+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Give the manager more time

Along with 'give him more time' comes the citing of Alex Feguson and his slow start at Man United. They gave him more time so SM, Fullarton or whoever should get more time and they will inevitably turn it round. Of course, SAF had already broken the Celtic/Rangers stanglehold of Scottish football and even won a European trophy at Aberdeen, whereas SM took Wealdstone to 13th in the NL.

Someone told me we did have time to let things drift, but you have to say, if we didn't have the points on the board, relegation would be a distinct possibility. I was also told that saying downward momentum is hard to reverse was a cliche, but it is also a fact as we well know from our recent history.

Notts need to salvage what they can from this situation. Robertson may have been a decent signing and next season we get Palmer back. But slipping to 20th or so (not far to go) would destroy confidence in the club and put us at risk of a poor start next year. The Warnock boat has sailed but at least get a competent League 2 manager in to stabilise things.

I think it is clear, he is a beaten man. He no doubt is a nice man, but he shouldn't be managing our club. He shouldn't have been appointed and needs replacing quickly with somebody with professional experience. Tonight was an embarrassing **** show. Sorry to all the rose tinted glasses guys, someone needs to come in who can keep us in the League. We have been let down by recruitment for players and coaches. It obviously isn't good enough and isn't working. Not😄😄 now, is it?

There isn't really a right or wrong answer to the "give the manager more time" question. If we do and he's pants then bad news if we do and he's great in the long run then good news. If we don't then we will never know and we go back to managerial merry go round. I think we have to give him until the end of the season personally but I do concede that there are valid reasons to be quite concerned. However in times of crisis you need calm heads. Fortunately we have 2 of those running the joint.

14th Notts County P34 W14 D5 L15 F69 A66 +3 Pts47. (Look out below!!!)

As nice a guy that SM seems ,i think everybody knows he will not turn this round.He will get a decent pay off ,but please do this tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    He might score 30-40 goals but to stop clubs buying him maybe we chuck him at LB so he looks bad ??? Clever 🤣🤣
    Suspect he'll do better than the current regular.

Incidentally anyone who thinks that Sam Austin is better than JB must see things different to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    As nice a guy that SM seems ,i think everybody knows he will not turn this round.He will get a decent pay off ,but please do this tomorrow morning.
    Agree, he should go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    There isn't really a right or wrong answer to the "give the manager more time" question. If we do and he's pants then bad news if we do and he's great in the long run then good news. If we don't then we will never know and we go back to managerial merry go round. I think we have to give him until the end of the season personally but I do concede that there are valid reasons to be quite concerned. However in times of crisis you need calm heads. Fortunately we have 2 of those running the joint.
    I'm not drawing any firm conclusions about Stuart Maynard yet.

There's obviously no question he's had a poor start, but I agree with those who say this decline in form had already started before he arrived, and it's at least partly a personnel matter even if there need to be tactical changes too. The recent tough run of fixtures has brutally exposed weaknesses that were already there, and the confidence of the whole team is now low, which itself influences results.

I think the basic fact is that some of the players who did so well taking us to promotion are now struggling at the higher level and will have to make way for better equipped replacements like Crowley and Robertson (although the obvious weakest area is central defence and full-back, where we'll need major upgrades).

I'm sure the owners won't be rushing to any judgements on the Head Coach yet, even though we're in a very tough run and the pressure does increase the longer it goes on. They will look for a much bigger 'sample size' of results, being data-led folk. Maynard's best approach will be to treat this as an opportunity rather than a threat, to try to assemble a team from current resources that can at least stop conceding so many goals, and then wait some significant upgrades on the defensive side of the ball before next season.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    He can’t be blamed for the nature of the goals conceded tonight IMO, just basket case individual errors again.

But when we got it back to 3-3 he then decides it’s a great idea to needlessly change formation (again), move Nemane to right back (again) when he was having a half-decent game and Langstaff out to left wing (again). We then created nothing for the remaining 25 minutes. So while it’s way too soon to call for his head, that side of it is on him. It really isn’t clever to be changing your formation every single match, however much you think it shows great tactical flexibility.
    He can be blamed if he isn't playing the players to their strengths.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast