+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sammie Szmodics

Sammie Szmodics

Watched him for Blackburn last night and very clever in front of goal. FFS - he’s the leading goal scorer in the Championship and Blackburn are four points off the bottom three!

Sickening we have not had a clinical goal finisher since Gayle moved on. Had we a player like Szmodics for example we could be where Ipswich are and challenging for top 2!

Can’t be that difficult if Blackburn and Plymouth can have top clinical goal scorers. Love Asante but he’s not clinical in front of goal and feel for Dike but we need a replacement for him as costing us!

I think he’ll go to the Prem this summer but if there’s any possible chance he’s one we should go for.

Like him but interesting that Ipswich’s top scorer has scored the same amount of goals as Asante.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Like him but interesting that Ipswich’s top scorer has scored the same amount of goals as Asante.
    That’s because there’s collectively good players around them with both teams. I would take him over Asante and Dike immediately as would almost everyone. He’s a clinical natural goal scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    That’s because there’s collectively good players around them with both teams. I would take him over Asante and Dike immediately as would almost everyone. He’s a clinical natural goal scorer.
    I know he's having a good season, but I'm not so sure he is as clinical as you say. He's 28 years old now and he's scored 98 career goals, 24 of them have come this season. He's best previous goalscoring season was 15 in league one in 20/21 season. Last year he scored 5 goals in the championship.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. But the stats don't really back up that he's clinical. He's spent a lot of time in league 1 and 2, and not scored that many.

To be honest, most seasons we've gone up our top scorer has been around 10-15 goals (apart from the Kev Phillips season). Last time we got promoted Charlie Austin was top scorer with 11. The time before it was Brunt with 13. Asante already has 9, I'd say he's done pretty well considering without him I genuinely don't know what we'd have done for a striker this season.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I know he's having a good season, but I'm not so sure he is as clinical as you say. He's 28 years old now and he's scored 98 career goals, 24 of them have come this season. He's best previous goalscoring season was 15 in league one in 20/21 season. Last year he scored 5 goals in the championship.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. But the stats don't really back up that he's clinical. He's spent a lot of time in league 1 and 2, and not scored that many.

To be honest, most seasons we've gone up our top scorer has been around 10-15 goals (apart from the Kev Phillips season). Last time we got promoted Charlie Austin was top scorer with 11. The time before it was Brunt with 13. Asante already has 9, I'd say he's done pretty well considering without him I genuinely don't know what we'd have done for a striker this season.
    It's all a bit moot really when you consider Szmodics isn't even a striker. He's played as an attacking midfielder for the majority of his career and is enjoying a standout season.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    It's all a bit moot really when you consider Szmodics isn't even a striker. He's played as an attacking midfielder for the majority of his career and is enjoying a standout season.
    This would explain a lot. To be honest he was never really on my radar until he starting scoring goals like he has this season.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    He is. I think we do ok with goal-scorers around the team too.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

And Kanu was much better than Austin that season. Quite a few of Austin’s goals were penalties. He was generally poor in open play barring a couple of matches.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)