+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Season

This Season

So, on the prediction threads on where we would finish this season, I said I would be happy with not being relegated this season and I stand by that. A lot has gone off this season and I feel we need to use what we are / have gone through positively to adjust, learn and alter our direction for next season. effectively we need to write this season off and prepare correctly for next season.

There is a lot wrong and we should take these next few months to rectify the issues. It's clear that recruitment manager / player wise on the whole has been abysmal (and on the cheap, or not used evenly over all areas of the team) , obviously something has changed in that area as when SM was appointed it was said that he was going to help identifying targets, usually targets would have been identified well in advance.

The other thing that won't go down well with some is that the Brothers have severely underestimated what's needed to be stable or competitive in this league, including coach / manager, players etc. If they standby SM and things start off bad next season I feel things will turn nasty very quickly. Personally, I think we need an established manager who knows this league, what players are needed, what works and what doesn't unfortunately going that way will mean this 'Philosophy' the brothers want would need to go. It's a nice idea, but it won't work certainly with the players we have, we got away with a lot last season, but the step up this season shows the step up in quality and we have been made to pay. It hasn't taken long for most League 2 teams to suss out how to beat us. Forget this season, correct the mistakes and look forward to 2024 / 2025.

It isn't not getting promoted this season which worries me - it's the fact our manager has shown nothing to suggest that we would be in contention for anything but relegation on his time in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    So, on the prediction threads on where we would finish this season, I said I would be happy with not being relegated this season and I stand by that. A lot has gone off this season and I feel we need to use what we are / have gone through positively to adjust, learn and alter our direction for next season. effectively we need to write this season off and prepare correctly for next season.

There is a lot wrong and we should take these next few months to rectify the issues. It's clear that recruitment manager / player wise on the whole has been abysmal (and on the cheap, or not used evenly over all areas of the team) , obviously something has changed in that area as when SM was appointed it was said that he was going to help identifying targets, usually targets would have been identified well in advance.

The other thing that won't go down well with some is that the Brothers have severely underestimated what's needed to be stable or competitive in this league, including coach / manager, players etc. If they standby SM and things start off bad next season I feel things will turn nasty very quickly. Personally, I think we need an established manager who knows this league, what players are needed, what works and what doesn't unfortunately going that way will mean this 'Philosophy' the brothers want would need to go. It's a nice idea, but it won't work certainly with the players we have, we got away with a lot last season, but the step up this season shows the step up in quality and we have been made to pay. It hasn't taken long for most League 2 teams to suss out how to beat us. Forget this season, correct the mistakes and look forward to 2024 / 2025.
    To be fair to the owners they have no experience of EFL football, and i couldnt agree more what worked in the NL will not work in L2. Like it took them 4 seasons to work out what was required in the NL.i think it will take them 3 or 4 years to make a team capable of reaching L1 - you only got to look at Mansfield its took them 8 years to get to what they are now . Saying that though Clough at one time flirted with the bottom 2 in L2 , and look at him now - patience is required

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    To be fair to the owners they have no experience of EFL football, and i couldnt agree more what worked in the NL will not work in L2. Like it took them 4 seasons to work out what was required in the NL.i think it will take them 3 or 4 years to make a team capable of reaching L1 - you only got to look at Mansfield its took them 8 years to get to what they are now . Saying that though Clough at one time flirted with the bottom 2 in L2 , and look at him now - patience is required
    Clough had previous EFL experience, there is no apparent reason to be patient with SM. This season is oover realistically and he should not be here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Clough had previous EFL experience, there is no apparent reason to be patient with SM. This season is oover realistically and he should not be here next season.
    True - Clough did have good experience and success elsewhere- i said this earlier talent or ability is usually shown early either at the current club or elsewhere - SM has neither

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    True - Clough did have good experience and success elsewhere- i said this earlier talent or ability is usually shown early either at the current club or elsewhere - SM has neither
    I know it will enrage some but Mansfields set up is what I think we should be aiming for to progress

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I know it will enrage some but Mansfields set up is what I think we should be aiming for to progress
    Clough brought in lots of "been there done it" types of players who he knows like Akins, Quinn and Flint. These are the "no frills" players that are solid and give the team a base to build. We don't have that, even with Matty Palmer we were still conceding goals.

The step up from not only non league but also working full time in the football league is clearly too much of a step for SM. I'm surprised the brothers have taken this chance that looks likely to fail. I'll be suprised if he's still in charge come the end of the season as it'll have a heavy impact of season ticket sales next season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The step up from not only non league but also working full time in the football league is clearly too much of a step for SM. I'm surprised the brothers have taken this chance that looks likely to fail. I'll be suprised if he's still in charge come the end of the season as it'll have a heavy impact of season ticket sales next season as well.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at candidates right now and replace him in a couple of weeks. They aren't idiots but they must know that we don't have many out of contract at the end of the season so we are going to have to shift rubbish out with a coach who looks to have already lost the dressing room.

LW got a tune out of these somehow to a point. If Maynard isn't replaced, I will be placing an early bet on relegation for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if they were looking at candidates right now and replace him in a couple of weeks. They aren't idiots but they must know that we don't have many out of contract at the end of the season so we are going to have to shift rubbish out with a coach who looks to have already lost the dressing room.

LW got a tune out of these somehow to a point. If Maynard isn't replaced, I will be placing an early bet on relegation for next season
    Imagine if this clown is still in charge at the start of next season and some how keeps his job till September/October time.
    We’ll be going down and possibly struggle to recover from a poor start with his inept tactical and man management skills that’s what worries me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast