+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postman Pete

Postman Pete

Did you watch Royal Mail: Where’s my post? last night on bbc1 and what’s your thoughts on it decline over the year?

It’s obvious that the Royal Mail is concentrating on its parcel delivery service rather than shoving letters through letterboxes due to the increased competition from Amazon and other courier services so will the humble letter one day be a thing of the past?

Last year I sent a tasteful and expensive dog calendar to West Hampstead and it took nearly a month to get there and that was first class mail so where the hell did it get to in that time,I also sent a condolence card to bdb and I think that took a good couple of weeks to get there to the point that I thought it had been lost,to add insult to injury the Post Office made a false allegation that the stamps was forgeries (which they wasn’t) and bdb had to pay an additional £2.50 for his sympathy card

Tbf I realise that the majority of the problems aren’t down to you but what’s your thought anyway and are you glad to be out?

can i ask a question?

Of course,but you may not get an answer

Didn't see it but its obvious the post office decline started when i retired 6 years ago,on a serious note i couldn't wait to finish after 34 years of thick managers who were promoted on seniorority rather than suitability.
    I think the letters decline started when they started to let companys like TNT cherry pick letter delivery in big cities and letting them take the rural letters they didn't want to deliver back to royal mail to deliver for a pittance.

The Post Office are trying to change the six day week delivery service for letters to just three days a week,I don’t see how this can help if they can’t deliver letters on time six days a week,maybe it’s just a way of blurring the statistics and btw Pete,it’s no coincidence that standards started dropping six years ago 😉

Quote Originally Posted by SiennaMercado View Post
    can i ask a question?
    I guess he must have googled the answer

Had an email yesterday saying that a parcel that I had ordered was being delivered by Royal Mail between 8am and 12 so I dragged myself out of bed at 7am, it’s still not turned up

That's poor Chalkey,thought a little bit more as to why they lose so much money and when I started in 1984 we used to make up 2 sometimes 3 bags on a busy day with letters and packets then we were taken by minibus to our starting point with bag number 1 then the other bags were dropped off at various points along the route (usually a shop or a customer's porch for which they received a fee) at the end of the first delivery we had to get back to the sorting office by public bus who we had an agreement with for free travel during working hours,once back at the office it was breakfast time then out for the second delivery which was only a handful of letters so rather than relying on busses most posties delivered them in the car which managers turned a blind eye to,nowadays it seems royal mail have a vehicle for every 2 workers,can you imagine the annual bill for buying,servicing and curling all the vehicles they own

Literally delivered just now (6pm) what a waste of a day,saw no point in having it out with the postie as it probably not his fault
    I can remember postmen travelling on buses back in the day Pete with their uniforms on and bag over their shoulder,I didn’t realise that they was going to collect a second delivery just thought that they was going home,long gone are the days of a 8am delivery followed by a second 11am delivery,my postman has one of those electric trolly things but instead of walking up the road delivering the odd house numbers first then heading back down to do the evens he zig zaggs across the road which seems pointless to me,do they have to sort the letters out themselves or does somebody do it for them because if it was me I would be having words with the sorters

In 1983 we had a grey itchy uniform, then it went to blue & shirts if you wanted with what looked like a Spanish flag logo on them.. your moaning about a late letter… I used to leave the Mcr Central DO at about 7am to trek a few miles to deliver post to ungrateful people like you… where’s me Giro??? wtf.. I only deliver stuff 🤷*♂️😀

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)