+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Meslier?

Meslier?

Brilliant performance by Leeds yesterday.

Question for those more expert than me on keepers. Did it seem that their goals were a little soft? can't help but wonder if a different championship level keeper stops those. Maybe not the second but sure seems the first and third were possibly stopped.

I feel meslier is a good shot stopper but at corners, crosses etc he’s rooted to his line, I’m still in favour of the old fashioned keeper that commanded his area and everyone knew they’d get clattered if he came for it, but I’m just showing my age.

Very hard for a goalkeeper to defend a corner nowadays .. These days attackers/defenders are allowed to push and pull each other and also block the goalkeeper from coming out to catch the ball.It must be a nightmare for them. Our keeper Trafford is a prime example of this as he is unable to come and collect balls from corners. He has earned the nickname Dracula due to his dislike of crosses. As a shot stopper he is brilliant.

100% agree with the comments from Norfolk and Alf. Combined, if there was a proper response from the footballing authorities, i.e keepers benefit from the protection they used to enjoy, the command keepers used to be famed for would return, and the attacking players would have to rethink their "bullying" tactics, which IMHO currently make set pieces and corners much less "competitive".

And I agree about Trafford too!

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    I feel meslier is a good shot stopper but at corners, crosses etc he’s rooted to his line, I’m still in favour of the old fashioned keeper that commanded his area and everyone knew they’d get clattered if he came for it, but I’m just showing my age.
    Been harping on about this for some time now.
    His near post can be a bit far away too sometimes.
    Glad someone else started a thread this time though.

Yep, the goal conceded away at Everton sticks in my mind, he was certainly well away from his near post when their right back rifled one in, completely wrong footed.

Think he is very good but has things to still work on - still very young for a keeper so should get better still.

He always seems to look less comfortable with Cooper in the team - Rodon, Ampadu and Struijk tend to pass the ball back to him more judiciously and sympathetically.

He’s a boy amongst men.
    A sheep in a pack of dogs.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)