+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to talk about a new stadium

Is it time to talk about a new stadium

I know it’s been discussed before but with all the things that have happened over the last years how do we all feel
    My feelings would be to build a new state of the art stadium something to be proud of away from the current one
    If it could hold 100,000 more of us could watch and get tickets
    The revenue for the club would drastically increase so ffp would allow us to spend on players and compete more
    If a new stadium was built would that affect the ffp spending re the cost to build the stadium
    I fully understand that many people would be horrified at moving away but what are the other options
    Demolish the current ground and rebuild were would we go for the next two seasons ( the stadium of ****e ) don’t think so
    Add little bits to increase the capacity by 5,000 will this solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by 5under1and View Post
    I know it’s been discussed before but with all the things that have happened over the last years how do we all feel
    My feelings would be to build a new state of the art stadium something to be proud of away from the current one
    If it could hold 100,000 more of us could watch and get tickets
    The revenue for the club would drastically increase so ffp would allow us to spend on players and compete more
    If a new stadium was built would that affect the ffp spending re the cost to build the stadium
    I fully understand that many people would be horrified at moving away but what are the other options
    Demolish the current ground and rebuild were would we go for the next two seasons ( the stadium of ****e ) don’t think so
    Add little bits to increase the capacity by 5,000 will this solve the problem
    They wont build on the current site.. however I would be happy to have one in or around the city centre..

We need to look to the future

It’s a very interesting question and it’s a matter of prioritizing IMO.
    The priority has to be growing the financial power of NUFC. This has to override all other considerations otherwise we will never fulfill our potential.
    This means drastically increasing our capacity. If that cannot be done on the current site, then we have to move.
    Having a mega stadium on the banks of the Tyne would soon appease those who don’t want to move from the hill.
    If we could develop the current site to the required capacity (most people’s preference) then I reckon Murrayfield would be the best bet with live streaming to smaller venues in Newcastle eg. Gateshead Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It’s a very interesting question and it’s a matter of prioritizing IMO.
    The priority has to be growing the financial power of NUFC. This has to override all other considerations otherwise we will never fulfill our potential.
    This means drastically increasing our capacity. If that cannot be done on the current site, then we have to move.
    Having a mega stadium on the banks of the Tyne would soon appease those who don’t want to move from the hill.
    If we could develop the current site to the required capacity (most people’s preference) then I reckon Murrayfield would be the best bet with live streaming to smaller venues in Newcastle eg. Gateshead Stadium.
    Why Murrayfield?

Loads closer than a 3 hour drive.. Riverside and Elland Road etc

Quote Originally Posted by dailyaccount View Post
    nothing will match the SOL
    You cant even fill it.. there are more greggs wrappers than fans

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    Why Murrayfield?

Loads closer than a 3 hour drive.. Riverside and Elland Road etc
    Fixture congestion and because Murrayfield is bigger (65,000 odd).

Hi all
    Quite disappointing to get such little response on what should be such an important topic

Hi all
    Quite disappointing to get such little response on what should be such an important topic
    Probably because there's been a few threads on the subject in the last 18 months. As far as building a new stadium in the city centre; there is no room other than Leazes Park as the land around the Arena has been allocated for housing.

Hi all
    If you have a search I think quite a detailed one should appear - about 3 or 4 months ago.

Hi all
    It was a good question and the input is much appreciated but, aye, we've talked a lot about it and there's nothing new (that's concrete...no pun intended ...to talk about).

What I would say is that doing a 'Spurs' by building on part of the current footprint and extending into part of Leazes Park-which could, in turn, be extended onto the scrub land at Castle Leazes-would be my preferred option if extending the current stadium wasn't viable.

I think the latest suggestion of moving the facade of Leazes Terrace is an absolute non-starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)