+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A good news story

Credit where credits due. The Stags are the best team in the division this season. Don't think they will struggle in the next one either.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Credit where credits due. The Stags are the best team in the division this season. Don't think they will struggle in the next one either.
    Yes, begrudged credit where it's due. It would make a bitter pill easier to swallow if we had got more than 8 pts out of the last 30 available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scamps View Post
    Its to easy when all you can criticise is bishop street,just shows you cant argue the fact thay were a good team i think we will cope ok in league one and the bishop street issue will be sorted out im sure meanwhile you lot continue with your delusions of superiority its quite funny and it makes your failings seem even funnier anyway must dash got a promotion party to prare
    So do you really think a dump like Mansfield is ever going to host a club of any note/stature? It’s basically taken 10 years to get Mansfield to the point of promotion this season and fair enough. I can promise you in another 10 years Notts will be far ahead of Mansfield in every respect. Enjoy your promotion but Notts are heading towards something much bigger. We know it and you know it. In the meantime maybe learn how to spell?

The problem Mansfield have is that they won't be able to increase their attendances like Lincoln have because there's simply no more room. They'll have 5,000 ST holders then about 1800 away fans which a fair chunk of League One clubs will fill and then about 1000 match by match tickets. They'll go straight back down I'm fairly certain of it.

As uncomfortable as it is, Clough has built a formidable team and I respect that. Good luck to them. However when it comes to the fans I have less time. There are some real neanderthals among their fanbase, whilst we have an element whose 'habits' are a cause for concern, Mansfield seem to have an extraordinary amount of fans who are as thick as mince.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The problem Mansfield have is that they won't be able to increase their attendances like Lincoln have because there's simply no more room. They'll have 5,000 ST holders then about 1800 away fans which a fair chunk of League One clubs will fill and then about 1000 match by match tickets.
    True, their sellout game against us only managed 8,667. If away teams bring 700-800, that instantly knocks a thousand off their maximum. Having more fans than seats is a problem we've never had, but while they're winning it's a huge problem for them. On a side note:

"S****horpe United and Chester set a new National League North attendance record of 7,511 for Saturday's 2-2 draw at Glanford Park. Aside from S****horpe's 2-0 defeat at the Deva Stadium in October, the two former Football League clubs had not played each other in almost 20 years".

That's brilliant support at level 6 that I don't think is matched anywhere in the world. I've attended games in the Portuguese equivalent of the Premier League where the crowd was 2,000 in a 5,000 capacity stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Scamps View Post
    Its to easy when all you can criticise is bishop street,just shows you cant argue the fact thay were a good team i think we will cope ok in league one and the bishop street issue will be sorted out im sure meanwhile you lot continue with your delusions of superiority its quite funny and it makes your failings seem even funnier anyway must dash got a promotion party to prare
    Before I moved overseas, Mansfield Town was my 'local' club. I'd been to Field Mill many times, albeit to watch Notts, as well as starting my football 'career' in the Chad Sunday League. I am also a massive fan of anything that ends with the name Clough and so I am happy to see how well Nigel is doing. I certainly envy the Stags for having such a brilliant manager, when I don't believe Notts have anything like that.

All that said, the town is a god awful place, many Mansfield fans are the same intellectually as a small minority of Notts fans and the ground has NEVER been a nice place to go and watch a game at. I can't point out the irony that Mansfield bring more 'fans' to watch them play at Notts than they get in their own ground. The pitch also still retains the 'field' part of 'Field Mill'.

So going back to your point, the lack of development or quality on the Bishop Street side of the ground pales into insignificance when you take into account the viewing experience is similar to watching a game of football at a ground in a war zone.

I think Stags will win the league and hold their own next season. I don't think their attendance will be a problem the likes of Luton and Bournemouth have done ok with only small crowds. It depends on what the owners will do though.

When I used to go to Field Mill in the 1980s (when they were a half decent 3rd tier outfit) their main stand put anything we had to shame, but even then they had one whole side not in use and it's now 34 years since they last survived in the 3rd tier.
    I don't dislike Stags, but as with Wrexham it's a loss to us if they go up in terms of having the big fixtures and results to look out for. There's the argument that losing those two will make it an easier division to climb out of but there's something to be said I think for having certain clubs to go up against that spur you on. The sense of being left behind is not a positive one, as we found out with Fword.

In terms of Mansfield the table never lies and they are proving to be the best team in the league at this stage. They have a habit of falling at the last hurdle though but even if that were to be the case then I still think that they will get automatic promotion.

They maybe top but they have only won four more games than us and have scored one less goal. It tells us that we have league one ready firepower and creativity to be a top side at this level. Mansfield have been able to grind out draws when they can't win and have been a tough team to beat. They have respected the point.

We are the other hand have conceded over double the amount of goals than Mansfield and that is why we have lost nine more than they have. It's the one thing to take as the big lesson learned from this season that started at Sutton away and was still going on at Sutton at home.

League One attack, National League defence. That sums up the Notts County of 23/24.

We could be serious contenders next season if we can be more tough to beat and grind out draws particularly away from home, but we will need to have defenders in the mould of Aden Flint and others. Also it relies on keeping the creativity and firepower we have, but if not then it will be even more crucial that we upgrade the defence because that could help offset any loss of Langstaff and/or Jones and the potential reduction of goals scored.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast