+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: £16 fags…

£16 fags…

Never been a smoker myself but if that’s what people want to do then why shouldn’t they do is my thought on the matter,so with the budget being next Wednesday it looks like the chancellor is going to hit fag smokers with yer another tax hike which will take the price to around £16 or 20 which is basically a quid a fag,are smokers an easy target and forceing them to seek illegally imported cigs from smugglers as I know that I would if I smoked,why doesn’t the government just drop the tax on cigs to a reasonable rate therefore stopping the smuggling market,there would also be a huge upturn in the amount sold in newsagents etc therefore getting more tax back for the government,the uk tax on must be the highest in the world,where do I apply for the chancellor’s job?
    Last edited by chaincey.ncfc; 28-02-2024 at 12:47 PM.

UK tax on fags is crazy,i used to go abroad 5/6 times a year after i retired and always brought 400 back for a mate who was delighted to give me £50 for 200,should i have felt guilty knowing fags make you ill or think i was doing him a good turn saving him over £100?

I have smoked since I was 15… awful habit & depending what kind of day I’m having average about 30-40 a day….

Uk Tax is scandalous and since brexit you can now only bring back 200 cigs per person from an EU country so 400 is classed as smuggling Pete & Customs can take them off you… When I am not able to get some smuggled ones of friends / relatives or my trips abroad, Benson & Hedges Blue are about 13 notes a pack & B&H gold nearer 17…
    By comparison:
    Blue in Italy are 5 euro a pack & the government fix the price so same anywhere
    Future son in law recently back from Senegal… Gold..£1.60 a pack… a tenth of the UK price…

B45tards our Government

Whilst looking into this topic I came across the story that the government are aiming for a smoke free Britain by 2030 which seems absurd to me,there’s absolutely no way that they are going to reach that target in six years,they also plan to make the sale of cigs legal to anymore born after 2009 which is bordering on Big Brother to me,if they want a smoke free Britain why are the hiking up the tax on vapes and the like?

Why are the government putting a tax on vape liquids,surely this must be healthy version of smoking? Why put the tax on in October 2026 and not immediately,what if the present government aren’t in power in two years time,will it still be valid?
    How did the budget affect you and are you worst off by a lot,Jack Daniels escaped unscathed though 😄

F0ok off rodent….

I am going to Northumberland at the end of the month and will be well equipped to find a Red Squirrel & will gloat about that as well

I wasn’t gloating,I feel sorry for smokers because they get hit every year in the budget and other countries tax on fags are nowhere as high

If you do spot a red squirrel in Northumberland then I will need photographic proof and certainly of a better quality than those deer ones that you showed me when you said you saw in Rochdale,if Carlisle drop down this season then I’m making a long weekend of it myself if Notts play Utd on a Saturday

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)