+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Donny

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    A really good article in the ST discussing the differing tactics used by Pep and Klopp to win games, spec against each other. . It goes back to their time in Germany.
    But hey, that’s coaching!
    You are confused as many fans are...Those managers are managers and not coaches. They would hardly do any coaching but what they do is to sign great players and then set the tactics of the game. That is why only one manager is needed. Having four managers at league basement fourth division is embarrassing and removes money from the players budget. It has too..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 10-03-2024 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    You are confused as many fans are...Those managers are managers and not coaches. They would hardly do any coaching but what they do is to sign great players and then set the tactics of the game. That is why only one manager is needed. Having four managers at league basement fourth division is embarrassing and removes money from the players budget. It has too..
    My mistake…on several levels.

I apologize with my arrogant reply but you make a good point in that are those two managers, managers or are they coaches as in my mind nobody seeme to know the difference. I don't as I never knew and still don't know what a 'coach' does. They cannot possibly teach anyone how to kick a ball,dribble, shoot, throw a ball or take a pen and so what are they for? I can see one manager is needed and possibly an assistant but that is all.

You could ask another question? Would any of those two managers you mentioned be able to make Sheff United a 'much' better team and get them in top two three in the PL? PL managers are being paid millions as are the players and the same old half dozen clubs keep the same league positions top and bottom most seasons. Do you think its the manager/coach that makes the difference in success or the natural ability of the players? What is the difference between a PL player and the ones playing in L1 and L2?

Mourhino could not do anything with ManU. Was that because he was a poor coach or other clubs had better players?

I am suggesting the manager/coach makes very little diference but then you could point to Alex Ferguson and argue the opposite. Was it him or the great players he had?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 10-03-2024 at 03:50 PM.

You should know better!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    You should know better!
    You all can learn a lot more about how football should be played if you took the trouble to answer the points I made...Like what coaching does the PL players get when they are almost all international players and the coaches are second rate who never played this game at a high level.ie what do they know that the players knew when they were ten years old.

I knew exactly what I needed to do as a wing half and possibly could have made the grade according to my manager. He never told me how to play. I ask again....What are the coaches for? What are 4 managers on the touchline for. When you cannot answer these simple questions then sorry but you will remain ignorant of this very simple game that you create chances when you attack the opposition in numbers and not sodding about in your own half. Perhaps I could train some of these coaches in the basics of the game. Yep, I know nobody will answer these questions and remain cave bound in ignorance. Even Dario said the coaches at RH spend most of their time in front of a computer assessing each player for the FA records.

Not one player that I saw personally was better than Jimmy Greaves 60 years ago now and he needed not one ounce of coaching..Nobody could head a ball like Frank Lord and he again needed no coaching. Its a great scheme for ex footballers though.....Please try and learn something about this game. Maybe most of you never played it??

How is your ex broken hip going?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 10-03-2024 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    You all can learn a lot more about how football should be played if you took the trouble to answer the points I made...Like what coaching does the PL players get when they are almost all international players and the coaches are second rate who never played this game at a high level.ie what do they know that the players knew when they were ten years old.

I knew exactly what I needed to do as a wing half and possibly could have made the grade according to my manager. He never told me how to play. I ask again....What are the coaches for? What are 4 managers on the touchline for. When you cannot answer these simple questions then sorry but you will remain ignorant of this very simple game that you create chances when you attack the opposition in numbers and not sodding about in your own half. Perhaps I could train some of these coaches in the basics of the game. Yep, I know nobody will answer these questions and remain cave bound in ignorance. Even Dario said the coaches at RH spend most of their time in front of a computer assessing each player for the FA records.

Not one player that I saw personally was better than Jimmy Greaves 60 years ago now and he needed not one ounce of coaching..Nobody could head a ball like Frank Lord and he again needed no coaching. Its a great scheme for ex footballers though.....Please try and learn something about this game. Maybe most of you never played it??

How is your ex broken hip going?
    My fractured hip seems to be coming along nicely but will need an X-ray in 3 more weeks to confirm that. Thanks for asking🙂.

Genuine question: do you go along with various pundits who reckon that referees don't really understand the game because they have "never played, themselves"? I ask as you often mention your own playing background in relation to 'knowing the game'. It's just my experience that, having played a lot but having been pretty crap (except as a goalkeeper) I like to think I have a fair but not expert grasp of the game. In contrast, I have known/ played with relatively talented people who couldn't analyse their way out of a wet paper bag never mind understand the laws of the game.
    As I said, a genuine question. Clearly, you can give me your considered answer or ignore me but please can I ask that you don't rant a response. Ta!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    My fractured hip seems to be coming along nicely but will need an X-ray in 3 more weeks to confirm that. Thanks for asking��.

Genuine question: do you go along with various pundits who reckon that referees don't really understand the game because they have "never played, themselves"? I ask as you often mention your own playing background in relation to 'knowing the game'. It's just my experience that, having played a lot but having been pretty crap (except as a goalkeeper) I like to think I have a fair but not expert grasp of the game. In contrast, I have known/ played with relatively talented people who couldn't analyse their way out of a wet paper bag never mind understand the laws of the game.
    As I said, a genuine question. Clearly, you can give me your considered answer or ignore me but please can I ask that you don't rant a response. Ta!
    I post re rant as cannot tell the difference. Apologies for the length of my post but its supposed to be a discussion forum. I hate one liners...

I'm glad your hip is progressing well. I ask too many questions and so how did this injury happen? Just a fall etc?

Some say constructive criticism and some say its slagging the team off. I should say that I love this club I have supported for nearly 70 years and always wanted the best from them and as you know as fans we have had a very chequered history and no doubt that will continue. Players and managers come and go and so we have to go with the flow.

I am also glad you asked that question as I am mostly banging my head against the wall and gazan that is because of football's history and the fact some old uns such as me have seen great and good and poor players over the years and they really did not have much coaching and in my little mind football is not as good as the old days although the pitches are far better and the players are a lot fitter than they used to be. But I think the skills are mostly gone now because the defence packs the pitch and so players don't get the freedom they had back then. That to me is detrimental to the game as to me its all about scoring goals and to go 96 minutes with a couple of direct shots or even no shots kills the excitement of the game. Anyway, back to your question. IMV coaching is a cover to employ ex Pro's as no naturally talented player needs coaching. The manager is there to suggest the tactics of how to beat the opposition and actually nothing more. Dario was different he wanted his team to play well the whole time even if we won 5-0 he would complain. He was a great manager and coach? Well we can all make our own minds up.

I was a midfield player who thought a lot about the way we played and always tried to try something novel and different and scored 3 goals in the first half one time and didn't like doing that as their GK was a friend of mine. I think it helps a lot to have played the game as it gives a greater understanding of HOW to play the game. Of course Lee Bell and other managers like Nigel Clough have played it too and they will see the game different to the referees on many an occasion. Its also a fact that not many great players become good managers as few succeed when they try.

Every team no matter what the level has its great players, its very good players, good players and average players and some poor players. These are in every team you care to mention at whatever level. In the old days you had to be a good player to play league football and they were signed by clubs on that basis. Great one went to the PL and the good ones further down. You didn't actually see that many really bad players but there were some of course. It makes no sense to me to coach 6 year olds or ten year olds or 15 year olds and to me that is a massive waste of money as nobody knows how their bodies and mind will turn out when they are adult players.. Not just that these young players are vastly prone to injuries as we see and again in the old days you rarely saw 18 year olds on the pitch although there were some that came along.

That is why I am against academies other than for training and fitness and match tactics before games.
    You will know in the old days the game was a lot more violent and hard and the pitches attrocious and few players today would have trouble playing on them and actually you had to be pretty fit to play 90 mins and no subs back then and to me having all these subs spoil the game and annoys players when they get taken off early unless they are injured. It not the laws of the game that bother me but the tactics of teams playing too deep and defensively and see what happened when we did that against Morecombe for example. That was very poor management and please don't get me on how many managers and coaches we need as one and probably an assistant I could go with. I only ever played with one manager in charge and he never ever coached us in any way as we all knew what we needed to do in a match and add flair to our game if we could. It makes no sense having three or four managers all shouting at the players who are brainwashed in many ways against the talent they have as they try and do what the managers tell them or they are dropped etc. We have signed players in the past who would fall out with the managers on the touchline as they are insulted by second raters telling them how to play. If we had great and good players in the past, why do we need academies now my friend? I don't say that to make headlines LOL but because like Jimmy Greaves, I believe it to be true. The rules of the game never really bothered me to be honest and so I'm not sure I have answered your questions?

I think its essential to have played the game to really understand what is happening on the pitch and you did get dirty buggers in the game who thought nothing of trying to break your leg etc..I don't think players should be sent off as it spoils the game for the fans. Have them off for periods of time in the match is my suggestion.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 11-03-2024 at 05:33 PM.

gazan, I will add this though..

I think your comments following marches are very good as you cover all the bad stuff as well as the good stuff and so ignore some of the criticism I have generally on here...I would have thought the old ones on here who have witnessed many matches over the years would be far more reticent on the idea of academies for kids and having multiple managers...Bill Nicholson of Spurs in the 60's as they we my other fav team then, he was the manager of the whole club and now you have chief coaches and intermidiate ones and player development managers,,,Its a load of crap in my opinion. Get rid and pay the players more...

Belated comment to frogpole Yeah , was actually very surprised that someone else hadn’t already bagged my epithet . I was expecting to have to put a number after it 🤗

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234