+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LUFC.Badge

LUFC.Badge

Ok, so a rather random query after a long day.......

What does the LUFC badge signify? Why can't we have the white rose, or something significant to the City of Leeds, instead of that rather anodyne "thing" that doesn't bear any resemblance to anything?

Unless I am missing miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Ok, so a rather random query after a long day.......

What does the LUFC badge signify? Why can't we have the white rose, or something significant to the City of Leeds, instead of that rather anodyne "thing" that doesn't bear any resemblance to anything?

Unless I am missing miss something?
    I believe that a couple of reasons for the badge are.

1. The smiley face and some of the others may not have been protected from an IP perspective.

2. When Wilkinson was in charge he looked at a lot of areas of the club and one was the badge and he wanted something more akin to the badges you see in Serie A and the club went along with it.

It was really the latter aspect that resulted in the change.

I actually brought this up years ago and stated I didn't like our badge. Most people disagreed.
    I'm not overly bothered by it but feel it doesn't reflect the club as much as many other iconic club badges.
    It's unusual the amount of badges we've had over the years and maybe that's part of it. I don't see it changing again though.

Given the antipathy between scum and Leeds I would rather like the bringing back the white rose on our badge. Signifies an ancient historical symbol to Leeds.

However, Wilkinson's point is probably correct in the big picture of football. Personally, I could care less what other countries think about my badge. The only thing that matters is what the supporters think.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I believe that a couple of reasons for the badge are.

1. The smiley face and some of the others may not have been protected from an IP perspective.

2. When Wilkinson was in charge he looked at a lot of areas of the club and one was the badge and he wanted something more akin to the badges you see in Serie A and the club went along with it.

It was really the latter aspect that resulted in the change.

Funny I’d heard that years and years ago about the Italian thing. Not my favourite, more like an emblem for a (Italian)car than a football club badge.
    White Rose would be my choice. Cannot see change anytime soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by george_kaplan View Post
    Funny I’d heard that years and years ago about the Italian thing. Not my favourite, more like an emblem for a (Italian)car than a football club badge.
    White Rose would be my choice. Cannot see change anytime soon though.
    Happy with what we have compared to the near miss with the clunking fist that looked like a communist rallying call for Soviet Russia - anyone remember that debacle?

One factor that the thread overlooks is mobile phone design impact & another example of how modern tec is taking tradition out of the game.

As all club logos need to stand out on mobiles & have to work at really small 16x16 pixel size,
    its not easy to incorporate those fine older club heraldic extra details from years gone by & with added colours the worse they can look.

This clamour for simple identifiable emblems has caused many club fans in France & Italy to voice outrage - the new "J" Juventus badge/emblem is a shocker, as to is my local Nantes offering of an "N".

Once clubs represented cities & towns emblems flown on town halls but now not so much.
    The City of Leeds Owls dont really scream Leeds Utd nowadays on first glance - so all facts considered our club badge a'int a bad 'un & can be seen amongst all the sponsors garb around it via our various kit colours now on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Given the antipathy between scum and Leeds I would rather like the bringing back the white rose on our badge. Signifies an ancient historical symbol to Leeds.

However, Wilkinson's point is probably correct in the big picture of football. Personally, I could care less what other countries think about my badge. The only thing that matters is what the supporters think.
    I'd agree on the white rose, always have, always will believe that LUFC should have that front and centre, and as far as IP is concerned as long as there is adequate individuality about the eventual badge design, the use of an "instrument" such as the rose, would be entirely right and proper and very much capable of IP protection. Over to you LUFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    One factor that the thread overlooks is mobile phone design impact & another example of how modern tec is taking tradition out of the game.

As all club logos need to stand out on mobiles & have to work at really small 16x16 pixel size,
    its not easy to incorporate those fine older club heraldic extra details from years gone by & with added colours the worse they can look.

This clamour for simple identifiable emblems has caused many club fans in France & Italy to voice outrage - the new "J" Juventus badge/emblem is a shocker, as to is my local Nantes offering of an "N".

Once clubs represented cities & towns emblems flown on town halls but now not so much.
    The City of Leeds Owls dont really scream Leeds Utd nowadays on first glance - so all facts considered our club badge a'int a bad 'un & can be seen amongst all the sponsors garb around it via our various kit colours now on offer.
    Not entirely disagreeing (for once!) but take the Scum badge, it has a reasonably "complex" design but is to be seen everywhere (unfortunately) and on everyting, including mobiles.

I could see a white rose between two owls with the club acronym (or full name) in a strapline ribbon underneath as a feasible(ish) design, and large enough to be adequately rendered on mobiles etc? And should there be a change, it would give said sponsors an opportunity to generate further revenue by issuing rebranded garb?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not entirely disagreeing (for once!) but take the Scum badge, it has a reasonably "complex" design but is to be seen everywhere (unfortunately) and on everyting, including mobiles.

I could see a white rose between two owls with the club acronym (or full name) in a strapline ribbon underneath as a feasible(ish) design, and large enough to be adequately rendered on mobiles etc? And should there be a change, it would give said sponsors an opportunity to generate further revenue by issuing rebranded garb?

Mate, I’d go a white rose … LUFC across it on a blue, yellow and white background. That’s all anyone needs to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)