many goals are the reason Burnley are in deep relegation trouble.

For the Eagles, Ghana forward Jordan Ayew has been a persistent thorn in the Clarets side, he thumped a superb strike into the far corner of the Everton net on Monday night and is ably abetted by strike partner Jean Philippe Mateta.

The pairing are likely to cause the Burnley defence a troublesome Saturday afternoon and the leaky Clarets defence will also be tested by former Blackburn Rovers starlet Adam Wharton who is earning rave reviews since his £22.5 million deadline day switch to south London.

Verdict: Both teams desperately need three points from this fixture, it is another veritable relegation “six-pointer” and despite the Burnley captain Josh Brownhill’s post-Arsenal media fired optimism it is difficult for me to see his team getting anything from this game. I’m going with a 3-0 home win.

Footnote: Three years ago, on February 21, 2021, was the last time I was at Selhurst Park and somewhat against the odds the Clarets came home with a 3-0 win under their belt. Two first half goals from Gudmundsson and Rodriguez followed by a second half worldy from Matty Lowton secured a dynamic three points for Sean Dyche’s team. Can Vincent Kompany repeat the trick? We live in hope.

Whatever the outcome, enjoy the game. (TEC).
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 21-02-2024 at 03:32 AM.

Worrying comment in the DT about the new Palace manager, Oliver Glasner,

"At Wolfsburg he masterminded Champions League qualification and succeeded where Erik ten Hag failed by getting the best out of Wout Weghorst"

Presumably that was the season when Weghorst was 4th top scorer in the Bundesliga, but if this guy can turn Weghorst into a goal scoring machine, the sky's the limit for Palace. Hopefully it will take him a bit of time to work his magic at Selhurst Park and he doesn't get off to a flyer on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Worrying comment in the DT about the new Palace manager, Oliver Glasner,

"At Wolfsburg he masterminded Champions League qualification and succeeded where Erik ten Hag failed by getting the best out of Wout Weghorst"

Presumably that was the season when Weghorst was 4th top scorer in the Bundesliga, but if this guy can turn Weghorst into a goal scoring machine, the sky's the limit for Palace. Hopefully it will take him a bit of time to work his magic at Selhurst Park and he doesn't get off to a flyer on Saturday.
    I thought Weghorst looked better than decent at Old Trafford, a couple of United fans I know thought they should have kept him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I thought Weghorst looked better than decent at Old Trafford, a couple of United fans I know thought they should have kept him.
    We should have kept him as I posted a lot he was better than we have and also has the work ethic - what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    We should have kept him as I posted a lot he was better than we have and also has the work ethic - what do I know.
    His ego is too big for us army88.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    His ego is too big for us army88.
    He had to go out on loan to a team playing in their top division otherwise he would not have been selected for the Netherlands World Cup Squad.
    Nobody really knows what has transpired since VK took over except for the fact that he was never going to figure for us last season.

He started just 17 matches for us and we picked up 22 points in those games which, in view of the fact that we only picked up 35 points in 38 games, is not a bad return. Perhaps he is a better player than many Burnley ans gave him credit for. Not perhaps as far as I am concerned, he does a decent job wherever he is playing,

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    He had to go out on loan to a team playing in their top division otherwise he would not have been selected for the Netherlands World Cup Squad.
    Nobody really knows what has transpired since VK took over except for the fact that he was never going to figure for us last season.

He started just 17 matches for us and we picked up 22 points in those games which, in view of the fact that we only picked up 35 points in 38 games, is not a bad return. Perhaps he is a better player than many Burnley ans gave him credit for. Not perhaps as far as I am concerned, he does a decent job wherever he is playing,
    I rate him as a player but not as a person.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)