+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley RC Appoint Chief Executive.

Barnsley RC Appoint Chief Executive.

JON Flatman will take on the role as chief executive at Barnsley FC on a full-time basis.

Flatman was announced to be the acting chief executive when Khaled El-Ahmad left for the US in December.

It has been confirmed today that he will take on the role on a full-time basis.

Flatman joined the club as Chief Revenue Officer in January 2023.

Club chairman Neerav Parekh said: “Jon has a clear vision for how a modern football club should operate and he has driven a restructure that we believe will take the club forward in a more professional manner; as a board we are delighted that he has agreed to take the role permanently.

“His leadership over the past few months has been impressive.

“During his time as Chief Revenue Officer he was influential in both the new Oakwell lease with Barnsley Council and the partnership working with the Community Trust alongside improved and diversified commercial income.

“Since stepping into the role as CEO, the club have improved their active listening to the fan base and implemented the Fans Advisory Board and the move to Safe Standing.”

Flatman added: “To be asked to be CEO of this historic football club is an incredible honour.

“We are a club at the heart of the town and it has never been more important for us to give back to and create a future for the supporters who have stood behind us in recent years.

“There is a lot of hard work to come and there will be some new faces around the building who will work alongside Rob Zuk, Mladen Sormaz and the rest of the staff at Oakwell to help us achieve success both on and off the pitch.

“I am very honoured to have been given the support of Neerav, Jean, James and Julie Anne and I am looking forward to the challenge.”
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 01-03-2024 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Barnsley FC sorry

Comes from Rugby League I understand , he was CEO @ York City Knights previously .

Very much community based is Rugby League so I reckon he'll bring some of that to the table which hasn't always been the case with previous CEO's who were more from the globalist demographic .

Flatters and Sormzy will hopefully drive the new Barnsley to a period of unparalleled success.

Spectemur Agendo as always,

Can't be worse than the last bright young CEO arriving to a fanfare, Khaled El Ahmad, of the Hex Crypto debacle and removal of fans from West Stand seats.

Rev Preedy will be turning in his grave at the news of the launch of Barnsley Roman Catholics

He was instrumental in setting up the York City Knights Foundation which as a charity was involved in a variety of community based projects .

He also got the York City Knights ladies team off the ground and running to a decent standard in relation to the club's modest budget and with all due respect standing in the game of Rugby League , Challenge Cup semi finalists in 2021 .

This indicates to me that the club is heading in a different direction .

What I mean by that is that it's probably going to accept what it is as a club with limited funds and with no real opportunity to grow much more than it is today .

It will pitch itself as a community club and involve itself in charitable local projects and grow the ladies team etc etc .

This is in my opinion a change from the globalist , neoliberal type concept we've seen since the days of Patrick Cryne .

It will be more Patrick Cryne with just with more community appeal attached to it .

There's definitely an acceptance of what the club really is , it's standing in the town and what it can realistically achieve on the field with this appointment and look to grow it's appeal in off the field projects and diversity on it .

That's how I see it , I could be wrong but the sale of the stadium and surrounding land to the council certainly ties in with my theory and now makes more sense than it did a few weeks ago now this appointment has been made with the background the new CEO has .

It's a bit of a brand change , I think that's probably the best way to describe the way the club is going in my opinion .

This may well fly in the face of those who think the club has let's say serious ambitions on the field to replicate something it's only ever experienced once in it's entire history .

I hope everything you say here Animal comes to fruition and honestly believe it’s time to accept reality and the powers that be we may well have.

I’m not sure how long Jon Flatman has been an employee of BFC but it’s been a while as I recall.

It leaves me wondering why it has taken so long to appoint him as CEO.
    Good luck to Jon anyway I hope he moves the club forward.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I hope everything you say here Animal comes to fruition and honestly believe it’s time to accept reality and the powers that be we may well have.
    I think Poggy just my opinion mind that the present board members from overseas have realised that the " there's money to be made here " sold to them by Lee and Conway was nothing more than a confidence trick / scam .

I think they are emotionally enough invested in the club to make the best fist of it they can just as long as it's not going to bleed them dry and have parked any thoughts of making a fast buck .

It's actually an admittance that the model actually doesn't work for their personal financial benefit but they've gained enough love for the town and club to stick around and focus their satisfaction away from money and more community based projects .

That's how I'm reading it because this CEO and his background is a different kettle of fish from the previous one who if the truth be told was a citizen of anywhere , same as Murphy and Goathair but way more than they were in looking at everything in customer terms rather than as stakeholders and fans .

Khalad was employed by Barnsley but not of Barnsley if that makes sense .

Rugby League and especially at York City Knights is way more community and fans orientated than football is today , these aren't businesses in the way football club's are .

York City Knights aren't ever going to compete at Super League level and they know that but they can have appeal none the less in the city of York and it's community .

Rugby League had an honest conversation with it's smaller club's 30 years ago in a way football never has , it more or less told them what they were and what they always would be and they needed to accept that in order to survive .

It's brutal but it's a realistic assessment .

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I’m not sure how long Jon Flatman has been an employee of BFC but it’s been a while as I recall.

It leaves me wondering why it has taken so long to appoint him as CEO.
    Good luck to Jon anyway I hope he moves the club forward.
    Probably a more economical choice than the previous incumbent who was on 220k per annum.

Good luck to the blowk ennyrooard. He surely must be better than Ahmed.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Probably a more economical choice than the previous incumbent who was on 220k per annum.

Good luck to the blowk ennyrooard. He surely must be better than Ahmed.
    I think we have accepted that we can't be that but realised we can be this , this appointment certainly suggests that .

My previous criticism that the club lacks ambition has now shifted somewhat due to this appointment , realism coupled with a different concept is probably nearer the mark , that's what I'm going with until I of course see things differently , I could be wrong of course .

Unfortunately football today has gone the way of society due to the economic model we all live under , the system is rigged to the benefit of the wealthy and that's the economic model that was rolled out in 1993 by the then big five who convinced enough club's to follow them knowing full well the wealth would be constrained to benefit them and them only .

Much like what was portrayed to the UK electorate in the 80's and has led to the biggest transformation of wealth to the richest in UK history .

The pull yourself up by your bootstraps , work hard and you'll enjoy the trappings is of course today simply Fools Gold .

More or less same as the club ever competing in the PL again other than the classic Barnsley underdog seasons which have happened but definitely not by design .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast