+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. AFC Wimbledon 09.03.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    It reminds me of what Hardy did paying compensation for Harry Kewell, even tho Hardy did it himself by sacking Nolan, where LW left and it was forced on the brothers to make a replacement
    I reckon the compensation would have been pretty minimal with them being part time and dwarfed by what we got for Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I reckon the compensation would have been pretty minimal with them being part time and dwarfed by what we got for Williams.
    Probably was not much - but it makes you wonder why they paid anything SM is poor - surely they could got something better for free

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I hope you're not mistaken. This isn't going to work out regardless of how long he's given IMHO.

If he does stay he needs a mentor/DOF figure, a la NW. He's in a downwards spiral and I'm not sure he knows how to get out of it. I wonder what LW is thinking from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I hope you're not mistaken. This isn't going to work out regardless of how long he's given IMHO.
    Bloody hell Swale, when you post a negative comment things must be bad! I'm 85% sure you're right, but I'm not prepared to give up on Maynard just yet. On the games I've seen we've deserved more points than we got, but my big concern is that we're a shadow of the team we could be. We are lacking passion and motivation, and that's a huge part of being a successful manager. I hoped Maynard would bring that because Wealdstone always performed above their capability, but we're performing below ours. My gut feeling is that the brothers have got this wrong, but because we aren't in relegation danger I would stick with him a bit longer, although I admit it's more in hope than expectation.

“You can ignore reality. You cannot ignore the consequences of reality.”

Maybe Maynard isn't the world's best motivator but that doesn't excuse the lacklustre displays by the players. If they're sulking because Williams has gone then they need to ask how that will work out for them, for the great majority of them the only way is down and on their current performances I can't see a long queue for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Probably was not much - but it makes you wonder why they paid anything SM is poor - surely they could got something better for free
    Because they believed/believe in him, I’m not giving up on him yet and the players have to take responsibility especially where it’s individual errors.

The problems sit entirely on the players shoulders. Maynard may not be the manager many people think Williams was but it was Slocombe not Maynard whose awful clearance/pass gave them a throw in for the first and the players, not Maynard's collective negligence for the second.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I really feel for Maynard, I thought we were decent enough today. It’s up to players to sort themselves on set plays, was Rawlinson just unlucky? The second ones more unforgivable.
    I would have taken Chicksen off earlier, as they were just sat back in a back 5 for most of the game.
    I did take the positive that 2 of our younger players (Robertson and Macari) were very good.
    Is Stuart Maynard unlucky I ask myself? Mansfield and Wrexham away now AFC Wimbledon at home. All games where we deserved more but got nothing. Then the Newport and Barrow games a good four points based on the oppositions form.

There were those games that were horror shows or littered with individual errors such as Sutton, Crewe and Gillingham.

For me playoffs are gone now. We've got 7 points from the last ten games and have been stuck in the 40-49 point bracket since we beat Morecombe 5-0 on boxing day. The last eleven games are now a test to see if SM can turn it around. If we can get 15 points and finish around 60-65 points that will be an upturn and should see a top half finish.

It really has been the worst possible start to 2024 we could have imagined but I'm not giving up on SM yet. I want to see how he does against teams that LW beat as there has only been one game Gillingham so far that LW got a better result.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 09-03-2024 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Is Stuart Maynard unlucky I ask myself? Mansfield and Wrexham away now AFC Wimbledon at home. All games where we deserved more but got nothing. Then the Newport and Barrow games a good four points based on the oppositions form.

There were those games that were horror shows or littered with individual errors such as Sutton, Crewe and Gillingham.

For me playoffs are gone now. We've got 7 points from the last ten games and have been stuck in the 40-49 point bracket since we beat Morecombe 5-0 on boxing day. The last eleven games are now a test to see if SM can turn it around. If we can get 15 points and finish around 60-65 points that will be an upturn and should see a top half finish.

It really has been the worst possible start to 2024 we could have imagined but I'm not giving up on SM yet. I want to see how he does against teams that LW beat as there has only been one game Gillingham so far that LW got a better result.
    Gotta say your thing about comparing Maynard’s and Williams results against the same teams is a bit odd. We play Crawley on Tuesday I don’t see any relevance to anything as to how we did against them the best part of 3 months ago. Even less so against Accy who we played 6 months ago.

I think you’re better off looking at the evidence of your own eyes at matches now.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast