+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Sutton (home)

Match ratings v Sutton (home)

Ashby Hammond - 5 - when he first came in I liked how comfortable he was with his feet and his good distribution. Now seems to go long a lot, especially after Jatta came on, which didn't work tonight. Doesn't make many saves. Most notable moments were parrying a ball out for a goal to them (good save) and a mix up with Baldwin for a high ball which led to a corner which led to a goal for them. Not as keen as I was.

Cameron - 5 - started the match with a determined surge forward, can't remember much after that. Often seems to me marking 10 yards of space when goals go in, although that could be a zonal marking thing.

Baldwin - 4 - did a brainfart at a really bad time. Wish he would have the odd shot now and then.

Warner - 5 - kind of OK until his injury. I think his physique is a red herring though, he's big but he's not a rugged centre half.

Rawlinson (sub) - 4 - kind of made sense to bring him on against their big lump but he ended up making their big lump look like David Silva for one of their goals. I would say car crash but it was more like watching the Exxon Valdez exhibiting a slightly tighter turning circle than the MSC Costa Concordia.

JoB - 6.5 - was a bit worried to see him in the XI but he played well. With him we lose a bit of control but gain urgency and the impulse to drive forward.
    Robertson - 6 - didn't stand out as much as in recent games but played well IMO.

Jones - 5 - quite anonymous apart from the assist and got caught out for their first goal. A rare off night.

Nemane - 6 - seemed to be playing with a bit more grit than usual both attacking and defending wise.

Bostock (sub) - 5 - didn't do anything memorable and our general malaise descended about the time he came on. Not good news for him that he is being outperformed by JoB currently.

Crowley - 7 - back to his early season form. Played very well and two very different but equally well taken goals.

Austin - 4.5 - I thought a few good attacking moves broke down with him and he missed a very good headed chance. Hope I'm not being harsh on him as I like him (a solid citizen, as Big Ron used to say) but don't think he is cut out for L2.

Langstaff - 5.5 - good penalty and maximum effort of course, but he is missing one good chance a game lately and it is costing us. Blazed into the Kop when through with the keeper to beat.

Jatta (sub) - 5 - Ran around and tried but didn't accomplish much. We seem to be using him as a target man and I think he is more of a running onto the ball kind of forward. Presumably he signed for us as a winning team playing good football and for the entire time he has been on the pitch he's been battling for fight balls lonned from the back. Must be wondering what he has walked into.

Maynard - that result will have swayed a few people who were giving him the benefit of the doubt due to difficulty of opposition until now. Personally I don't see that much different under SM from when LW was in charge other than our chances that were going in aren't, and opposition ones that weren't, are. We did and still do struggle against man marking and massed ranks, however tonight there was space to play and create and we should have won. Testing times, and if he was in any doubt that he has a job on his hands, losing to Sutton at home will make everything clear. We will see if he is up to the job of resurrecting a play off bid and sorting out a defence that is in all kinds of trouble.

Bracegirdle - his cricket commentary style is probably great for cricket but awful for a football match. He winds me up even when I'm watching the video because what he says often bears no relation to what is happening on the pitch. If he is telling you about what his wife watched on TV last night you might think there's a lull in play bit there's actually tons of stuff happening. Must be awful trying to follow the action with audio only.

Forgot Crowley's in-area leg dangle which came at a really bad time. Probably worth knocking a point or half off for that but he runs a lot and was probably tired and I can't edit it so will leave him at 7.

Looks about right to me. I'd knock Macca down half a point as thought he was very average again and his misses are starting to pile more pressure on our already beleaguered defence. He's missed a hatful of very good chances in recent weeks (I know he can't score them all before anyone says it). His chance first half and Austin's miss second half proved to be very costly.

I heard on the radio that 9 of Sutton's total of 40 goals have come against us.

What's gone so badly wrong? The positivity and good will has drained from the crowd and I'm starting to have that 2019 feeling going down to the Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ashby Hammond - 5 - when he first came in I liked how comfortable he was with his feet and his good distribution. Now seems to go long a lot, especially after Jatta came on, which didn't work tonight. Doesn't make many saves. Most notable moments were parrying a ball out for a goal to them (good save) and a mix up with Baldwin for a high ball which led to a corner which led to a goal for them. Not as keen as I was.

Cameron - 5 - started the match with a determined surge forward, can't remember much after that. Often seems to me marking 10 yards of space when goals go in, although that could be a zonal marking thing.

Baldwin - 4 - did a brainfart at a really bad time. Wish he would have the odd shot now and then.

Warner - 5 - kind of OK until his injury. I think his physique is a red herring though, he's big but he's not a rugged centre half.

Rawlinson (sub) - 4 - kind of made sense to bring him on against their big lump but he ended up making their big lump look like David Silva for one of their goals. I would say car crash but it was more like watching the Exxon Valdez exhibiting a slightly tighter turning circle than the MSC Costa Concordia.

JoB - 6.5 - was a bit worried to see him in the XI but he played well. With him we lose a bit of control but gain urgency and the impulse to drive forward.
    Robertson - 6 - didn't stand out as much as in recent games but played well IMO.

Jones - 5 - quite anonymous apart from the assist and got caught out for their first goal. A rare off night.

Nemane - 6 - seemed to be playing with a bit more grit than usual both attacking and defending wise.

Bostock (sub) - 5 - didn't do anything memorable and our general malaise descended about the time he came on. Not good news for him that he is being outperformed by JoB currently.

Crowley - 7 - back to his early season form. Played very well and two very different but equally well taken goals.

Austin - 4.5 - I thought a few good attacking moves broke down with him and he missed a very good headed chance. Hope I'm not being harsh on him as I like him (a solid citizen, as Big Ron used to say) but don't think he is cut out for L2.

Langstaff - 5.5 - good penalty and maximum effort of course, but he is missing one good chance a game lately and it is costing us. Blazed into the Kop when through with the keeper to beat.

Jatta (sub) - 5 - Ran around and tried but didn't accomplish much. We seem to be using him as a target man and I think he is more of a running onto the ball kind of forward. Presumably he signed for us as a winning team playing good football and for the entire time he has been on the pitch he's been battling for fight balls lonned from the back. Must be wondering what he has walked into.

Maynard - that result will have swayed a few people who were giving him the benefit of the doubt due to difficulty of opposition until now. Personally I don't see that much different under SM from when LW was in charge other than our chances that were going in aren't, and opposition ones that weren't, are. We did and still do struggle against man marking and massed ranks, however tonight there was space to play and create and we should have won. Testing times, and if he was in any doubt that he has a job on his hands, losing to Sutton at home will make everything clear. We will see if he is up to the job of resurrecting a play off bid and sorting out a defence that is in all kinds of trouble.

Bracegirdle - his cricket commentary style is probably great for cricket but awful for a football match. He winds me up even when I'm watching the video because what he says often bears no relation to what is happening on the pitch. If he is telling you about what his wife watched on TV last night you might think there's a lull in play bit there's actually tons of stuff happening. Must be awful trying to follow the action with audio only.
    A good set of ratings/comments. Think these are all fair, maybe .5 more for Nemane who was much more positive and threatening than in recent months…before then being moved back to full back reasons unknown. Also thought Austin was ok overall but miss at 2-2 was a potential turning point (who knows, I’m sure we’d have found a way to concede somehow).

O’Brien being our best midfielder is a credit to him, but damning on the club. Bad call to take him off. Also seems illogical we’ve got Brooks excelling on-loan at Rochdale when all three of our other keeping options have failed to convince this season.

Ashby-Hammond 2 Dreadful kicking, pushing shots back into the danger area and rooted to his line
    Nemane 6
    Warner 5
    Baldwin 4
    Cameron 4
    Jones 5
    Crowley 7
    O'Brien 6
    Robertson 6
    Austin 6
    Langstaff 4

Bostock 4
    Jatta 5
    Rawlinson 4

Maynard 3 I've tried to defend him but why does he put Jones on the right with Nemane, they just get in each other's way and there's no width on the left then.

Hammond.. 5... Tried hard but no cover in front of him...doesn't command his box as well as he should
    Cameron.. . 5.. Can't defend so tries to be a left winger at times... doesn't do his job so should be dropped
    Baldwin...4.. Would be a 1 only for I like the fella, the usual brain fart leading to a goal but the way he kicked the ball at the kop and gestured to them was uncalled for...needs a good slap
    Warner... 3.. Offers very little in his brief appearances on the pitch, doesn't look up for it at all
    Robertson... 6..Tidy on the ball, did his best but not up to his usual high standards
    JOB... 6.. Only player to put in a serious shift in his time on the pitch...which is alarming to have to play somebody of his age in an almost must win game
    Jones...5.. Rare off day, rubbish for their first goal but another assist and should of had another except for a shocking miss from Austin
    Nemane...6 for the first half and 4 for the second should tell you what impact he had in the second...
    Crowley..5 .. scored twice but gave away a completely needless pen...his petulance after scoring the first was totally uncalled for, needs to wake up a bit and realise he is not immune to criticism
    Austin...3.. Just don't see a footballer in him, falls to pieces like a jigsaw anywhere near the opposition goal, miss was scandalous but he hasn't had a good Notts game in a very long time...shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11 on that showing
    Landstaff... 5. For effort alone, good pen and fluffed his only other real chance which would probably
    of swung the game our way...moving him to the wing is a stackable offense

Subs..
    Rawlinson..3.. Evostick premier league player that plays in league 2 on this showing, just a complete disaster
    Bostock..3.. Didn't even know he was on the field, did absolutely nothing
    Jatta.. 4.. Same as above, only reason I remembered he was playing was when he got booked

Maynard..1.. Out of his debt, changes shape when we are on top and never in the game after that...can't see him lasting much longer

LAH 4 - Poor once again, basically Aiden Stone 2.0. Doesn't communicate, his distribution is getting worse game after game and he also seems glued to his line.

Cameron 3 - Not even gonna bother talking about the guy; being club "captain", putting in that sort of performance week after week and then having the audacity to have a go at fans afterwards says all that needs to be said.

Baldwin 2 - Massively at fault for their second, gave the corner away that led to their penalty cheaply and if that wasn't enough he decides to give Harry Smith a run for his money as the biggest prick of the evening by not only rifling the ball at the fans who contribute towards his livelihood, but also insulting them when they dare to complain about it. Disgraceful.

Warner 5 - Did alright until his injury and looked pretty devastated when he came off, but as others have said, his height disguises the fact that he is not that physically inclined at all.

Jones 4 - During another pretty anonymous display, he put in one good ball all night and was far too weak for their first goal.

Nemane 5 - Actually beat his man a few times but his end product was atrocious, and allowed their player to cross the ball in with impunity for their first.

JOB 6.5 - Notts' best player tonight in my eyes, we were completely inept after he was replaced. He played some decent balls forward and got stuck in, its just a shame he is not 10 years younger.

Robertson 6 - Not as good as he has been recently but still a reasonable performance.

Austin 5 - More energy than McGoldrick but does not seem to to have the technical ability to make things happen at this level, plus he missed a massive chance which may well have changed the game.

Crowley 5.5 - Scored two but gave away a stupid penalty and didn't look arsed afterwards. Plus his celebrations after his first goal were just another instance of disrespect from Notts players towards their own fans tonight.

Langstaff 5 - Scored a penalty, but did very little else other than miss some more chances.

Rawlinson 4 - Nowhere near good enough for League two anymore.

Jatta 5 - Didn't show anything.

Bostock 4 - We seemed to just give up entirely when he came on, get rid in the summer if he continues to put in minimum effort.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post

Enjoyed the ratings, thankfully I don’t get to hear much from Bracegirdle, but I did hear his post match with Maynard. The questioning was unreal, stuff about Slocombe being back on the bench and Warner’s injury but diddly squat about WHY ARE YOU PLAYING A BLOKE WITH 2 THOUSAND ASSISTS FROM THE LEFT ON THE RIGHT??

That’s quite apart from the fact that in the last few seasons I’ve quite enjoyed having someone covering Notts who doesn’t sound 110.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    WHY ARE YOU PLAYING A BLOKE WITH 2 THOUSAND ASSISTS FROM THE LEFT ON THE RIGHT??
    Yes. Whatever people think about Maynard's prospects more generally, that's a tactical change that needs to be scrapped immediately. Jones looks half the player on the right. He had an opportunity to attack in the very last minute tonight when we desperately needed an end product, but running with the ball down the right you could tell he felt and looked completely awkward, like a shopping trolley trying to move forward with a wonky wheel. He's got to play from left.

Bostock should not be anywhere near the starting eleven, or bench for that matter.. If we lose on Saturday then Maynard has to go..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast