+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LR recruitment without high fees

LR recruitment without high fees

Considering the only significant and real success LR was involved with was with Wigan, and basically they overspent and to a degree clearly “bought” success - otherwise where did the financial problem come from - where does it leave us?

Because if he can’t work with more modest signings to knit a squad, educate it to play….etc….then it could well be an issue.
    That is, without knowing or judging what he could be like, my overriding concern at this point
    Last edited by Millmoordays; 06-03-2024 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional

Quote Originally Posted by Millmoordays View Post
    Considering the only significant and real success LR was involved with was with Wigan, and basically they overspent and to a degree clearly “bought” success - otherwise where did the financial problem come from - where does it leave us?

Because if he can’t work with more modest signings to knit a squad, educate it to play….etc….then it could well be an issue.
    That is, without knowing or judging what he could be like, my overriding concern at this point
    Throwing money at the problem can work but it still can’t guarantee success, particularly when there are other clubs doing the same.

If we are to rebuild I think we need a “my way or highway” type manager and I don’t think LR fits that description

Quote Originally Posted by Millmoordays View Post

Don't we need to wait and see. Give the man a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Throwing money at the problem can work but it still can’t guarantee success, particularly when there are other clubs doing the same.

If we are to rebuild I think we need a “my way or highway” type manager and I don’t think LR fits that description
    I don't think TS would employ anyone like that either!

Didn't someone post on here that LR had a budget of around £13 million at Wigan?
    He'll be lucky if he gets half that with us......unless we get £10 million for Viktor which is highly unlikely.

Viktor will go for £2M tops, release clause in his contract..................UTM

''Therein lies the rub''.........LR was the 4th or 5th choice for the job.That is a fact that should never be forgotten.Whether he turns out a success or not remains to be seen.After all,he's the first person to say he's just entered the building, 12 weeks after he was appointed which must make it the longest foot wipe in football history.To be honest Millmoordays,I think all the answers to this season's shambles can only be ,like most things,answered by the future.Where will Morrison,Hall,Cafu,Ayala,Blackett,Ferguson, be playing their football next season? What I don't see at the moment is how LR is an improvement on MT,which considering he was 5th choice,probably neither do The Board.I always sensed with MT that he was obsessed with the job.I don't get that feeling with LR.I'm sure we'd have gone down with MT but would we have been in a better place with him in charge in League 1? Don't be surprised if 'The Gas' do us over next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

'My way or the highway doesn't work' when you are dealing with players who are contracted to the club and who will get paid irrespective of whether they play or how much the manager gives them the 'hairdrier' treatment.

A better approach would be to look for players with integrity and values - team players who will keep on running, work for the team and who will chase the game down even when it looks a lost cause. A 'good person' approach, if you will.

Sadly, a good person approach would just attract ridicule from some.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Didn't someone post on here that LR had a budget of around £13 million at Wigan?
    He'll be lucky if he gets half that with us......unless we get £10 million for Viktor which is highly unlikely.
    Which is exactly my point! It may or may not have been, but i’ll guarantee it was a darned sight more than he’ll get here..
    In theory the more you pay, the easier it is (assuming recruitment is accurate ��)

It's beyond doubt the more you pay the easier it is.

Whatever anyone might think about it, Rotherham United seems to be run in a fashion that places financial sustainability over success on the pitch.

With the above in mind that's why recruitment and the development of a team ethos is important. I suspect that's where MT went wrong - he tried to bring in more ball players than team players and it's all gone tits up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast