+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Only a club legend will be given enough time to sort this

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Árnason has no experience. Intelligent footballers don't necessarily equate to good managers, much the same as prodigiously talented players don't transfer very much to management styles or abilities.

The best way to get time for a manager to get the club on a solid path, with clear plans, would be for the club to communicate more with the fans. Doesn't matter so much who it is, so long as everyone is clear about the future, where we're hoping to go, and how we intend to get there. Above all else, my biggest gripe with the current ownership is the old-fashioned approach to running a business in a world where consumers expect to see more of the workings, have greater understanding of what's ahead, and see a real conviction in those running the club.
    Excellent post

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Richard Wood 100% should be brought back
    Why?

Is Millerbear retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Richard Wood 100% should be brought back
    We’ve seen that before, didn’t work to well first time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Why?

Is Millerbear retiring?
    No, but apparently some people think we need a defensive coach........😉

The manager, whoever that may be, isn't the real problem.
    The fact that the club is run like a glorified market stall by an autocrat with outdated methods is the real issue.

The best way to get time for a manager to get the club on a solid path, with clear plans, would be for the club to communicate more with the fans. Doesn't matter so much who it is, so long as everyone is clear about the future, where we're hoping to go, and how we intend to get there. Above all else, my biggest gripe with the current ownership is the old-fashioned approach to running a business in a world where consumers expect to see more of the workings, have greater understanding of what's ahead, and see a real conviction in those running the club.
    Didn't Tony try to do this a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQ1...otherhamUnited

I'd question if running a football club is the same as running most businesses in terms of such open comms, and I'm not sure as to the extent that even currently successful clubs such as Luton, Ipswich etc do this to any greater extent than Tony and Rob do in this video. If you know different I'm happy to learn.

Not to say that Tony and the leaders don't make mistakes etc. I'm sure that everyone can and should always learn from best operations elsewhere, but it seems like we're wishing for a lot of things that even then don't guarantee success. E.g. we can invest big time on improved training facilities, and maybe you should but it has to be paid for and that will likely impact on playing budget and success on the pitch at least in the short term. Maybe he should, but we will have to accept the potential risk on short term competitiveness if that costs a lot of money (I don't know how much, but it certainly seems to be the reason it hasn't happened thus far). The problem for Tony is that fans being fans, we are unlikely to accept poor short term performance on the pitch without demanding blood and Tony understands this I think. Might that be why whatever money he can invest, it tends to go into what might bring success on the pitch. In fairness also, Matt Taylor highlighted how happy he was with the backing he had from Tony in the transfer market so there does seem to at least have been a reasonably good investment there. But the problem seems to be that even with that, the odds are still hugely against us at this level without having an exceptional manager, that Matt proved not to be. But he did say he was well backed by the chairman on the pitch, and think that should be a bit more recognised. He did what we could afford to back the then manager, but even then to survive in the championship is still a huge challenge with all other clubs outspending us on wages.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

I'd question if running a football club is the same as running most businesses in terms of such open comms, and I'm not sure as to the extent that even currently successful clubs such as Luton, Ipswich etc do this to any greater extent than Tony and Rob do in this video. If you know different I'm happy to learn.

Not to say that Tony and the leaders don't make mistakes etc. I'm sure that everyone can and should always learn from best operations elsewhere, but it seems like we're wishing for a lot of things that even then don't guarantee success. E.g. we can invest big time on improved training facilities, and maybe you should but it has to be paid for and that will likely impact on playing budget and success on the pitch at least in the short term. Maybe he should, but we will have to accept the potential risk on short term competitiveness if that costs a lot of money (I don't know how much, but it certainly seems to be the reason it hasn't happened thus far). The problem for Tony is that fans being fans, we are unlikely to accept poor short term performance on the pitch without demanding blood and Tony understands this I think. Might that be why whatever money he can invest, it tends to go into what might bring success on the pitch. In fairness also, Matt Taylor highlighted how happy he was with the backing he had from Tony in the transfer market so there does seem to at least have been a reasonably good investment there. But the problem seems to be that even with that, the odds are still hugely against us at this level without having an exceptional manager, that Matt proved not to be. But he did say he was well backed by the chairman on the pitch, and think that should be a bit more recognised. He did what we could afford to back the then manager, but even then to survive in the championship is still a huge challenge with all other clubs outspending us on wages.
    The Rob Scott 'promotion' hasn't felt at all like a man being backed, just one who's been given a new pair of stepladders and a slightly tighter noose in case he needs to go - more pressure, more housekeeping, no clearly enhanced autonomy.

The Rob Scott 'promotion' hasn't felt at all like a man being backed, just one who's been given a new pair of stepladders and a slightly tighter noose in case he needs to go - more pressure, more housekeeping, no clearly enhanced autonomy.
    How do you know the details of this though Ulley?

Also, you didn't answer the points about the recents comms in the video linked. Isn't this comms with fans? And what other clubs can you point to that have the kind of comms that you are expecting of our leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

How likely do you think it is that a manager would say he was unhappy with the backing he'd had from the chairman? Hmm.

The problem is we are run like a lower 3rd tier club and arguably worse than that. When we go into the Champ we do it on a wing and a prayer. There is a limit what we can do financially but we can tidy up other areas of the club.

Losing 8 on the bounce in the Champ is prob the best we can aspire to with our set up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast