+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long to we bury our heads in the sand..

Quote Originally Posted by Magzer View Post
    Not all better managers get better results. It can become a lottery.
    Agreed..

I think Howe has done a great job, I really do.. I hope I eat humble pie..

But I know I won't..

I think maybe Howe takes the England job anyway.. we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    Agreed..

I think Howe has done a great job, I really do.. I hope I eat humble pie..

But I know I won't..

I think maybe Howe takes the England job anyway.. we will see
    I understand your apprehension. It's not a nice feeling going from a speedboat quality set up to trying to get a juggernaut moving again but I think of the positive aspect of many players returning and getting up to speed again.
    We badly miss Joelinton but other than him we're nearly getting back on track I think.
    Nick Pope's been a massive damaged cog in the system and no disrespect to Dubs.

Chin up Tut lad and push for positive energy.

Not all better managers get better results. It can become a lottery.
    Exactly this.
    Chelsea won their CLs with managers that were appointed mid-season.
    Zidane managed to win 3 CLs in a row. Is he that good?
    Bayern Munich won treble with interim manager who failed with Germany.
    They all were lucky enough to be at the right time at right place. Of course they’re quality managers, but the things just panned out for them - right players, favourable draws, opponents weaknesses, whatever.
    Ferguson was few games away from sacking at some point.

I believe good run and some luck can make it or break it for decent manager and put them into “top” category.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    A manager that has won something..... maybe..
    Well, I'm not interested in that.

Won something doesnt mean he will win something with the toon. I rather take my chances with Howe.

But if we're still at 10th this time next year, I will be happy to discuss it.

For some reason even under many different managers we've always seemed to be on the wrong end of massive injuries.
    Also you have to put it all into perspective with Eddie.
    What he achieved with what he had to put together was amazing. He improved many players and some by a long margin (Joelinton).

Now think what we did this season and what hand we were dealt.
    A champions league group with no mercy within it and yet we very nearly qualified from it with only a PSG robbery being the difference.

Add to that the Carabao cup exit to Chelsea with a last gasp Mudryk equaliser from a baffling mistake by Trippier but for that very nearly put us in the semi-final.
    So near yet it seems so far at this stage and yet here we are in the quarter finals of the FA cup.

Add to that the FFP walloping the governing bodies are bestowing upon us with new rules getting made to ensure we can't compete.

You know what?
    I think Eddie Howe needs commending because the expectation upon him this season is way beyond the reasonable and yet he's managing it with a very level head, even though he's likely feeling the pressure inside.

And to think of the biggest teams we've had to negotiate inside this period up until now when you consider we only have a couple of bigger teams left to play up until May.

We've been unlucky in some ways and we've been well and truly been sold down the river in many ways I think.

The season when Eddie Howe came in we were close to relegation and not only did we negotiate it, we smashed it out of the park.
    Last season of 4th which was way beyond any expectation and a massive over-achievement is a credit already banked to Eddie and staff/players.

To think we're questioning at this stage of the season and where we are in the table with a lot of injuries clearing up....not to mention a way more favourable run in, I'd say we're still on for a decent season and certainly a season where Eddie gets a free ride anyway.

A bit long winded but I don't know how to condense that.
    Brilliant summed up.

I personally do think that Howe will win something with us.

If we didn't have the ball and chain of the FFP I don't think we'd be having this conversation about Eddie Howe. Lets wait and see what pans out next season before maybe shooting ourselves in the foot.

I won’t paste Magzer’s first post again so as not to extend the thread but it’s a good one and I agree. I read somewhere that there are now 2 types of Newcastle supporter: one that wants EH gone and the other that thinks he can do no wrong. This is bolox and, as usual, there are plenty of positions between these 2 extremes. I want him to be our manager but not because he can do no wrong. He has made mistakes (all human beings do) but he has also surprised me positively many more times than any other Newcastle manager that I can remember.
    He’s turned games with changes in tactics, produced surprising results and transformed players. Some people have short memories. I don’t know what the definition of an ‘elite’ manager is but Howe is different in a positive way to the vast majority I’ve seen.
    He hasn’t one anything yet (neither have many young managers) but he has taken a club from the lowest league to the highest in fast time.
    I may change my mind later but I’m very happy with him now for the reasons mentioned and I’m excited to see what we can do with him in charge in a more normal season.
    HTL.

Conte has won a lot of trophies. Yet most clubs and certainly fans of those clubs fear bringing him in because of the money he needs to have in order to bring success, his ego and the fact that when he leaves - and he always does - he leaves most squads in a total mess. Look at Chelsea, Look at Inter, look at Spurs (with whom he won f*ck all). Same with Mourinho now.

Would I have Conte here instead of Eddie, despite Conte being a proven trophy winner? No.

So what happens when Eddie leaves? Who's going to, with this squad, win us anything more than the square root of f*ck all? No one comes to mind. "The guy at Brighton" - won nowt.

Give it time, trust the proces, have faith, let's not turn into Man City or Chelsea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I won’t paste Magzer’s first post again so as not to extend the thread but it’s a good one and I agree. I read somewhere that there are now 2 types of Newcastle supporter: one that wants EH gone and the other that thinks he can do no wrong. This is bolox and, as usual, there are plenty of positions between these 2 extremes. I want him to be our manager but not because he can do no wrong. He has made mistakes (all human beings do) but he has also surprised me positively many more times than any other Newcastle manager that I can remember.
    He’s turned games with changes in tactics, produced surprising results and transformed players. Some people have short memories. I don’t know what the definition of an ‘elite’ manager is but Howe is different in a positive way to the vast majority I’ve seen.
    He hasn’t one anything yet (neither have many young managers) but he has taken a club from the lowest league to the highest in fast time.
    I may change my mind later but I’m very happy with him now for the reasons mentioned and I’m excited to see what we can do with him in charge in a more normal season.
    HTL.
    ^^^ very much this

Any manager, especially one whose mantra is 'intensity is our identity', would have struggled this season becaise of our freakish injury list.

I think he is the man to take us forward but I'm not blind to his deficiencies. If he is backed in the window, we have better luck with injuries and he changes his tactics when our press isn't working, I think we'll win something with him.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    HTL.
    Agree with this.. but those 2 types of supporter has a third.. me

I'm in the middle, im desperate for Howe to succeed but I'm also thinking if this keeps up the saudis will not stick with him

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)