+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Jehovah’s Witnesses?

In a couple of weeks I have to attend my first ever funeral for one of the above, I wondered if any of you have ever been to one?

Although I’ve made a carer out of offending people and saying the wrong thing I’m going to do my best to be “on point” for this sad event.

My wife was surprised when my cousin rang her to give her the sad news by declaring that the poor girl who’d passed away had “gone to sleep”…..it seemed more like the way you’d describe a death to a child?

I don’t think the Jeahovah’s have a wake either, you get dispatched and then that’s it.

Easy to say the wrong thing at these events, I can see myself saying to someone, “I’m sorry X has gone to sleep” and seeing the look on their faces that tells me they think I’m an idiot!

Have any of you been to one?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    In a couple of weeks I have to attend my first ever funeral for one of the above, I wondered if any of you have ever been to one?

Although I’ve made a carer out of offending people and saying the wrong thing I’m going to do my best to be “on point” for this sad event.

My wife was surprised when my cousin rang her to give her the sad news by declaring that the poor girl who’d passed away had “gone to sleep”…..it seemed more like the way you’d describe a death to a child?

I don’t think the Jeahovah’s have a wake either, you get dispatched and then that’s it.

Easy to say the wrong thing at these events, I can see myself saying to someone, “I’m sorry X has gone to sleep” and seeing the look on their faces that tells me they think I’m an idiot!

Have any of you been to one?

Just go and say you love Jesus and say you too believe the end of the world is coming! Your be fine then 😂

Yes, mick I have been to a Jehovah’s Witness funeral. It was a friend who was the scorer at the cricket club that I played for. He wasn’t a Jehovahs Witness but his wife was. Most of us who attended thought it should have been a Christian service as he didn’t belong to that sect. As for the service, it was long and basically an advert for the movement. As for the statement ‘going to sleep’ I don’t remember hearing it but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Yes, mick I have been to a Jehovah’s Witness funeral. It was a friend who was the scorer at the cricket club that I played for. He wasn’t a Jehovahs Witness but his wife was. Most of us who attended thought it should have been a Christian service as he didn’t belong to that sect. As for the service, it was long and basically an advert for the movement. As for the statement ‘going to sleep’ I don’t remember hearing it but I could be wrong.
    Thanks Leicester, I’ll look forward to the extra long funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Thanks Leicester, I’ll look forward to the extra long funeral.
    Wouldn't worry about it too much Mick, it all seems pretty straight forward.......

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/funeral/

....... read a link which suggested services usually take between 15 to 30 minutes but I suppose it depends on who's actually doing it.

Been to a few funerals of differing faiths over the years. Some we've been out of fairly quickly and at others I've felt like I could have died of old age myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Wouldn't worry about it too much Mick, it all seems pretty straight forward.......

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/funeral/

....... read a link which suggested services usually take between 15 to 30 minutes but I suppose it depends on who's actually doing it.

Been to a few funerals of differing faiths over the years. Some we've been out of fairly quickly and at others I've felt like I could have died of old age myself.

I love the cheery funerals Dan and been to a couple where they are a real celebration. Get totally wrecked and a bit of sweet Caroline music to get everyone going!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I love the cheery funerals Dan and been to a couple where they are a real celebration. Get totally wrecked and a bit of sweet Caroline music to get everyone going!
    I’m not having any hilarity at my funeral, they can all be sat there for a long time miserable like they were during life with me.

There will be no Sweet Caroline either, my casket is disappearing to Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb.

My casket will enter the Crem to a song by The Tourists ( Annie Lennox ) called The Loneliest Man In The World.

I know how to give people a good time.

Not JW but the last 4 I've been to (non family) have all been of the non-religious type which seems to be more the norm these days (saves a lot of hypocrisy I suppose) They do seem to drag things out a bit I thnk with the departed's life history, although I've said from this you learn a lot of facts about people you never knew about them i.e. found out one guy I'd known for a number of years in early life was a session drummer who had backed a number of top artists. All this when it's too late to talk to them about it. (mind you yhe p***s ups afterwards were pretty good)

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOP115 View Post
    Not JW but the last 4 I've been to (non family) have all been of the non-religious type which seems to be more the norm these days (saves a lot of hypocrisy I suppose) They do seem to drag things out a bit I thnk with the departed's life history, although I've said from this you learn a lot of facts about people you never knew about them i.e. found out one guy I'd known for a number of years in early life was a session drummer who had backed a number of top artists. All this when it's too late to talk to them about it. (mind you yhe p***s ups afterwards were pretty good)
    I’ve only been thinking about my own funeral today Scoop, I don’t want any prayers or religion at mine and no hymns.

I want a few bits of my favourite music and I’m going to prepare my own eulogy, I figure I know myself better than anyone else.

If anyone wants to add their own bit afterwards that’s fine.

I want the cheapest possible casket and no headstone, ashes to be scattered at Watergate Bay in Cornwall.

I don’t want black at the funeral either.

I hope the wake is full of laughter and people taking the p I s s out of me.

I can’t think of anything better than a non religious service followed by a party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)