+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest on the move?

O/T:- Forest on the move?

Anyone else seen this story about Forest and the City Council having a ruckus about the City Ground land?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-68439547

Obviously I'm no Forest fan, but still £250k a year is way too cheap for that land rent. Forest might have players on more than that a week. Not surprised the council want more considering their own debt problems. There's really no need for them to subsidise Forest. The story has clearly been put out by the Forest board to Garner sympathy and get the public on board.

If they did up sticks and move to a shiny new stadium up the M1 do you think that would be good or bad for us?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 29-02-2024 at 11:24 PM.

It's obviously a hollow threat to garner sympathy. An annual increase of £750,000 is a gnat's piss in the ocean to them. They probably pay more to a bench warmer in their bloated squad. The council have always favoured them so they will more than likely back down.

Rather a pathetic bluff from Forest. I hope the council don’t back down, but I’m sure they will. I’m surprised how long it’s taking Forest to get on with redeveloping the ground, especially as the owner wants to stick up even more horribly overpriced apartments behind the Main Stand.

My guess is that NCC are less interested in a rent increase than simply selling Forest the leasehold for a figure in £millions with a 0 at the end. They've now got permission to sell off their land to reduce the deficit and raise up to £66million.
    https://westbridgfordwire.com/nottin...operty-assets/

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Rather a pathetic bluff from Forest. I hope the council don’t back down, but I’m sure they will. I’m surprised how long it’s taking Forest to get on with redeveloping the ground, especially as the owner wants to stick up even more horribly overpriced apartments behind the Main Stand.
    The reason why it's taking so long for them to build a new Main Stand is because they need to find an alternative location for the boat club whilst the work goes on. They're also incredibly hesitant about playing in a 3 sided ground for at least a year as they think it will affect the atmosphere.

The land there must be worth a fortune. 1 million quid seems like peanuts to me as others have mentioned and that would not be for 30 odd years am I correct? They are hardly going to up sticks and spend gazillions on a new stadium over what in comparison is such a smaller amount especially as they are not an established premier league club unless they are serious about moving anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The reason why it's taking so long for them to build a new Main Stand is because they need to find an alternative location for the boat club whilst the work goes on. They're also incredibly hesitant about playing in a 3 sided ground for at least a year as they think it will affect the atmosphere.
    Doesn’t sound like they’re that committed to the idea as a long-term vision.

I see they’re ranked 14th in PL attendances, just below Sheff Utd. Even if they redevelop the Main Stand, they’ll still be nowhere near the top 10. If they want to compete at that level, they would need to build a new ground somewhere else. I suggest Devon.

I don't think Forest will ever move, but it would be great for us if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I don't think Forest will ever move, but it would be great for us if they did.
    Wouldn’t be good for The Nest unless it was at Eastcroft. It would be at least a decade away if it ever happened though.
    They are trying to use the City Councils’ difficulties to buy the land at a cut down price.

I've banged on enough about the need to have territorial definition in the past, as you do in almost every other town that has more than one club. Current gates say this is much less of an issue today, though it would add extra spice to the rivalry over time.

Maybe them threatening to leave purely for leverage could inadvertently sow seeds in people's minds and re-locating might begin to actually look like a reasonable idea which they begin to take semi-seriously.
    Eastcroft would be disastrous though, we'd become the out-of-town out-of-the-way club in that scenario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast