+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Sutton United FC 27.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Posters should be on Jones' back for that goal like they would've been if it was Cameron
    Jones should have done more to get there first and put the ball out, but where was Cameron? I've watched the replay and he was standing in the middle of the box marking nobody. One of their players gets in front of him for a near post cross and he leaves a wing back to deal with the far post cross. Basically, he's just hoping the ball comes to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysirrelsmassivetooth View Post
    County played well against Mansfield by only conceding one goal.
    They've conceded 9 this season against the bottom of the league, one game of which Maynard wasn't the manager.
    So a four goal margin in August, and only one last night.
    I'd class that as an improvement.
    Not sure if this has been picked up further on but the game in August we were a man down and had a penalty against us in the opening 15/20 minutes away from home in their first game together. The commentator said that only 4 or something of Sutton's 11 that day were starting last night.

They have since proven time and again how poor a side they are and yet they've bloodied our nose again, on our own patch.

Sutton's third goal was fortunate for us. Cameron blocked it from going in with his arm. He could've walked and they scored anyway. They've also missed a glaring header that was embarrassing for a professional footballer to miss.

It's not like they sneaked it either - only they looked like scoring at 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Jones should have done more to get there first and put the ball out, but where was Cameron? I've watched the replay and he was standing in the middle of the box marking nobody. One of their players gets in front of him for a near post cross and he leaves a wing back to deal with the far post cross. Basically, he's just hoping the ball comes to him.
    I know Ryan Jackson is Sutton's right-back and it was JJ's job to track his run.
    I'm probably not going to watch the replay to see where anyone else was for that.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I know Ryan Jackson is Sutton's right-back and it was JJ's job to track his run.
    I'm probably not going to watch the replay to see where anyone else was for that.
    Well I've just watched it again in slow-mo for you. Probably be slated by others for having a dig at Nemane, I know he isn't a defender but, if he had got some grass on his backside he could have stopped the player going down the line and if he had moved faster than his normal trot, and not stopped to look when the player cut back between Warner and Robbo he would have had a really good chance to stop the cross. The interesting thing when you watch it in slow-mo is it really does look like their player miskicked the ball sideways and it goes in off JJ's foot.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    We were unknown last season even more so as LW had never managed us.

But lets play your game then we were sat 6th when he left so only 5/23 were better than us now I wouldnt call that getting found out.

LW is now in the championship and we have a guy who wont get a club like us again.

Levels always levels in sport and what we had before is miles better than what we have now.
    But we were top at one stage...And left us in 6th place whilst in a slump..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    But we were top at one stage...And left us in 6th place whilst in a slump..
    I'd take a slump to 6th place over a slump to 14th place!

To be honest, i cant see where the next 3 points are going to come from after that shower of shyte.. The players look totally disconnected as to what they are suppose to be doing. I was more than happy to see if this guy could make the step up, but any hope of that disappeared on Tuesday.. Its just a good job that we got the points in the bag..

That’s merely where we were heading, though. Maynard hasn’t done anything to arrest the slide and the jury is obviously well out on him, but this had been coming. Last night was awful but I still think our two worst performances of the season were Walsall and Harrogate just before Christmas, both absolutely grim fare.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    To be honest, i cant see where the next 3 points are going to come from after that shower of shyte.. The players look totally disconnected as to what they are suppose to be doing.
    What happened after we got back to 3-3 was a real concern. When we should have been going all out for the winner, we were totally bossed at home by the worst team in the division. It was like we'd thrown in the towel, the lack of fight was alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    That’s merely where we were heading, though. Maynard hasn’t done anything to arrest the slide and the jury is obviously well out on him, but this had been coming. Last night was awful but I still think our two worst performances of the season were Walsall and Harrogate just before Christmas, both absolutely grim fare.
    Agree, I think 2nd half v Walsall was worst 45 mins of football I've seen this season, worse than last night.
    SM was the continuity candidate and we have continuity. Like for like his results are only one different from LW (Gillingham) who back then had the luxury of Palmer.
    It's far too early to make any judgement based on results. Yes we were top under LW, briefly, but the table now tells us that it was wins against all the crap teams that put us there.
    Nothing particularly has changed for me since the middle of October. We are inconsistent, not just between games but actually in games. The way we play is still a high-stakes 'you score x, we'll score x+1'.

The players we have available are largely the same. The same risks and frailties of the system. Why would the outcomes be any different?

The only difference is that LW was stubborn in his approach, plan B was plan A but better.
    SM is at least willing to change it if it's not working, maybe a bit too readily. Either way, there is only so much anyone can do with this squad which isn't going to change short term.
    St Neil of Warnock sounds like he's got a similar set of problems at Aberdeen and he's made no impact so far.

Some match specific observations. I think there's a ? over our fitness. As in previous games, I thought we were good first half, we should have been out of sight by HT, we weren't due to individual clangers and a lack of clinical edge in/around the box. Our second half drop off then bit us hard.

Some people saying it's criminal to move Macca out of the No.9 position. Well ok but that means Jatta purchase was pointless because he looks every bit like a shoulder-of-the-last-man, get in behind and score striker. If we use him like that he could be a right handful, but instead we say 'oh here comes the big lad, let's hoof it up to him and see if he can work a miracle'. Nope.

That's enough now. Bedtime.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast