+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Run In

The Run In

7 Harrogate Town 32 -6 48
    8 Gillingham 33 -8 48
    9 AFC Wimbledon 33 +9 47
    10 Notts County 32 +6 47
    11 Morecambe 32 -4 47
    12 Accrington Stanley 32 +5 46
    13 Bradford City 33 +2 46
    14 Crawley Town 32 -1 46
    15 Newport County 32 -2 46
    16 Walsall 32 +2 45

Will we win fhis race?
    Can we win this race?
    If we do, we will be in the play offs.
    If we fall short, we probably won’t.
    If we can’t win beat this group of teams we don’t deserve to have that Wembley dream.
    We have 8 home & 6 away.
    Only 1 team has a better goal difference.
    Last edited by 1955pie; 23-02-2024 at 01:11 AM.

I looked through and I reckon we will pick up 24 more points from the remaining games.

Putting us on 71 points. I think you will need 73 / 74 points to make the playoffs.

Whilst all the really big teams are out of the way other than Stockport at home ( who are having a mare at the moment) we have to play 6 opf the 9 teams we are competing with so it is largely in our own hands but I don't think we will be quite good enough. I hope I am wrong. I think we will finish 8th or 9th.

There's nobody I fear on that list. I know the league table doesn't lie and all that, but I still feel like we're a better team than Harrogate, for example. With a bit of luck and momentum (two things we've been without these last few months), I could see us putting a run together.

I think we'll do OK for the remainder and that it'll come down to the last day. Don't think we're good enough yet to get through the playoffs, but it'll be a fun ride whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    There's nobody I fear on that list. I know the league table doesn't lie and all that, but I still feel like we're a better team than Harrogate, for example. With a bit of luck and momentum (two things we've been without these last few months), I could see us putting a run together.

I think we'll do OK for the remainder and that it'll come down to the last day. Don't think we're good enough yet to get through the playoffs, but it'll be a fun ride whatever happens.
    Yeah I do not feel any pressure to get in the playoffs to be honest. It would be weird not being in the playoffs though the only season in recent memoryu we weren't in them we got relegated!

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Yeah I do not feel any pressure to get in the playoffs to be honest. It would be weird not being in the playoffs though the only season in recent memoryu we weren't in them we got relegated!
    Same here. There's no urgent rush to get promoted. No 5-year plan to achieve. Just year-on-year improvements on and off the pitch. Making the playoffs would be a huge bonus, and I'd be well up for it, but I think even if we finish top half, that's a decent return to L2.

Next season is a different matter, however, and I expect us to mount a more serious challenge.

Same here. There's no urgent rush to get promoted. No 5-year plan to achieve. Just year-on-year improvements on and off the pitch. Making the playoffs would be a huge bonus, and I'd be well up for it, but I think even if we finish top half, that's a decent return to L2.

Next season is a different matter, however, and I expect us to mount a more serious challenge.
    If we don’t at least win this mini-league I would suggest that our lack of form will considerably reduce the saleable value of our main assets ( Macca especially ).
    Both Macca and Jodi deserve to be playing at a considerably higher level and I think they will be next year, whether we go up or not.
    We need to play well enough to reach the play offs in order to maximise their value.

Agree but I think we will need to hang on to Langstaff and Jones for that to happen. And that is not likely. Although with the money we want for Langstaff and the fact he does go missing against the better sides I simply cannot see any decent championship sides coming in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Agree but I think we will need to hang on to Langstaff and Jones for that to happen. And that is not likely. Although with the money we want for Langstaff and the fact he does go missing against the better sides I simply cannot see any decent championship sides coming in for him.
    If we sell Langstaff, we'll be able to afford some of the best strikers at this level to replace him. Jones I think is completely irreplaceable, but we'll be able to get someone in who's well above average if he leaves.

It's going to be a tough run in and I wouldn't like to say if we can make the play offs. We're still very inconsistant results wise but hopefully that'll change.

If we sold Langstaff and Jones then we'd be financially in a good position to bring quality in. For both though it's been our style of play that has made them successful here. Langstaff does go missing at times when we're not at our games. I guess it depends on whether he wants to play regular or have a bigger bank balance and sit on the bench for periods. Jones has another year left and he loves being close to his family as they were there for him when he was going through all his injuries and his career looked doomed. So maybe he'll stay until his contract ends as we're looking after him well. That may not be the case elsewhere.

If we sell Langstaff, we'll be able to afford some of the best strikers at this level to replace him. Jones I think is completely irreplaceable, but we'll be able to get someone in who's well above average if he leaves.
    Would sooner nobody left and from what I can tell, which is of course extremely limited when we have made money from sales rather than that money all being made available for new players the Brothers have simply invested less. We must have made a very tidy sum from Luke Williams but I think the only player we paid a fee for was Jatta. Plus gates are way up. This is not criticism by the way just an observation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast